Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Lord of the Rings Trilogy Theater Screenings

Erethen
The Shire

Aug 20, 11:10pm

Post #1 of 12 (2304 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings Trilogy Theater Screenings Can't Post

My local theater chain collaborates with a company called Flashback Cinema. Every Wednesday and Sunday they show movies ranging from decades to a few years ago.

Today, I checked the September schedule and was delighted to see the trilogy will be a part of this throughout the month. Better yet, itís apparently the extended editions. I immediately got tickets for all three movies.

I highly suggest checking if your theater participates in these. I cannot believe I get to see these movies on the big screen again!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 21, 12:35am

Post #2 of 12 (2252 views)
Shortcut
It would be wonderful to see them in cinemas all over again. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 21, 7:14am

Post #3 of 12 (2214 views)
Shortcut
Wellington trilogy screening: Fri-Sat 20-21 September [In reply to] Can't Post

Roxy Cinema, Miramar, begins at 7:00 pm that Friday. The theatrical versions.
https://www.roxycinema.co.nz/the-lord-of-the-rings

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Aug 21, 7:15am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 22, 3:04pm

Post #4 of 12 (2177 views)
Shortcut
Excellent!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely grab any chance you get to see LotR on the BIG SCREEN! And for them to do the extended version is wonderful :D AWESOME!!! *geeky hand clapping*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Solicitr
Rohan

Aug 22, 3:14pm

Post #5 of 12 (2178 views)
Shortcut
That [In reply to] Can't Post

isn't necessarily a given. While the EE of Fellowship was an improvement, especially in restoring much cut Lorien footage, I think that with the other two movies PJ was right to cut those extra bits from the theatrical releases. (Cascading mountain of skulls? Seriously?)

More is not always better (vide Apocalypse Now Redux).

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 22, 3:34pm

Post #6 of 12 (2173 views)
Shortcut
I can't argue too much. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I could have done without the falling skulls myself. On the other hand, Saruman deserved to get his death scene; that really should not have had to wait for an extended edition.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 22, 3:35pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 22, 8:47pm

Post #7 of 12 (2138 views)
Shortcut
Theatrical TTT didn't flow very well, IMO. [In reply to] Can't Post

By and large, I thought the extended editions of FOTR and TTT were improvements, but the theatrical ROTK has more punch than the extended version (with the notable exception of Eomer finding Eowyn on the battlefield - I wish that had made it into the theatrical).

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Solicitr
Rohan

Aug 22, 11:01pm

Post #8 of 12 (2123 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yeah, I could have done without the falling skulls myself. On the other hand, Saruman deserved to get his death scene; that really should not have had to wait for an extended edition.

That really should not have had to wait for the third movie

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 22, 11:41pm

Post #9 of 12 (2115 views)
Shortcut
Only because... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it had been moved up to earlier in the story! After all, Tolkien placed it after the climax. Tongue

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 22, 11:44pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 23, 11:21am

Post #10 of 12 (2058 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the eedvds :) PJ baked me a 3-layer cake with chocolate frosting!!! *slaver slurp* If I run into a bit of eggshell... that's ok with me. The rest of the cake is quite yummy!!!

(can you tell I'm on a diet? ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 23, 11:23am)

Solicitr
Rohan

Aug 23, 2:31pm

Post #11 of 12 (2052 views)
Shortcut
Subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...it had been moved up to earlier in the story! After all, Tolkien placed it after the climax. Tongue

Well, the confrontation at Orthanc and Saruman's neutralization. He was after all the Big Bad of Book III, and his storyline required closure within that context, not tacked onto the start of the Minas Tirith story as an afterthought.

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Aug 27, 4:27pm

Post #12 of 12 (1924 views)
Shortcut
None in Utah [In reply to] Can't Post

Grrrrrr!!! No showings in Utah. I saw FOTR on the big screen last year when AMC I think it was did special screenings. I couldn't make it to the other two. Eventually I'm sure they'll be on the big screen again somewhere in Utah, I just don't want to have to wait who knows how long!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.