The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
A potentially antisocial act

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 7 2008, 9:29am

Post #1 of 5 (399 views)
Shortcut
A potentially antisocial act Can't Post

I've had an Earthlink account for years, that I used for dialup access while traveling. It has a mailbox which I never use, and 10 Mb of "free" web space. Nowadays, anywhere you go there's broadband (hotels, friends & relatives, etc.), so I don't really need the account. And the 10 Mb is almost full: of many images and pdfs, mostly in support of things like chapter discussions on TORn.

I could keep this account forever, for $14.95/mo, in order that all the links to things in archived messages over 5 years of TORn activity will live, but I'm seriously considering tossing it (I can get lots of web space elsewhere much cheaper).

Occasional dead links in archived messages remind me that other people have done this, but I feel guilty. I don't suppose there's any way to update the old links, is there? It would be just a matter of globally replacing the path before the filename.

New grandson of Elizabeth, b. 2/25/2008

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 10 2008, 3:47am

Post #2 of 5 (258 views)
Shortcut
When will your account expire? [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be wonderful if you could maintain those supporting images to your old discussions, but given the needless expense for something that probably is accessed infrequently, it's quite understandable that you may decide to drop them. Thank you for giving us all fair warning of the change.

But how long until they're gone? And do you remember which discussions this material pertains to? Your June 2005 discussion of The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien is one that comes to mind. What are the others? In case someone should wish to, say, save thumbnail reminders to accompany transcripts?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us May 5-11 for "The White Rider".

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 12 2008, 4:15am

Post #3 of 5 (184 views)
Shortcut
I'm not yet decided. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still experimenting with a new site, which comes with my broadband account and has 100 Mb compared with 10 at the old place, but it's giving me trouble. Dunno, in fact, whether my footer on this message will work.

I could easily move everything, but I don't think there's any way to globally edit the old links.

Yes, the letters are probably the main thing folks might want. There are a lot of images, too.

Ride with us in the Reading Room this week to see
the King of the Golden Hall!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 12 2008, 4:27am

Post #4 of 5 (221 views)
Shortcut
As you can see, it's broken. [In reply to] Can't Post

The site apparently won't take hot links. So nothing will happen until I get that sorted. This footer is on the old site.

Ride with us in the Reading Room this week to see
the King of the Golden Hall!

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on May 12 2008, 4:28am)

Magpie
Immortal

May 12 2008, 1:36pm

Post #5 of 5 (247 views)
Shortcut
yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

the image displays fine when you put the url in the address field.

That's a bit crappy not to be able to display your images at another site. I just tried to help someone who bought a domain name through a company. He wanted to have a redirect on the domain name's main page send people to his blogger site. The company did not allow you to upload any individualized code at all. You could only use their templates to insert text and images and format the text and the background colors of the page. To upload that one line of html code he'd need to pay more. So he's got this domain name that he can't use for the purposes he wanted it for.

It sounds like this little web storage space has similar limitations to it. You can use it for what this but not for that.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.