Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
thrift shop find: Pacific island art???

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Aug 17, 3:03pm

Post #1 of 10 (303 views)
Shortcut
thrift shop find: Pacific island art??? Can't Post

I pulled up to the Community Aid in Hanover PA with a shipload of stuff from my kitchen cupboard (really, am I ever going to make a bundt cake? Nooooooo.)

Propped against the donation sign was a four foot tall carving with a fish, a palm tree and an oddly awesome face that seemed to combine characteristics of much of humanity: a straight blond beard, a twist top of black hair like a wave, and a brown skinned face (the color of the wood) with features that might be anything.

Its one piece of wood, the back is hollow, and there is a small carved hole under the topknot of hair. Has a hanger so may have been done for the tourist industry. How old is who knows? Did someone inherit an estate and go, what IS this??? I cant imagine anyone who traveled to a faraway place giving up an iconic bit of local art.

So reaching out anywhere I can think of to try to identify what this is.

It vaguely resembles some New Caledonia/Melanisian art (long face, straight beard)...

but, um... yeah...

It's an original carving and may or may not be old. Probably picked up somewhere by a tourist, then not wanted by the progeny at the estate sale (guessing).

I think it's quite fabulous.

pics etc here:

https://swordwhale.wordpress.com/...hrift-shop-treasure/

Goals: crazy dragon lady, mermaid (for the rest, just see my profile)

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Ml 'lain nallol, I sl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

(This post was edited by swordwhale on Aug 17, 3:04pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Aug 17, 3:13pm

Post #2 of 10 (277 views)
Shortcut
just in case the pics didn't link [In reply to] Can't Post

https://swordwhale.files.wordpress.com/....jpg?w=405&h=809

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 17, 6:02pm

Post #3 of 10 (271 views)
Shortcut
Interesting piece of folk art(?). [In reply to] Can't Post

If it were me, I'd be tempted to take that in to some Antiques Roadshow-type event and see what the experts there might make of it.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

squire
Half-elven

Aug 17, 8:42pm

Post #4 of 10 (267 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting mystery [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried searching for this piece or elements of it and have come up blank so far. My best guess is it is a contemporary piece that draws on a native art tradition, but from what land or group I can't make out.

I did find this (on the left), from the Ivory Coast in Africa, which has a similar facial line and incised hair patterns

But I'm not crazy about this possibility. On your piece the face seems more Melanasian, the beard is remarkable, and one can't just ignore the incorporation of iconic elements (the fish and the tree) above the face.

Do let us know if you ever find out what this is and who it was made by.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 17, 10:05pm

Post #5 of 10 (259 views)
Shortcut
Or an antique shop that deals in wood. [In reply to] Can't Post

They might at least be able to identify if the piece is freshly carved or not.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 18, 12:22am

Post #6 of 10 (254 views)
Shortcut
Maybe check New Zealand's Te Papa online collections? [In reply to] Can't Post

help with identifying items:
https://www.tepapa.govt.nz/...treasure-or-specimen
about Te Papa collections online:
https://www.tepapa.govt.nz/...t-collections-online
Pacific Cultures Collection and Pacific Cultures Contemporary Collection:
https://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/topic/1330
https://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/topic/1335

They could perhaps point you towards the most likely cultures or islands and you could continue from there.
Good luck!

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Aug 18, 9:04pm

Post #7 of 10 (228 views)
Shortcut
How intriguing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say it looks newish to me, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Interesting and impressive items do still turn up in charity shops and at car boot sales from time to time, as any viewer of 'Antiques Roadshow' will see fairly regularly. I hope you find out more about your new wooden wonder!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 18, 11:55pm

Post #8 of 10 (224 views)
Shortcut
Wow... that's beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no idea what it is or where it came from... but it's obviously a serious piece of artwork! I think you're on the right track of what it is, though. Wow...

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Sat, 8:23pm

Post #9 of 10 (56 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

wow, I haven't checked in in awhile,

good ideas all.

He's the Guardian of my inner house door now. Perhaps I'll figure out where he came from at some point!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sun, 2:16pm

Post #10 of 10 (39 views)
Shortcut
A Quest! Happy Hunting! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.