Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets keys, unlocks door* It's Friday - let's Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 18, 3:00pm

Post #26 of 48 (618 views)
Shortcut
OH NO!!! :( [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so so sorry.... a trauma and violation that is so hard to move past. I'm glad no one was physically hurt, but how do you feel safe again? Maybe a Pit Bull in the back seat, too?

It figures the job & boss would heap on top of everything else. If he's having trouble dealing with his pressure and feels the need to diminish others is a lack of leadership and self control. It's hard to trust there again, too.

I'm so glad you found an angel in your driver. I wonder if he knows how much his respect and caring means to you. AND I'm so glad you're left more with your impression and appreciation of the interaction with him rather than all the other "stuff" dumped on you before. Good for you... and hang in there. The good souls out there are definitely the ones worthy of your thoughts and feelings and far out-number the baddies :) *big hug*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 18, 4:49pm

Post #27 of 48 (604 views)
Shortcut
Congrats! Praise you with great praise! // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 18, 5:01pm

Post #28 of 48 (607 views)
Shortcut
Ugh. Very sorry for the Orc incident. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that feeling. Once while growing up, and me being awake doing homework, some people broke into our garage and also tried to steal our pickup parked outside. Our dogs scared them off (and there was some satisfaction in hearing the robbers squeal in fright), but that sense of violation lingers. We take a lot of things for granted, which is normal, such as the bed I laid in last night will be there again tonight, etc. We couldn't get through the day re-questioning everything. But a robbery does make you wonder "what's next?" and undermines that "take it all for granted" sense of peace we have.

Anyway, glad you're putting it in a good light: neither of you were harmed, which is much more important. And stuff is replaceable.

A note on this:

The conversation then related this to the robbery/work incidents, and it ended with him wishing me all the best and noting that as he gets older, his appreciation for every human being's complexity, secrets and hardships only increases.

I would say from my own amateur & middle-aged perspective that people do branch into one of two directions as they age: they appreciate and tolerate other people more, or they nitpick them more. If it takes enlightened self-interest to be the motivator, then the first path leads to a much happier old age vs. a bitter one. But so many people take the latter. Glad you met the former type at the right time.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 18, 5:06pm

Post #29 of 48 (607 views)
Shortcut
So, a layman's question for you on a Master's [In reply to] Can't Post

In my contact with academics such as historians, I've learned that contrary to popular notions, a PhD in English history doesn't mean someone knows *everything* about English history, and to the contrary, they become more specialized as they go up the degree ladder, and they probably spent their PhD studying something pretty specific, such as Henry VIII's 3rd wife's allergies or whatever.

So, I'm just curious if it's the same with pharmacy: did you learn more about "everything" in pharmacy, or was it a way to specialize, which I think you indicated by bringing up hospice/palliative care? Overall, I'm wondering if professional degrees work the same as liberal arts degrees.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 18, 6:43pm

Post #30 of 48 (599 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm . Not an easy question when it comes to Hospice and Palliative Care [In reply to] Can't Post

The short answer - my Masters is an academic degree with professional application.

It happens that I am one of the last dinosaurs with a Bachelors Degree is Pharmacy and this is an advanced degree from that, but it isn't a continuation of that degree. If I were to go on to the terminal degree in my field of pharmacy, that would be a PharmD and that would be how to learn a bit of everything. Once you're there, you can do residencies to learn a specialty where you become more versed in a specific area of pharmacy - nuclear pharmacy, geriatric pharmacy, even veterinary pharmacy.

But because Hospice and Palliative Care is interdisciplinary - we had physicians, nurses, social workers, chaplains, pharmacists, and alternative therapy and other allied health fields in our class - this program was created to capture all of those disciplines as a Masters of Science degree with expertise in the specialized field of Hospice and Palliative Care. We learned about all the domains of H/PC care - medical, social, psychological, spiritual, ethical, and legal - because we practice patient-centered care as opposed to the model of care used in the US and most parts of the world which is disease-centered or fee-for-service physician-centered care.

So while H/PC is a specialty in most medical professions because we treat a specific patient population who are very sick or dying, we are actually the most unspecialized when it comes to the disease state model of care because our patients can have any number of diseases. The first that springs to mind is probably cancer for most people and that is still the majority diagnosis for hospice referrals although more and more are now for other terminal diseases. But unlike hospice where the focus is on a patient who is dying of a disease, Palliative care can happen at any time, for any number of disease states, from COPD to Chronic Kidney Disease to Heart Failure where the patient may still be pursuing curative treatment. We palliate symptoms, take care of the psychological, spiritual, and social aspects of dealing with serious illness and help the family cope with the stresses of serious illness. Palliative care can even help after accidents that leave a patient with a long recovery period and multiple challenges in care.

Palliative care is a relatively new field, only about 20 years old. We're still finding ways to work together and we're still finagling with payment models, especially in the states where we need to show a profit to be implemented. But truly, if you've seen good hospice or good palliative care at work, that is what healthcare should be.

So, that was the long answer. And probably not quite what you asked for. But leave it to me to find a specialty that doesn't fit in a box... Cool

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 18, 8:13pm

Post #31 of 48 (586 views)
Shortcut
Omigosh! Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

*pops cork on bottle of champagne* What a long, strange, and sometimes frustrating road you've been on, to get to this moment! Cool

I'll never forget how good Hospice (a non-profit one) was for my Dad in his last weeks. With an aging population, and better treatment of diseases like cancer, you'd think the kind of care you've trained for would be in huge demand. Is it just that the medical/insurance community doesn't yet know what to do with it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Aug 18, 8:14pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 18, 8:30pm

Post #32 of 48 (586 views)
Shortcut
Oh, crud. [In reply to] Can't Post

*gets out largest glass, fills with Long Island Iced Tea* I'd love to say something stronger, but that's where I'll leave it. I am so, so sorry for you losing your stuff - and yes, it is just "stuff", as a friend of mine has been telling everyone, his house burned down last month - but I am hoping you had a backup somewhere (that's the computer techie in me) and could remotely lock the laptop. I hope the passport re-issue is going smoothly, they probably deal with that a lot!

Your poor girlfriend, though - she's gone through too much with her cars, please give her a hug from me!

I wonder how your boss would react to a hug, when she starts getting on your case, and it's obvious she's putting her stress on others...but that Uber driver is definitely hug-worthy. Smile

Hoping there's more normalcy and far less unpleasantness in your coming week!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 18, 9:12pm

Post #33 of 48 (580 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

A magnificent achievement. Very well done indeed.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 18, 9:15pm

Post #34 of 48 (580 views)
Shortcut
I'm so sorry, cats. [In reply to] Can't Post

What an awful thing to happen. Yes, it could have been worse, but that's cold comfort in the moment.

I'm very glad you're both safe, and that you're finding good in the world.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 18, 9:20pm

Post #35 of 48 (580 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it's been a wild ride complicated by a chronic health issue becoming acute. There were days I wasn't sure which way was up or which pharmacy I was supposed to be driving to. I started back to work 30 hours a week the same day I started school. Geez Louise, what was I thinking!

Healthcare in the US isn't really about care though. it's about controlling costs so companies can make money. Most non-profits are barely getting by because they get reimbursed the same rate as the big corporations who are making money off people who are seriously ill or dying but have lower costs because they are larger. The deeper I got into my coursework, the more I realized how broken our system is. The demand is there but since it doesn't pay, since quality of life is so hard to measure, it's on the back burner. We're slowly getting the word out and folks are starting to ask for the services. It will all depend on how healthcare is funded by the government and how much power is given to insurance companies and PBMs. If we could just provide care...

But my classmates... talk about an inspiration! I think I was one of the only people not actively working in the field. They are amazing, dedicated, truly caring people. And smart? Geez, yeah. I was working 15 - 20 hours a week to keep up with them. They work under the most difficult circumstances and keep coming for more. They are my inspiration!

I'm still processing the whole thing. I really can't fathom not being a student anymore!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 19, 1:11am

Post #36 of 48 (567 views)
Shortcut
Glad it wasn't worse. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the things that you think about later that can really bug you, like: If only we'd placed the backpacks in the trunk. Unfortunately, it never seems like it will happen to you until it's too late.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

cats16
Valinor

Aug 19, 6:24am

Post #37 of 48 (538 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had a bit of that paranoia where I'm using the deadbolt lock to my apartment when I get home now, on top of the regular doorknob one. Just that funny feeling you've got to satisfy.

It felt like he did sense he did some good. He stuck out his first and gave me a "pound it" before I got out of the car. No words, it was all there.

For sure! We drove the car today, which was a good step towards normal. *hugs back* Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Aug 19, 6:31am

Post #38 of 48 (536 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, CG [In reply to] Can't Post

You said you grew up in a rural area too, right? We never had an incident like yours, but I can imagine the unsettling feeling one would have after something like that occurring. There's some solace for me now since I live in a very dense part of the city.

That sounds about right to me. Thanks again.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Aug 19, 6:38am

Post #39 of 48 (538 views)
Shortcut
*gulps* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! Gosh, I can't imagine what your friend is going through. Thankfully my company is cloud-based, so the laptop didn't have anything prized. I'm sure the Orcs sold it for parts after seeing I had a password.

Will do! She's doing better and has bounced back quite well.

It's funny, like many bosses in this industry, I think she's very, very unaware of how she's coming off when she acts like that. Which doesn't excuse it in the least bit, but it's interesting how she was completely pleasant again a couple of hours later, as if it had been a normal day. I know there's a much more unhealthy/abusive version of that dynamic, but I think she was just having an unusually bad day herself.

Thank you, same here! Smile

cats16
Valinor

Aug 19, 6:40am

Post #40 of 48 (534 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Kimi [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate it. Smile

cats16
Valinor

Aug 19, 6:43am

Post #41 of 48 (536 views)
Shortcut
For sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm the type who is extra cautious about this stuff, so of course it happens the one time I don't bring my bag along with me.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 19, 2:11pm

Post #42 of 48 (505 views)
Shortcut
Long answers are welcome--thanks for taking the time to write it. Very informative. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Aug 19, 2:54pm

Post #43 of 48 (505 views)
Shortcut
who knows? [In reply to] Can't Post

the degree gives you authority, and there may be ways you can use that authority to carve out your own niche in the field. Best of luck!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Annael
Immortal

Aug 19, 3:04pm

Post #44 of 48 (503 views)
Shortcut
ah yes [In reply to] Can't Post

they become more specialized as they go up the degree ladder

The attached graphic demonstrates this.

What I've come to realize (speaking seriously now) is that at each level you move into a different kind of "knowing." Most master's degree programs (and a few specialized undergrad, like engineering) teach you methodology, so you are equipped to work in a particular field. At the PhD level you are really learning critical thinking - the kind of thinking that allows you to look objectively and critically even at the methodology (as well as your own and other's assumptions) and perhaps transcend it. What you actually study is less important than proving that you can now look at ANY issue with that mindset. The dissertation proves that you can and so can be set loose on the field as an authority of sorts.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

(This post was edited by Annael on Aug 19, 3:09pm)

Annael
Immortal

Aug 19, 3:08pm

Post #45 of 48 (501 views)
Shortcut
dang, attachment did not attach. [In reply to] Can't Post

I may have a doctorate but I cannot for the life of me embed a picture or attach a file. Yes I chose a file, yes, I clicked on "inline" and "upload attachment. It was there in the preview.

Anyway, it's here:
https://twitter.com/...s/871759246152654848

and here if that other link doesn't work http://bulletin.imstat.org/...d-higher-and-deeper/

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Immortal

Aug 19, 3:20pm

Post #46 of 48 (496 views)
Shortcut
first [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry about your experience. I've come back from a weekend backpack to find the windows smashed out in my car. They didn't get anything - we know better than to leave anything in an unattended car at a trailhead - but still, it's a violation. And a hassle!

As for your boss, I have to wonder. I had a boss who would get all wigged out at times and other times be sweet as anything. We eventually figured out that he got wigged out when he was being leaned on from above and saddled with more work than he could handle; he reacted by micro-managing us and getting short-tempered. Eventually some of us pointed this out to him and he acknowledged it and from then on, when he started getting short & demanding, someone would say sympathetically "they loading you up again?" and he'd say "you're right, sorry."

Eventually he realized it wasn't the job for him and quit. We're still friends.

-- Gaston Bachelard

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 19, 3:53pm

Post #47 of 48 (492 views)
Shortcut
Great clarification. Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What you actually study is less important than proving that you can now look at ANY issue with that mindset. The dissertation proves that you can and so can be set loose on the field as an authority of sorts.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Sep 6, 8:38pm

Post #48 of 48 (356 views)
Shortcut
Praise her with great praise! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad that you have successfully reached the end of this particular journey.
ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.