Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets keys, unlocks door* It's Friday - let's Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 16, 3:57pm

Post #1 of 48 (682 views)
Shortcut
*gets keys, unlocks door* It's Friday - let's Fiesta! Can't Post

Greetings, all and sundry, to a sunny Fiesta Friday! At least, I hope it's sunny where you are. Our esteemed barmistress, Altaira, is off on a well-deserved vacation!

I've got the blenders ready and waiting, what kind of smoothie would you like? Or, hot cocoa for those where it's blustery right now? And help yourselves to an assortment of fruits and mini-quiches.

So what have you been up to this week? And do you have any plans for the weekend?

*puts quarters on jukebox* How about some happy tunes, today! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 16, 4:32pm

Post #2 of 48 (626 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! Fiesta! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi dernwyn! Thanks for grabbing the keys and blender :D I'm so glad Altaira is having some time off having fun!

It's very sunny and very mild here in Michigan. Absolutely beautiful out... so I must get mineself out there and do something... anything! I have 10 yards of topsoil being delivered next Friday to fix that part of my yard that likes to flood into the basement in the Spring. I figure I'd put in some drainage and re-grade the ground AWAY from the house ;)

Got the g'son moved to Iowa University. That is SUCH a great area and town. You imagine Iowa as being flat farmland throughout... but the city is quite hilly, green, and peppered with fascinating old homes and buildings. I really enjoy it :D

I hope everyone has a great weekend! AND I hope you have some fun planned for yourself, dernwyn :) *grabs pink lemonade* I can't believe we're halfway through August already!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 16, 5:02pm

Post #3 of 48 (624 views)
Shortcut
*plunks straw in lemonade* [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a hilly place in Iowa? The Midwest never cease to amaze! I hope he's settling in well and locating all the pizza places. Laugh

Sounds like you're going to be busy next weekend! Hauling dirt around is not lightweight work. I hope the weather stays this nice for you to do your work in.

Me, well, uh, I've been busy all week pulling things out of my kitchen, because this coming week the remodelers are supposed to come and get rid of all the old cupboards and stuff and put in new...it'll probably take weeks, so we've been gearing up for a makeshift kitchen in the dining room. No stovetop, so I've learned how to make my scrambled eggs in the microwave! Laugh

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Aug 16, 6:44pm

Post #4 of 48 (614 views)
Shortcut
Sunny? Hah... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been unremittingly wet here today, but the weather front's moving away now and as the evening goes on we're seeing some watery sunshine. Definitely hot chocolate weather, though! Tomorrow there's a 'Viking festival' in a local park so I'll go along to that - always happy to enjoy a (well-behaved) Viking vibe! I was going to say 'Cheers' but perhaps I should be saying 'Skol'? can anyone tell me if that's right?
Good luck with the kitchen revamp, by the way; I've been making my scrambled eggs in the microwave for years. Timing's critical, but washing up is reduced!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 16, 7:12pm

Post #5 of 48 (612 views)
Shortcut
*gets large mug* [In reply to] Can't Post

Would you like mini-marshmallows to float on top? Will you be taking the grandkids to the Viking festival? It sounds like an event with lots of dress-up and food and frolic!

Thank you for the good wishes! I think I've successfully figured out how to cook a bit of onion and green pepper in butter first (using a large wide mug), then plop in the eggs, salt, pepper, and herbes de Provence, and give'em a good beating before setting the seconds to cook. This morning's trial came out eggs-cellent! Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 16, 7:12pm

Post #6 of 48 (608 views)
Shortcut
*puts out "Self-Serve" sign* I must head off, but the bar's still open! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Aug 16, 8:11pm

Post #7 of 48 (607 views)
Shortcut
Mini marshmallows? Always...! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the family has other plans tomorrow; I have mentioned it to them though, just in case. They're very much into knights and castles at the moment, but to be honest just about anybody from any historical period brandishing a sword or axe is enjoyed - or in the younger's case a bow and arrow! He's very into archery and his name is Robin - he'd better be prepared to face some teasing, I think...

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 16, 9:56pm

Post #8 of 48 (598 views)
Shortcut
*helps self to a breakfast margarita* [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I've caught up with myself after flying back from Perth, Australia. I was there for a week to stay with one of my sisters, and to catch the All Blacks/Wallabies rugby match (which we won't discuss in detail, except to say that the ABs had better win tonight's second match or we'll lose the Bledisloe Cup for the first time in 16 years).

Winter in Perth is *very* different from winter in New Zealand - the faint tan-mark of my watch strap is testament to that. And while it was great to spend quality time with family, I have to admit that the highlight of the trip was that I got to hold a snake. Smile We don't have them in NZ and I've often wondered what they feel like - and now I know! The snake I held was a green python and, even though I know snakes are cold-blooded, I was still surprised that this living animal was so cold to touch. (I also got to pat a wombat and a bob-tail goana [it has a surprisingly hard hide], and a kangaroo hopped over to say hi by nibbling my hand.) Heart

Anyway, we're due for another cold front with snow from the south to hit tomorrow. I missed the tornadoes and large hail while I was away but I guess I can't avoid 'proper winter' entirely.

Have a lovely weekend, everyone!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 16, 11:29pm

Post #9 of 48 (590 views)
Shortcut
No snakes in NZ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know that! What did you think of the snake's skin - it seems smooth to me, not slimy at all. Was the animal interaction at a particular zoo?

I looked at the map to see how much further north than you Perth is - I tend to forget that Australia is much closer to the Equator than NZ!

You missed the tornadoes, but hopefully the tornadoes missed you (your home)!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 16, 11:31pm

Post #10 of 48 (589 views)
Shortcut
Is it really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh dear, Robin with bow and arrow - how portentous! Laugh

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 17, 12:37am

Post #11 of 48 (583 views)
Shortcut
Yep, no damage around my place... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You missed the tornadoes, but hopefully the tornadoes missed you (your home)!

...although one woman got thrown against her house and broke a collarbone in three places. *ouch*

The animal encounter was at Caversham Wildlife Park. They did it superbly: in a large barn there were several stations where you could look at, pat or hold different animals, with a zookeeper right there to manage their animal's welfare. A great way to get close to the animals without them getting stressed.

https://www.cavershamwildlife.com.au/

And yes, no snakes in NZ! The python's skin was really smooth and dry - no slime involved. They're beautiful creatures. Smile

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 17, 12:37am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 17, 3:00am

Post #12 of 48 (570 views)
Shortcut
*Ouch* indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

That poor woman! One has no control when the winds are that strong.

That's a very family-friendly farm! I like their setup, perfect for kids of all ages. Smile

So like Ireland, NZ is an island with no snakes. Are there any legends about why that is?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 17, 10:41am

Post #13 of 48 (532 views)
Shortcut
Now that you mention It, no there aren't. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know stories about Maui fishing up the North Island and why the kiwi can't fly, but nothing about snakes. I guess because they've never been here so there's no need to explain their absence.

Ataahua's stories

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 17, 12:00pm

Post #14 of 48 (526 views)
Shortcut
I think the hobbits in NZ ate all the snakes--the real reason. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is cool that you touched one. I've always wanted to. I saw lots of wild snakes growing up in the country, and I'll never forget my dog facing off with one--they were just curious about each other and neither got aggressive, and I know how strange that sounds.

I do have a pretty strong fear of them, but I've known people who had them as pets who say they have personality, and the right snake will let you pet it like a dog. So, someday I hope to pet a snake and tamp down on that fear I have.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17, 12:27pm

Post #15 of 48 (524 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

The remodeling is starting!? Finally!? What a horrible disruption! But it's going to be so great when done. If you're not moving around any plumbing, it'll hopefully go a lot faster. You're gonna miss that stovetop, but the grill will get a workout ;) Then maybe a hotplate? GOOD LUCK!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 17, 10:09pm

Post #16 of 48 (510 views)
Shortcut
As much as I've wanted to touch one, [In reply to] Can't Post

when I went through the reptile house beforehand and saw all these snakes snoozing under heat lamps, I did feel a momentary spark of fight-or-flight. It's probably a human reaction that increases our chance of survival.

But then you see the zoo keeper holding the snake happily and your rational mind gives you a nudge. Smile

Ataahua's stories

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 18, 1:15am

Post #17 of 48 (509 views)
Shortcut
I did it! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is me (center front row with glasses and the braided hair) with my brand-spanking -new Masters hood! We graduated yesterday in a special ceremony because our last class ended after the Spring convocation.

I'm done. Geez...

I wanted to thank the folks here that cheered me on starting with my application and throughout. I've been wandering again, but I always seem to come home to TORn.

Thank you all, truly.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Aug 18, 1:16am)
Attachments: UMD Class of 2019 Masters class Hospice and Palliative Care.jpg (31.7 KB)

Annael
Immortal

Aug 18, 1:57am

Post #18 of 48 (498 views)
Shortcut
congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

The hood is a special thing, isn't it?

Enjoy the moment!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

cats16
Valinor

Aug 18, 3:41am

Post #19 of 48 (490 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations!! [In reply to] Can't Post

What an accomplishment! That is so awesome. SmileSmile I definitely remember you first bringing this up (was it 3 or so years ago?).

*raises glass* Cheers, DI! Now enjoy some R&R. Cool

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Aug 18, 4:18am

Post #20 of 48 (491 views)
Shortcut
An interesting week [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiya, dernwyn. A tall, tall glass of something strong (I don't drink IRL but let's play pretend virtually, just this once).

The short of it is that we were robbed earlier in the week.

The longer version (though I'm leaving out all of the details for obvious reasons) is that we were out to dinner, then came back to find both passenger windows completely blown out of my girlfriend's car. Both of our backpacks were gone. Thankfully she had nothing of financial value inside, but among other things, I had my laptop, a tablet and passport in mine. Obviously we were in deep shock.

She of course was justifiably hysterical, as she just got this car due to an incident weeks ago while parked overnight that left her previous car totaled. I got her into the backseat and drove her home (later, in better spirits, I compared this moment tonally to the scene in Reservoir Dogs where Tim Roth's character is bleeding out in the backseat, if you've seen it). Fun stuff.

The next day was spent on the phone with too many places, between getting the passport canceled and putting other preventive measures in place just out of an abundance of caution. A police report was filed. She got the car windows fixed today. We're slowly getting back to normal.

Could have been much, much worse, of course. But it's been a rocky week dealing with it all and living with that bad feeling in your gut knowing that some Orc has your stuff. They even got the book I had been reading! But it's just stuff. And if anything else, this whole saga has let me affirm that I really don't care about stuff, if it means we're okay.

So, life moves on!

Work was kicking my butt the rest of the week (not in a retaliatory way, mind), though my boss gradually did become quite unreasonable and difficult to be around, especially given everything else. I don't think it was consciously done, but I had several moments later in the week where I just wanted to throw my hands up and start sobbing (and I'm not really a sobber). So another lesson learned this week, regarding how I *won't* treat people like that when I'm in a position of authority.

I was bummed out a bit this morning, looking ahead to a weekend of more work and little fun, when a nice older man, who was my Uber driver, got me into conversation. We spoke of filmmakers we like and respect, not just for their work but for the zen-like presence they've developed too. We even spoke of PJ and both agreed that he had the right kind of aura that brought out the best in people working with him. The conversation then related this to the robbery/work incidents, and it ended with him wishing me all the best and noting that as he gets older, his appreciation for every human being's complexity, secrets and hardships only increases. I wouldn't put it past this guy to be into Tolkien and on TORn, but regardless, this is me publicly thanking him for helping me out in that moment.

This is turning into a longer post than I'm used to! Anyway, I hope everyone else had a slightly less dramatic week. I know there's a lot worse going on in the world than what we dealt with, so I feel fortunate nonetheless.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Cats

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Aug 18, 4:28am)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 18, 7:16am

Post #21 of 48 (482 views)
Shortcut
It really is! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have 2 Bachelor degrees that I am very proud of, but now that my profession has moved on to a terminal PharmD degree, I really wanted to move on too. I could never make a PharmD work. It's been decades in the making, but I finally found a degree program that fit with my other life obligations and captured my heart and mind. Hospice and Palliative Care has been a life goal for over 20 years!

And the benefit of getting a degree later in life? I was really conscious of the moment. I can remember that 90 seconds because I was consciously marking the moment I walked up and they put the hood over my head.

And who knows? If my professor decides to create a PhD program, a longer hood may be in my future.

_

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 18, 7:25am

Post #22 of 48 (481 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes! I celebrated with my family yesterday - 4 out of 5 kids were able to get to lunch - and today after work I celebrated by binge-watching Endeavor season 6. Cool

Now I need to work on carving a career out of a degree that could very well become the most expensive hobby I've ever had. There is no *official* place for a pharmacist in Hospice and Palliative care. We do not have provider status so we can't bill. In the world of healthcare for profit, we are second class citizens.

But I've learned so much. And I'm using what I've learned in my current position to the point where people are asking for me at the counter and on the phone. If I make a difference in patient's lives then the last 2 years have been worth it.

_

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 18, 2:32pm

Post #23 of 48 (443 views)
Shortcut
I'd say you got it right :D [In reply to] Can't Post

"A toast, Skol (written "skŚl" in Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish and "skŠl" in Faroese and Icelandic or "skaal" in transliteration of any of those languages) is the Danish/Norwegian/Swedish word for "cheers," or "good health," a salute or a toast, as to an admired person or group."

I hope you had a great time and that the weather cooperated :D The nice thing about a Viking outing... I imagine there are a lot of cloaks, headgear, and boots to keep you warm and dry ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 18, 2:42pm

Post #24 of 48 (440 views)
Shortcut
What a great break :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Having the change and a hint of a tan this time of year is always fun :D I hope the weekend is everything you hope for!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 18, 2:47pm

Post #25 of 48 (442 views)
Shortcut
*wild applause* WOOHOO!!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You really are an inspiration! Your pic isn't there ;) but I can just imagine the HUGE smile on your face! WOW!!! *massive hug* WONDERFUL!!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.