Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond!! August 15

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 16, 4:05am

Post #1 of 8 (933 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond!! August 15 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

I've been lost in the wild for a bit, but I've finally found my trail again. I've completed my LotR charts, so I've joined up with Bilbo, Gandalf and some Dwarves on a worthy Quest! We've already had a wonderful dinner with singing, instruments, and checking out a very old map... and we've already just passed through Bree. This is my 3rd Hobbit journey since I began these walks in 2003.

In RL, I just racked up some mileage packing and moving my g'son to university. Of course, his first apartment (not dorm, thag you) had to be on the 3rd floor accessed by fire escape! oooooof!

So how are you coming along on your journey? I hope you're enjoying the weather wherever you may be trekking. :) *waves fondly* See you on the Road!

~~~~~ ** ~~~~~~

LotR Walk Began 3/18/03 Ended 12/25/07 4yrs 8mos 7days

Hobbit Walk Began 12/25/07 Ended (Lonely Mt.) 6/29/08 6mos 4days (Bag End to Lonely Mt)
Did not do miles from Mt to Bag End no charts

LotR Walk Began 7/3/08 -- Ended 10/22/11 3yrs 2mos 19days

Hobbit Walk Began 10/22/11 Ended 12/29/14 3yrs 2mos 7days (Bag End round trip )
Added trip to Beorn's, return to Rivendell, home to Bag End

LotR Walk Began 1/1/2015 Ended 7/25/19 4yr 6mos 25days

Begin Hobbit Walk #3 7/25/19

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 16, 4:08am)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 18, 12:17am

Post #2 of 8 (878 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, I want to do this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to walk more and I've got some time now!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 18, 2:17pm

Post #3 of 8 (818 views)
Shortcut
Sweeeeeet! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

WELCOME! It's lots of fun accumulating mileage the same way the Fellowship and the Company did. It gives you a great appreciation of how much they dealt with on their Quests.

Remember, you can gather mileage by more than walking/running. Here's a link to all the different ways you can build your numbers. That's the beauty of these walks... you do it your way on your own time. :D See you on the Road!

Resources to help you on your way :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 18, 2:58pm

Post #4 of 8 (817 views)
Shortcut
I can't wait to start! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a pedometer on my phone. My phone is in my pocket throughout the day at work too so I can track the 1/2-3/4 mile I walk on a busy day at work.

I noticed that during our trip to Canada, with me out rambling on the rocks all day, I really did feel better. (Of course I was also on Georgian Bay and there is no more beautiful place on Earth!) After 2 years of working and sitting studying, I'm ready to get moving again.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 22, 12:33pm

Post #5 of 8 (775 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! August 22 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers!

I hope you've had a satisfying week and took some time to just relax, get bored (unbusy ;), and had some fun! What have you been up to this past week? Remember, you can gather mileage in any way that involves movement of some kind! Just let me know if you'd like some help converting your action to miles AND find where you are on the Fellowship / Hobbit charts... just to add a layer of fun :D

The end of the official summer months is looming on the horizon in my part of the world... which is sad. I love fall, but the cold coming just behind is NOT something I'm looking forward to. *sigh* So the pressure is on to do some outdoors stuff as much as possible!

I worked up a sweat tearing out an old dying barberry bush on the corner of my front porch. I knew it was on its way out as the leaves kept dying off leaving behind the NASTY thorns that I'm still pulling out of my hands like nuclear slivers! It had grown (in 15 years) to at least 6 feet tall and 6 feet wide... becoming quite lethal if I walked too close. It took a chainsaw, shovel, hatchet and finally chaining it to hobbity's (my suv) towbar as I yanked it out of the ground. *sigh* I'll miss its brilliant colour.

I replaced it with 2 azalea plants that promise to grow to about 5 feet tall and 3 feet wide. So we'll see how it all turns out and if the plants survive their first winter.

I'm still on the Road with Gandalf, Bilbo and a bunch of Dwarves to a very lonely mountain ;) We can see the Midgewater Marshes off in the distance, but I'm hoping we can just go around them. Hopefully hoping.
See you on the Road! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 29, 5:32pm

Post #6 of 8 (650 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! August 29 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

Here we are travelling through the last days of August. I can't believe how fast this season has passed! HOWEVER, I muchly prefer to walk and play outside in the cooler fall temps here in my neck of the woods in Michigan... so it's okay with me :)

I'm trying to figure out what was more of a physical challenge. Digging my cistern that fit 2 50-gallon barrels or cleaning the garage! I'm afraid I'd rather be standing in a hole right now, but getting this HUGE project of clearing/organizing my pole-barn garage will be a huge mileage-accumulation feat!

Bilbo, the dwarves Gandalf and I are still in the neighbourhood of the Midgewater Marshes as we travel to Rivendell on our way to the Lonely Mountain. The weather is good, so I don't mind at all :D

How are you coming along on your Quest? Have you chosen a chart to follow or are you a wandering Ranger out on your own journey? DO TELL!!

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 6, 2:11am

Post #7 of 8 (431 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! September 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

We've made it to September... a month of special magnificence! Bilbo and Frodo will be celebrating their birthdays on the 22nd; but it's also a milestone as the Fellowship of the Ring begins to form and their historic Quest begins... little did they know ;)

I've been racking up the miles in my garage. Omg... what a mess! I've made it into the first of 4 or 5 burial sites. No, not bodies... I hope! But tons and tons of mathomy clutter and storage. It has slowed my timeline but not my speed. You know how some chores mean you have to tear everything apart and then rebuild it? That's what is going on here. It's satisfying... but absolutely nasty!

So how are you coming along on your Quest? Are you on your own or part of a group/pair/company? DO TELL!

The Company and I have finally got the Midgewater Marshes behind us, though I'd love to see if the neeker breekers are as partial to Dwarf as they are Hobbit ;)

Have a great week... and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Fri, 3:33am

Post #8 of 8 (107 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! September 12 [In reply to] Can't Post

How are you coming along on your Quest? Whether you're facing the Fall or Spring weather.... whichever... it's gotta be some nice mild times to be outside. Bilbo, Gandalf and the Dwarves are having some good walking as they approach Weathertop. Still a while to go, but it's always a meaningful target on the long trip.

Just remember as you approach your mountain... have fun along the way :D

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.