Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Wheel of Time casting

Eruonen
Valinor

Aug 14, 8:42pm

Post #1 of 8 (296 views)
Shortcut
Wheel of Time casting Can't Post

https://variety.com/...utherford-1203302153

Not great matches for the book characters - it appears they want the cast to appeal to a broader demographic. They may end up being fine actors for the part but some just don't look like anything I imagined.

Comments on the WOT Facebook page range from love it to hate it - as expected.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Aug 14, 8:43pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Aug 15, 5:30pm

Post #2 of 8 (244 views)
Shortcut
They look pretty good to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not hugely invested in the show yet (I've given up trying to be invested in the books), but the casting of Rosamund Pike intrigued me, and this cast looks pretty cool. I like the diversity, I like what little I've seen of their performances and personalities in clips, interviews, etc. I mean, they seem a little...teen-oriented? I just hope it doesn't become another Chronicles of Shannara situation.

"It is my duty to fight" - Mulan

Eruonen
Valinor

Aug 15, 5:47pm

Post #3 of 8 (239 views)
Shortcut
I never watched the Shannara show....the trailers look ok....but [In reply to] Can't Post

why did it fail?

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Aug 15, 6:04pm

Post #4 of 8 (237 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if it failed, really, it's just [In reply to] Can't Post

that the show kind of tried to turn the source material into a very young-adult themed story (it even aired on MTV). One of the actresses they've just cast for WoT is from Shannara, too, so that was what really got me wondering if that's the route they're going for. I can't imagine it is, though: that would be really weird to do that.

Annael
Immortal

Aug 16, 2:45pm

Post #5 of 8 (208 views)
Shortcut
the 'younger, edgier' route? [In reply to] Can't Post

so beloved of the suits . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HeNZBItzps

I'm watching "Another Life" which features Katee Sackhoff as the captain of a ship in which the entire rest of the crew is under 27, for [reasons I didn't follow] and oh lord, the adolescent whinging . . .

which reminds me, we haven't had a "What Are You Watching?" thread in a while . . .

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

(This post was edited by Annael on Aug 16, 2:49pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 16, 2:54pm

Post #6 of 8 (203 views)
Shortcut
Well, the "What are you watching?" is still on the front page. Feel free to add to it. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, and curious to know what you think of "Another Life." I've seen about 1/3 of it. The teen whining made me hit Pause on that one.

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Aug 16, 2:56pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Aug 17, 2:41pm

Post #7 of 8 (177 views)
Shortcut
I wanted to start "Another Life" [In reply to] Can't Post

But I couldn't get through the first episode! It's just not my type of thing.

Annael
Immortal

Aug 17, 11:00pm

Post #8 of 8 (168 views)
Shortcut
I'm losing interest [In reply to] Can't Post

Recycled episode plots from other series so far, and they seriously need a psychology consultant to make the characters behave in ways that make sense. And how anyone could believe that younger people would adapt better to being under stress . . . the entire Outward Bound program was started because they saw that when boats sank, it was the older, experienced crew that was resilient and made it through.

(I had to laugh last time I visited my niece; she and her housemate, both in their early 30s, went on and on about how they didn't want a 20-something roommate because they're so unreliable. I just sat there thinking "yeah baby, you are on MY side of the fence now!")

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

(This post was edited by Annael on Aug 17, 11:03pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.