The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Tolkien 2019 in Burlington, UK; 7-11 August 2919

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 7 2019, 6:29pm

Post #1 of 6 (11603 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien 2019 in Burlington, UK; 7-11 August 2919 Can't Post

I'm not sure how this hasn't been posted about before now, but the Tolkien 2019 event is taking place even as I write this. Here's the Tolkien 2019 site: https://r.search.yahoo.com/...fPBIAaIXulnfrfbUFY4-

TOLKIEN 2019

BIRMINGHAM

7–11 AUGUST 2019 / MACDONALD BURLINGTON HOTEL
We invite you to join us for Tolkien 2019 - the largest celebration of Tolkien ever held by the Society.

Celebrating 50 years of The Tolkien Society, it will bring together hundreds of fans, scholars and artists from all over the world.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 7 2019, 6:30pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 7 2019, 11:34pm

Post #2 of 6 (11566 views)
Shortcut
Mythcon 50 in San Diego, US: August 2-5, 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post

I know a handful of people who attended the Mythopoeic Society's 50th conference last week and are now attending the Tolkien's Society's 50th anniversary event.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 8 2019, 3:08am

Post #3 of 6 (11570 views)
Shortcut
Something TORN-related I learned at Mythcon. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mythopoeic Society has put together a collection of Tolkien and Inklings essays that will honor David Oberhelman, who passed away in January 2018. He was a longtime steward of that organization (he coordinated their annual awards) and once a prolific contributor here under the names "drogo drogo" until 2007 and then just "drogo" on the new forums. I gather that they're in the process of editing the submissions now and will publish late this year or early next year.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 10 2019, 4:14am

Post #4 of 6 (11322 views)
Shortcut
That is SO cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

How amazing of them to do that. Please do keep us posted. It would be such a fitting tribute to link to that here. Thanks for letting us know about this NEB. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 10 2019, 1:15pm

Post #5 of 6 (11279 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a wonderful thing for them to do. Yes, please keep us up-to-date on this, if you can!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

squire
Half-elven

Aug 11 2019, 10:58pm

Post #6 of 6 (11151 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that info [In reply to] Can't Post

I look forward to seeing the tribute volume.

Thanks, too, Osaku for the note about "Tolkien 2019" in Birmingham UK this week. I've been following it rather remotely on the TS Facebook site while on vacation. I do agree with Balbo (in another thread) that this site seems more unaware than usual of the Tolkien Society's, and the Mythopoeic Society's, events in the Tolkien biz.

But then I've been noticing that TORn's new Facebook site seems to get a great deal more traffic than our good old message boards lately have been getting. I wonder if the world of social media has quite buried the old-fashioned message board format?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.