Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien 2019

balbo biggins
Rohan

Aug 7, 5:00pm

Post #1 of 11 (1248 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien 2019 Can't Post

Why the lack of any info on this momentous and huge celebration of tolkien happening in Birmingham, England.

Literally the biggest event the tolkien society has ever had with many many scholars and artists given talks over 5 days and it starts today and tickets were still available!

Surely the onering should have sent someone, and im sure the community would want them to go and report back on all the different voices that may be of interest, and im sure donations would be happily given to make this happen

Lately the one ring has been more interested in retweeting celebrities, rumours and misinformation rather than being interested in the actual works of the great man.

The event isn't even in the from page! Some of the art exhibitions are open to the public aswell.

Come in onering, get back to exploring the world of Tolkien and its adaptikns rather than Being caught up on the Hollywood nonsense and being obsessed with Peter Jackson films and its actors.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 7, 6:26pm

Post #2 of 11 (1189 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien 2019 is Now! [In reply to] Can't Post

I recall this being mentioned in the most recent TORn Tuesdays webcast. Here's the Tolkien 2019 site: https://r.search.yahoo.com/...fPBIAaIXulnfrfbUFY4-

TOLKIEN 2019

BIRMINGHAM

711 AUGUST 2019 / MACDONALD BURLINGTON HOTEL
We invite you to join us for Tolkien 2019 - the largest celebration of Tolkien ever held by the Society.

Celebrating 50 years of The Tolkien Society, it will bring together hundreds of fans, scholars and artists from all over the world.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Aug 7, 6:53pm

Post #3 of 11 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

A brief mention At the very end of the show and only after I commented a number of times that it was happening.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 7, 11:32pm

Post #4 of 11 (1148 views)
Shortcut
I see one longtime TORN participant listed among the presenters. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although she hasn't posted here much lately: only five times in the past six months.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Aug 8, 5:13pm

Post #5 of 11 (1076 views)
Shortcut
panel [In reply to] Can't Post

They have just had Alan lee and a discussion of LOTRonPrime at tolkien2019!!!

This should be of interest to everyone here! I'm dissapointed in this community.

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 8, 8:49pm

Post #6 of 11 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Where's your report? [In reply to] Can't Post

Instead of complaining about what others aren't doing, why don't you share what you know?

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Hasuwandil
Rivendell

Aug 9, 8:30pm

Post #7 of 11 (940 views)
Shortcut
Video of panel [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, we've been discussing LOTR on Prime here for quite a while. I'm not sure I see any point in speculating on what other people are speculating about the series. However, we no longer have to speculate:

The Lord of the Rings on Prime Panel (YouTube video)

I won't comment now, as I'm at work and haven't had time to watch it yet.

Hl Aurwandil, angil berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

Hasuwandil
Rivendell

Aug 12, 5:51pm

Post #8 of 11 (868 views)
Shortcut
Panel report [In reply to] Can't Post

I found the panel somewhat interesting, but felt it mostly covered ground that has already been covered here and in other forums. One of the panelists did talk about Tolkien's works going into the public domain, but I believe (I haven't checked) that's far enough off that it doesn't really affect Amazon's efforts. (Otherwise, why would they have paid as much as they did?) The other thing I found interesting, that I hadn't seen covered here, is that a couple of the panelists felt Amazon had done a good job of doing an adaptation, Good Omens, I believe it was. Of course, they had a complete novel to work with, and only needed to film six episodes.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Aug 14, 3:58pm

Post #9 of 11 (843 views)
Shortcut
Still nothing [In reply to] Can't Post

I am arnt I? I'm directing people to tolkien 2019 through my topic post.

Im not claiming to be a writer, so I come to places like this and the tolkike society to read up on tolkien stuff, it just seems completely strange to me how an event celebrating 50 years of the tolkien society bringing together the worlds best tolkiens minds together was of interest to a tolkien fansite

The tornTuesday show last week said they would be talking about this, this week, but they didn't even mention it, there has been more tweets about Orlando bloom this week than all the different speakers, names and YouTube lectures that ar being put online.

There isn't even a mention of it on the main page still!

I guess this site has other priorities other than the actual works of tolkien, I suppose the audience is more interested in celebrities than celeborn, or rumours than rohan. Which makes me sad, and actually will do no good for the future of adaptations if this is any Indication.

Hasuwandil
Rivendell

Aug 14, 5:58pm

Post #10 of 11 (823 views)
Shortcut
Nothing plus nothing equals nothing, but nothing plus something equals something [In reply to] Can't Post

This site has many different members with many different interests. The best way to start a discussion is to bring up something specific that interests you, that may also be of interest to others. Was there a particular talk you were interested in?

Due to limitations of time and geography, most of us were unable to attend the event, and videos of talks have only been posted recently:

Tolkien 2019 Playlist

Even if people are interested in the talks, it will take them some time to view them. The TORn Twitter account did quite a bit of retweeting of event-related tweets last week, but I suppose they didn't have an administrator who was actually there to give a first-hand account. Perhaps they should have talked more about Tolkien 2019 during this week's TORn Tuesday show, but without having watched the videos, which were apparently just barely released, I'm not sure how much they could have said about it. Naturally, some of the talks would be of interest to some of us here, but it will probably take time for the information from the talks to filter out.

Even so, this is not the Tolkien Society's message board. I believe this site was founded in anticipation of Peter Jackson's movies, and although it has certainly attracted people who are knowledgeable about Tolkien, it might be understandable if more people here are interested in casting calls in New Zealand or Scotland, or what Tolkien himself actually wrote about what Sauron did in the Second Age than, say, a comparison between academic and fan writings about Tolkien in Brazil.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Aug 16, 4:11pm

Post #11 of 11 (762 views)
Shortcut
yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand the frustration, but in their defense, TORN has always been from its inception a site dedicated to discussing the PJ movies. So it doesn't really surprise me to see more focus on the latest projects and gossip regarding PJ's actors and info on new merchandise the movie fans can spend their money on. Once the amazon series starts to ramp up, I expect to see all the enthusiasm for the PJ movies to shift over there, and the cycle will continue. In short, TORn really isn't the best place for serious discussion of Tolkien's literary works, and it never was.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.