The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
The Sisters and the Sea

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 7 2019, 5:27am

Post #1 of 2 (21664 views)
Shortcut
The Sisters and the Sea Can't Post

Hi there! I'm working on a fan fic that I'm planning on submitting to the Hall of Fire webzine once it's finished. It's a slice of life type of story, no serious stakes involved. I thought I'd share the first couple parts of my first draft here. If things don't work out with Douglas then I might post the finished piece here as well.

The Sisters and the Sea
By Andrew Laubacher

It was a day in early May in the year 1280 (in the Reckoning of the Shire) and the three remarkable Took sisters were plotting. Belladonna, the oldest of the three, was to wed young Bungo Baggins in another month, and the girls wished to have one last grand adventure together before the wedding.

To that end, they had been speaking with Gandalf the last time he’d visited Tuckburrow. The Old Took, their father, was still angry with the wizard who he blamed for the disappearance of their brother Hildifons. Fonsy, encouraged by Gandalf’s tales, had gone off on some mad-cap journey to parts unknown some years ago, and had never been heard from again. It was generally assumed that the poor lad had met his end in some foreign land, though the three sisters preferred to imagine that he had forged a new life for himself, perhaps dwelling among the Elves west of the Blue Mountains, or even living as a sailor or trader in distant Gondor.

The sisters had needled Gandalf with requests for stories about his many wanderings, and he regaled them with descriptions of white cities, mailed knights, fair ladies and elven heroes. Yet, the girls’ interest kept coming around to the subject of the Sea. They asked about the tall ships of the Big Folk far to the South. What was it like to watch a storm at sea? Had Gandalf ever been captured by Corsairs (and, if so, how did he escape)? Where was the wizard’s favourite place to view the Sea?

Thinking back to those tales, Belladonna had devised her plan and shared it with the two younger siblings. Donnamira and Mirabella readily agreed: the three of them would journey to the Grey Havens where they could visit the Elves and see the Great Sea for themselves.

Arrangements were made. Belladonna left their parents with the impression that the three were going to visit with some of their cousins in Woodhall for a fortnight. To that end, they would take their favourite ponies to make the journey easier. In secret, they gathered enough food and drink to last them at least a week (they could easily resupply at Michel Delving or Greenholm at the Shire’s western boundary) as well as traveling gear and other supplies. When all was prepared, the girls kissed their ma and da goodbye and set out east on the Stock Road towards Woodhall.

Once they were out of sight of the Smials, the threesome turned their mounts north, away from the lane, and struck out over hills and fields until they reached the Great Road that stretched from the Tower Hills in the west to the distant Misty Mountains and perhaps beyond. The village of Waymeet was only a few miles west of the spot where the girls gained the Road; they passed right through the town without stopping, hooded mantles pulled over their faces so they would not be recognized. All three were well-known at the inn there and they didn’t want word of their unauthorized excursion getting back to their folks at Tuckburrow. They did take a meal when they reached the lane that turned south towards Hardbottle and Sackville, not stopping again for the rest of the day until they reached the White Downs and the inn at Michel Delving.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 7 2019, 5:28am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 13 2019, 4:07am

Post #2 of 2 (21044 views)
Shortcut
Well, I've finished my story... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and sent it off with some minor edits. Now I have to wait to see if it's acceptable to Doug Joos, editor of The Hall of Fire. If Douglas likes it, I'll post about it here.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.