Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
July 29: What movies/TV have you been watching lately?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 9, 5:20pm

Post #26 of 42 (438 views)
Shortcut
Essie Davis--who? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
First of all, Essie Davis is so charismatic and charming, she's an absolute joy to watch: I only recently realized she had a small part in Game of Thrones, and she was a delight there as well. She's an actress who's very fun, so I hope she continues to get much more work.

I really am surprised with her looks, talent, and the 3-year run of this show that she hasn't had more exposure/jobs in movies and TV. Maybe it will still happen.

cats16
Valinor

Aug 10, 4:55am

Post #27 of 42 (426 views)
Shortcut
Oh hey, you saw it! [In reply to] Can't Post

And oof, hopefully the kids were able to sit through it quietly, at least.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 10, 1:14pm

Post #28 of 42 (419 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they were quiet! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was in one of the smaller theaters at a local arts cinema, with large cushy chairs, perfect for falling asleep in if you're bored. Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Aug 10, 4:50pm

Post #29 of 42 (405 views)
Shortcut
Essie Davis played Lady Crane in season 6 [In reply to] Can't Post

The famous actress from the theater who befriended Arya. She only was in a few episodes, but she made an impression.

"It is my duty to fight" - Mulan

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 17, 6:52pm

Post #30 of 42 (367 views)
Shortcut
Jungle with Daniel Radcliffe [In reply to] Can't Post

A survival story about 3 hitchhikers and a sketchy guide in the Amazon jungle in Bolivia. I had low expectations, and I would say it was average. I recently rewatched "Deliverance" and it reminded me of that: superficial friendships can lead to frayed relations when problems arise in the wild.

It's supposed to be based on a true story, but googling articles about it and the author of the book behind the film, not all the accounts synced up, and various things don't make sense. The hero supposedly needed to be hospitalized for 3 months post-rescue, but his post-rescue photo shows a very skinny but otherwise unscratched guy who has no problem standing upright when his feet soles were supposedly worn away to mere flesh. So, having what is probably a hoax or greatly exaggerated story as the "true story" behind the movie leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I guess the movie was good enough that I went looking for the story. Daniel Radcliffe's acting was good, I'll give it that.

I was glad it was streaming on Amazon Prime so I could fast-forward through slow parts/predictable parts. It certainly could have been shorter.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 18, 1:32am

Post #31 of 42 (357 views)
Shortcut
Ghost Ship (2002) [In reply to] Can't Post

With Karl Urban among the cast.

There have been movies like this before where a sentient, murderous, derelict ship kills the people who salvage it one by one. This movie had a new subplot to go with it that I didn't see coming and found kind of interesting. It is a horror movie, so don't expect too much, and it's watchable.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 21, 4:01am

Post #32 of 42 (355 views)
Shortcut
Batman: Hush and Karl Urban as Sgt. Rock [In reply to] Can't Post

I picked up the animated movie Batman: Hush once the Blu-ray became available. I just finished re-watching it; the story holds up pretty well and differs in significant details from the comics story from which it's adapted. I would say it works better than Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Rises and might have benefited from a limited theatrical release.

Batman: Hush was accompanied by a new DC Showcase animated short: "Sgt. Rock" with Karl Urban (…omer) voicing the titular hero. A slightly spoilery description follows:

Sgt. Rock is executive produced and directed by Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series) from a script by award-winning comics writers Louise Simonson & Walter Simonson and Tim Sheridan (Reign of the Supermen). The original tale finds battle-weary Sgt. Rock thinking he has seen everything that World War II can dish out. But he is in for the surprise of his life when he is assigned to lead a company consisting of legendary monsters into battle against an unstoppable platoon of Nazi zombies. Karl Urban (Star Trek & Lord of the Rings film franchises) provides the voice of Sgt. Rock. Also voicing characters in Sgt. Rock are Keith Ferguson, William Salyers and Audrey Wasilewski.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 21, 4:06am)

squire
Half-elven

Aug 22, 12:44am

Post #33 of 42 (268 views)
Shortcut
I am amazed [In reply to] Can't Post

that the Sgt. Rock title, and by extension World War II, has receded so far into the past that it is now open to becoming just another part of the modern fantasy genre.

A generation or two ago, war comics were quite a different genre from fantasy. "An unstoppable platoon of Nazi zombies" would have been "an unstoppable platoon of fanatical Nazi S.S., or Japanese, troops". The Nazis, plain old human being Nazis, were the zombies (gah!!!!!) of their time, in the pop culture of the postwar generation (that I grew up in).

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 22, 2:18am

Post #34 of 42 (260 views)
Shortcut
Don't be so sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Creature Commandos date back to 1980 (in the comic book Weird War Tales #93). Fantastical Nazi war machines go back to actual WWII-era comics such as Blackhawk and Air Boy.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 22, 2:22am)

squire
Half-elven

Aug 22, 4:09am

Post #35 of 42 (250 views)
Shortcut
Cool references, but ... Sgt. Rock is not Blackhawk [In reply to] Can't Post

Good point that quasi-fantastic hardware was part of the post-war Nazi mythology as early as the fifties, in the case of the War Wheel you cited. But it was a nemesis of the Blackhawk team, not Sgt. Rock and his squad.

My thought had been that Sgt. Rock, like his counterpart Sgt. Fury (DC vs. Marvel) fought more or less conventional enemies in a more or less conventional rendering of WW II, right through the 60s and 70s. Thus my assertion that there was once a 'war genre' that was quite separate from any of the fantasy genres (super-hero, sci-fi, sword+sorcery) that were gaining popularity in the same years.

Blackhawk, which I remember from the time, was a cross-over between super-hero team and (more or less) war-fighting team. But their shtick was definitely on the fantasy side of the scale, with super-weapons, fortress of solitude, and politically-incorrect neo-fascist styling. Sgt. Rock, at the time, was not at all like Blackhawk on all of the those counts; the same for Sgt. Fury. They fought a conventional enemy, according to a conventional narrative of the outlines of WW II from the Western perspective. No superpowers, superweapons, or superbeings. No War Wheel, no Creature Commandos (1980s era), no zombies.

Zombies in a war comic - unheard of, my God, back when WW II was a real war, not a myth from the distant past.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 22, 4:22am

Post #36 of 42 (251 views)
Shortcut
Feeling old, squire? :) [In reply to] Can't Post

My brother used to read war comics in the '60s and '70s (and I'd sneak a few to read when he wasn't looking). I don't *think* those were DC or Marvel products but there's no way I can be certain, not all these years later.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 22, 4:25am

Post #37 of 42 (248 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I get what you're saying, squire... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and killing off Easy Company to put Sgt. Rock in charge of the Creature Commandos was a bold move (and it was convenient that there was no commissioned officer placed over Rock to lead the mission). I just suggest keeping an open mind until you decide to watch the short (if you ever do so).

I'll admit that I've never read all that many war comics; I've probably seen more now that I'm older than I ever read as a kid or teen. It's just not one of the genres that ever really grabbed me.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 22, 4:31am)

squire
Half-elven

Aug 22, 4:38am

Post #38 of 42 (245 views)
Shortcut
Oog... drool ... time for my cookie? [In reply to] Can't Post

You got me!

The weird thing about this thread is that in the good old days I thought Sgt.Rock was a blatant DC ripoff of the real thing, Marvel's Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos. I refused to read Sgt. Rock on principle.

But seeing this post about what's happened to Sgt. Rock in the new era has made me want to defend him as a genuine war comics hero!

squire online:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 22, 4:49am

Post #39 of 42 (241 views)
Shortcut
Who was imitating whom? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The weird thing about this thread is that in the good old days I thought Sgt.Rock was a blatant DC ripoff of the real thing, Marvel's Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos. I refused to read Sgt. Rock on principle.

But seeing this post about what's happened to Sgt. Rock in the new era has made me want to defend him as a genuine war comics hero!

The funny thing about that is that Sgt. Rock predated Nick Fury by several years (debuting in 1959 versus Fury in 1963). Wink Tongue

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 22, 4:50am)

squire
Half-elven

Aug 22, 4:53pm

Post #40 of 42 (194 views)
Shortcut
Ha! That doesn't surprise me. [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said, I "thought" Rock came after Fury.

As growing children my brothers and I gravitated to Marvel in the mid-60s and began to look down, a bit, on DC. I don't think the local candy store carried Sgt Rock, so I only found out about him when I got a bit older, getting the impression somehow that it had just started up since I'd not seen it before, and by then I was a fond fan of the Howling Commandos.

Thanks for the correction!

squire online:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 22, 5:02pm

Post #41 of 42 (193 views)
Shortcut
That's okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

...thanks for reminding me that some of the more fantastical elements from Blackhawk were introduced well after World War II. Later the Blackhawks were retooled more in the 'costumed adventurers' mold. I really dug the 1982 run written by Mark Evanier with artist Dan Spiegle that returned to the WWII setting.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 24, 6:53pm

Post #42 of 42 (105 views)
Shortcut
Avengers: Endgame, rewatch [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that I can see it online and avail myself of features not available on the big screen (fast forward for dull scenes, and captions for lines I missed, plus of course rewind & rewatch), I found I enjoyed it a lot more. Some parts of the movie are like eating your least favorite but most nutritious vegetables--necessary, but not enjoyable. For me, those were the scenes showing happy family life, which I think were needed to balance the movie and make viewers feel that real human beings and relationships were at stake, but they were still dull, maybe because to me at least, there were practically running banners saying, "See? This is family life. Isn't it precious? Isn't it awful when we lose these people, and sweet when we get them back?" Just nothing subtle there. But it's an action movie, so, forget the subtle.

But the same movie handles short & sweet scenes well. I thought Spider-man's "death" in Infinity War and his reunion with Iron Man in Endgame packed a lot of punch for being short and sweet. Maybe because Tom Holland has that infectious freshness and earnestness among a cast of adult characters who seem rather cynical and jaded. Even in Endgame, he's on his best manners during the epic battle and keeps politely introducing himself to people.

Re-watching the epic battle scene multiple times, I greatly appreciated how they tried to give a little screen time to every character, even Valkyrie (give me a sword and a flying horse, and I would fight battles against bad guys all day long, that's so cool). And on the 4th rewatch, I noticed they had a "girl power" scene, where Spider Man expresses doubt about how Captain Marvel can get the gauntlet to the van, and a bunch of women characters show up and say, "Don't worry, she has help." Fine that it's there, but I think women already carry such powerful roles in this film, which is why it did seem subtle. Certainly Red Witch and Captain Marvel seemed more of an even match for Thanos than even Thor.

Overall, I think my favorite part was the fight choreography where different people rapidly tag-teamed in their assaults in perfect coordination, using their abilities to complement each other. If sports or management teams get stuck in seminars on the value of teamwork, this should be required viewing.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.