Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Saruman, Ring- Maker

elevorn
Lorien

Jul 23, 8:29pm

Post #1 of 10 (643 views)
Shortcut
Saruman, Ring- Maker Can't Post

In The Fellowship of The ring Gandalf recounts his conversation that led up to his imprisonment in Orthanc. In that tale he speaks of Saruman wearing a ring and calling himself Ring-maker. Is there any other information on what this is and how it holds power or increases Saruman? Its kind of glossed over in the book, but with all of Saruman's study surely there was more to it than a trinket. Any thoughts?

Also, yes I've been out a while and this may have already been discussed, if it has I apologize.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 24, 1:48am

Post #2 of 10 (603 views)
Shortcut
Ring of the White Hand [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems most likely to me that Saruman would craft a Ring for himself that would aid him in manipulating and dominating the will of others.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Jul 24, 1:39pm

Post #3 of 10 (544 views)
Shortcut
Firstly, that's an awesome name for Saruman's Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

Secondly, this is a question that has always bothered me! Every time I read LOTR, it always irks me, in the back of my head, that Saruman never displayed what he could do with his Ring - was it what allowed him to create the armies of Uruk-Hai, or to bend them to his will? Was it what gave him the power of his voice - that would be interesting, if that was not in fact something he could do on his own. Tolkien never mentions the Ring again, though, so I wonder how important he intended it to be - you would think Gandalf would have been much more concerned about it, considering the current state of affairs in Middle-earth.

"It is my duty to fight" - Mulan

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 24, 2:01pm

Post #4 of 10 (539 views)
Shortcut
Thanx. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't take the credit though; I got that name from the Horse-lords of Rohan supplement for The One Ring Roleplaying Game.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 24, 2:02pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 24, 2:05pm

Post #5 of 10 (539 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf thought it important enough to mention, but [In reply to] Can't Post

not worth discussing when he confronted Saruman after Isengard had been captured by the Ents. Breaking his staff seemed to be the only thing that mattered.

It didn't seem to help Saruman in his beggar life after the war. All in all, I think its powers had to be fairly weak, and Gandalf pointed it out at the Council of Elrond more as a sign that Saruman was a Sauron wannabe.

Coincidentally, Gramma and I discussed it some a couple weeks ago, but without reaching definitive conclusions.

elevorn
Lorien

Jul 24, 2:30pm

Post #6 of 10 (528 views)
Shortcut
Its a mystery [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm listening through Fellowship on Audible now and that part came up. I don't think I've ever really thought about it before. Of course, even the powers of the great rings seem to be vague. Tolkien doesn't spell out magic in Middle Earth the way Rowling, or even Martin does. There is a sense of mystery to the "power" that dwells in elvish lore and the Istari. The Valar seem to have their powers spelled out relatively clear, but when we get down the line its just, "they had power".

I wonder, is there something more spelled out in The History of Middle Earth, all my copies are in storage and I don't have them digitally yet.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 24, 2:40pm

Post #7 of 10 (530 views)
Shortcut
Saruman's Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It didn't seem to help Saruman in his beggar life after the war. All in all, I think its powers had to be fairly weak, and Gandalf pointed it out at the Council of Elrond more as a sign that Saruman was a Sauron wannabe.

True, but maybe the wizard's ring lost its power when his own power was broken. It seems obvious that it must have been a creation resulting from Saruman's own study of Ring-craft.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 24, 2:42pm)

Eruonen
Valinor

Aug 3, 3:31am

Post #8 of 10 (402 views)
Shortcut
We have to think who he interacted with and bent to his will....a ring of compulsion? [In reply to] Can't Post

From orcs, to men including Theoden and beasts maybe he worked on a ring that gave him the ability to dominate others wills. I think that it was not yet a "great ring" but a work in progress. He had been actively researching ring lore etc.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 3, 1:37pm

Post #9 of 10 (359 views)
Shortcut
That's my assumption too [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that it was not yet a "great ring" but a work in progress.

Whatever he made, it was a cheap copy of a real ring of power, not equal to the others.

InTheChair
Lorien

Aug 12, 11:12pm

Post #10 of 10 (73 views)
Shortcut
Could have been just a sham [In reply to] Can't Post

Something he made to deceive the Orcs into believing that he did have one of the great rings.

Saruman had found the golden cask and chain that Isildur had used to carry the Ring in, though I don't suppose that would have given him any kind of template as to what it looked liked.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.