The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
What real fans do: Minecrafters re-create Middle-earth over 9 years

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 18 2019, 7:09pm

Post #1 of 10 (1960 views)
Shortcut
What real fans do: Minecrafters re-create Middle-earth over 9 years Can't Post

OK, Tolkien fans, what have YOU done for Middle-earth lately? I came across this article on how a team in Minecraft has been recreating Middle-earth, mostly based on the movies, but also including book-only scenes, such as Frodo meeting the Elves in Woody End while on his way to Crickhollow. They even created Dol Amroth down to individual, enterable houses (10:30 in the video).

The 15-min video on the page was a mildly annoying to watch because I wanted more of what they created and less screen time on giggly, self-congratulatory talking heads. And uber-nerds trying to redeem themselves by talking uber-cool sounds strange, such as saying Dol Amroth was the home of a "prince dude." But that aside, it was impressive to see what they did, and their dedication is unparalleled. Their rendition of Helm's Deep was particularly sleek. Hit them up, dude.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 19 2019, 11:23am

Post #2 of 10 (1921 views)
Shortcut
Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so impressed with the detail and dedication. I wish the creators were the ones to walk us through it. The gamers are definitely liking it, but were a huge distraction to drinking in all the detail of each area. Plus, for me, the fast spinning and movement has kinda set off a problem I have with that kind of action making me disoriented/motion sick.

I'd like to hear it from the creators, also, because you can see they took this recreation seriously. I'd love to go on a tour without the gamers ;)

Thanks for this! Wonderful!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 19 2019, 5:09pm

Post #3 of 10 (1889 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

There was very little touring, and a LOT of guys staring at computers and cracking wise...it was very annoying Unimpressed

That being said, WOW on the creation! I hope someone posts a video about just the tour itself without all the spinning and annoying commentary soon!

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 19 2019, 6:03pm

Post #4 of 10 (1884 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad it wasn't just me [In reply to] Can't Post

that was annoyed. And yes, maybe somewhere out there is a video with all tour and some voice over narration.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 19 2019, 6:15pm

Post #5 of 10 (1882 views)
Shortcut
Ta da! Better video found [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, it was the 2nd search result on Youtube, so I can't claim I spent hours slaving over a hot computer to find this, or maybe I will claim it just to be a brat.

Anyway, I've just spot-checked this one--it's 46 min and appears to be ALL tour and just voiceover. It remains very impressive. Also, while it's similar giggly narration (maybe the same guys, who knows), it is helpful, such as pointing out the movie scene where Farmer Maggot chased them over a hill and they had a shortcut to mushrooms, or saying that actually going through this on Minecraft could take several hours of real time. WOW!!

PS. The video was posted April 2018--how could we not know!?!??!?!! Smile

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Jul 19 2019, 6:19pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 19 2019, 9:26pm

Post #6 of 10 (1870 views)
Shortcut
Oh... that's much better :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for doing the hunt! Well worth it :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 19 2019, 9:27pm

Post #7 of 10 (1869 views)
Shortcut
oooo.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dom Monaghan could do the narration! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Mari D.
Rivendell

Jul 29 2019, 11:11am

Post #8 of 10 (1741 views)
Shortcut
Wow ... very beautiful and diligent work. And so many places are covered in detail. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though I personally wouldn't spend so much time working on such a project, if they have fun doing it, I certainly don't mind enjoying and being grateful for the result of their efforts.

You may also want to check out the "Fall of Gondolin" adventure map they made ... there's Let's Plays of it on Youtube. I was quite thrilled by it.

E.g. this one:
https://www.youtube.com/...t=PLAF93B445BD90287A

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 29 2019, 2:33pm

Post #9 of 10 (1724 views)
Shortcut
Wow--that Fall of Gondolin is impressive [In reply to] Can't Post

Complete with fires and notes to discover about Tuor throwing Maeglin off a cliff. Thanks for the link.

Mari D.
Rivendell

Aug 3 2019, 9:48am

Post #10 of 10 (1689 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome ^_^ / [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.