Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Was Game of Thrones only made possible by Jackson's LOTR movies?
Poll: Was Game of Thrones only made possible by Jackson's LOTR movies?
Yes
No
View Results (16 votes)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 14 2019, 5:54pm

Post #1 of 7 (2923 views)
Shortcut
Was Game of Thrones only made possible by Jackson's LOTR movies? Can't Post

I am genuinely on the fence about this, probably because I'm too biased toward Tolkien to be objective. What I'm trying to do is figure out just how historically influential the LOTR movies were in cinema. What do you think?

I will grant that GoT already had a big following from the books, so maybe the series would have happened anyway. But would it have been given the big budget it had (which helped make it successful), or did it benefit from the LOTR movies proving that investing in fantasy can pay off big?

When I look at IMDB's top-grossing fantasy films and rule out animations, scifi, comic book movies (sorry, they're not epics), and other unrelated movies like Pirates of the Caribbean (it didn't create a world from scratch), I think Harry Potter movies are the only ones in a league with LOTR and The Hobbit.

[And yes, I know, GoT was on TV and LOTR and Hobbit were movies.]

PS. For more context, "every studio wants the next Game of Thrones now," and I wonder how much of that can be traced back to LOTR.

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Jul 14 2019, 6:00pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 15 2019, 1:43am

Post #2 of 7 (2858 views)
Shortcut
Maybe. [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly, George R.R. Martin's The Song of Ice and Fire series would never have been written if not for the influence of Tolkien. But I would agree that the HBO series owes a great debt to the success of Jackson's LotR films proving that heroic fantasy can attract a large audience.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 16 2019, 3:04pm

Post #3 of 7 (2700 views)
Shortcut
I said yes but [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the commercial success of the Harry Potter movies also contributed.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Dec 19 2019, 4:23pm

Post #4 of 7 (1720 views)
Shortcut
Fantasy has been growing as a genre for some time [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to give PJ all kinds of credit for the vision and execution of the LOTR movies but the general public has been moving toward these kind of fantastical epics in multimedia for some time. PJ's movies as well as the Harry Potter films likely played a big role in the initial financial support for GOT but as a resutl, I hesitate to say GOT was only made possible by the LOTR movies.

Fantasy has largely supplanted the hard SF that I grew up on. I suppose in many respects, it's easier since the authors don't really have to do any research, understand physics or engineering, etc. but the reasons for the explosion don't matter -- the simple fact is that the market and public appetite HAS exploded, making the financial support for GOOD fantasy much easier to get.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 20 2019, 4:35pm

Post #5 of 7 (1707 views)
Shortcut
*bows to Harry Potter* [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess modern fantasy owes its mainstream appeal to both LOTR and Harry Potter. But it's come a long way from films like "Willow" and others: more mature, more complex, higher production values. The bar's been set a lot higher--yay!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 20 2019, 4:49pm

Post #6 of 7 (1704 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Lite [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps ironically, I have criticisms of Willow that apply equally to Peter Jackson's Hobbit trilogy, largely: shortcuts in storytelling that don't always make narrative sense; and bits of silliness that are forced and distracting.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 20 2019, 4:49pm)

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 31 2020, 10:37pm

Post #7 of 7 (353 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

I havent watched GoT but from all I have gathered it might owe its possibility to LOTR yes. For those who like violence and gore at least (which I hate).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.