Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! May 23

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23, 9:41pm

Post #1 of 16 (1212 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! May 23 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

Hey... here in the U.S. we're facing a holiday weekend... are you ready? Do you have some plans to get some miles under your feet? I'm hitting another massive flea market; so I'll be walking and toting my treasure I buy for about 3 hours on Monday. We look forward to this every year!

What are your plans? DO TELL!

I've hit a marker this week. I've finished my ride to the Grey Havens with Frodo, Sam, Bilbo and the Elves. It was great to find Gandalf waiting for us. I'm going to wait over there with the ponies while the dear friends say their goodbyes. Now it's getting ready for the long ride home.

See you on the Road!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 31, 3:16am

Post #2 of 16 (1113 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! May 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers!

Can you believe it? This is our last walk for the month of May. TIME sure does fly!

So how are you coming along on your Quest? Are you going to reset and pick some new activities/targets for the change in the season? DO TELL!

I'm doing as usual... 5 projects going on at once and none of them getting done! *shakes head*

I'm on the last leg of the last of the Éowyn Challenge charts. Merry, Pippin, Sam and I have been standing on the shore watching the Elven ship as it sails out of sight. We give Sam some quiet and move away towards the ponies as Sam lingers at the water's edge looking out to the horizon as darkness moves in. We quietly ride away.

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 7, 2:46am

Post #3 of 16 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! June 6 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walker!

I hope you're enjoying great progress on your journey. What I love about our Rivendell Walking is how many different ways we can gather our miles! Especially now that the summer weather has hit my neck of the woods. I've been toting rocks, pavers, wheelbarrows of dirt and mounds of decimated black walnuts that cover the ground all winter. What a mess!

So do tell of how you keep yourself busy :D

I'm riding from the Grey Havens back to Hobbiton after watching the Elven ship sail out of sight. We stop at the top of the hill and look back across the water before turning and leaving Frodo, Bilbo and Gandalf to their new lives; but it's impossible to shake the feeling that we've left a big part of ourselves behind.

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 13, 12:37pm

Post #4 of 16 (966 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! June 13 [In reply to] Can't Post

How are you finding your mid-June is treating you? Are you busy? Are you waiting for kids to get out of school? Yes... many are STILL in school because of the winter storms. Do you have plans for the summer/winter months? *checks world globe*

We're having fine weather here in mid-Michigan. It's a bit rainy this week, but the newly-planted crops around my house need this soft, goodly drink. Sadly, many farmers' fields still have standing water... enough that ducks and Canadian geese are paddling about and sitting on nests. Too many of those farmers had to make the sad choice of no planting this season. Family farms that have been around for generations are finding it hard to keep going with so many challenges... so many haven't made it. It makes me appreciate my neighbours and where I live so much more!!

For me, the only upside to this is that I don't have to exercise my patience as I try to drive around the tractors and grain wagons who are trying to get from field one to field two.

I'm rebuilding my rock garden I tore apart whilst digging around for my septic tank. Uhhhh... those rocks and boulders seem a bit heavier than they were 2 years ago; but I'm having fun creating a new garden. I'll have some before & after pics in a few weeks. One of the equipment manufacturers nearby has generously brought in trucks and trucks full of wood mulch from their factory free for anyone to take. My little trailer, Sam, and I went and put a dent in one of those mounds. Probably close to $50 in mulch for free! Gotta love farming communities :D

So what are you up to? Do you have plans for the yard? Have you got your snow shovels handy? DO TELL!

Merry, Pippin, Sam and I are still on our way back home from leaving Frodo at the Havens. It's a pretty somber ride, but Gandalf's foresight that M&P's joy of life and friends (especially since returning from the War) would help Sam in his life transition and temporary (albeit very long) separation from his dearest friend.

*sigh*

Take care... and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 21, 12:01am

Post #5 of 16 (515 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! June 20 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope your days have been kind and your distractions pleasant and gratifying :) How are you coming along on your Quest? Do you have a specific goals, or are you just having fun being on the Road?
I've finally started working on rebuilding my rock garden where I dug up my yard 2 years ago looking for my septic tank. TWO YEARS! Mercy! It was right up against the skirt of my garage and sloped down onto the yard (very small area-12ft x 10ft). This time I'm going to make something Middle-earthish out of it. I'll keep you posted ;)
Sam, Pippin, Merry and I are still on our long, quiet ride back to Hobbiton after leaving our beloved friends sailing from the Havens. We're almost to the Far Downs and still have a few weeks to go.
How are you doing!? *waves fondly* See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

noWizardme
Valinor

Jun 23, 10:43am

Post #6 of 16 (497 views)
Shortcut
Still here - well, three different places! [In reply to] Can't Post

Checking my mileage for the first time since March I see I'm 1602 miles out of Bag End. I passed the Breaking of the Fellowship without noting it, which means I can think of myself now as being in three different M-e locations:

Maybe I'm with Frodo and Sam in Shelob's lair, some time on March 12/13?

Maybe I'm riding towards Meduseld with Argaorn, Legolas, Gimli and Gandlaf, and just about to cross the Snowbourne (March 2nd)?

Or maybe I'm being carried to the Entmoot by Treebeard, with M&P (on only Feb 30th, whcih is a data in Middle-earth, apparently - M&P have get to this distance days ahead of the others because they've been carried about at high speed by orcs then ents. Is that cheating?).

Exam season has finished for the younger of the Wiz kids, and the elder one is back from college. So we could all go on the elderflower hunt, around our village for the fragrant white flowerheads of this season.

Elderflowers (flowers of Sambucus nigra) make a nice summer drink (sample recipies and info here https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/...ower-and-how-to-use/ ) Haven't tried the fritters in that reference though, but I suppose there's still time before the flowers have become elder berries (with which my uncle used to make a decent red 'wine').

Do folks do things with elder in the Americas? I see there are Sambucus spp. from the East coast as far west as Texas, and other subspiecies on the West coast - so you've got the trees, but what people do with them, I don't know.

Aside from travelling the byways of Oxfordshire, we've also been having some fun making bread with the kids (that is, we were making it together, rather than it being an orcish recipie that has humans as an ingredient). Whether the sourdough bread revipie we have would satisfy 'Surdough Sam' I don't know, so if any of my three parties of Middle-earth travellers see any Californians upon the roads, they will be sure to ask for a recipie.

~~~~~~
"Go down to the shovel store and take your pick." Traditional prank played on dwarves when they start down the mine.

squire
Half-elven

Jun 23, 11:56am

Post #7 of 16 (477 views)
Shortcut
Elderberry recipes in the USA? [In reply to] Can't Post

SpruceEats is part of a US-based health etc. network with, evidently, recipes and advice for everything under the sun. Here's their suite of ways to eat or enjoy Elderberries.

I've always heard of Elderberrry wine, at least, probably because of Elton John's song. But I myself have never encountered it or any other preparation of Elderberries, and at one point my mother was on an 'eating wild' kick during which I thought we ate every wildflower and weed in New England.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23, 12:51pm

Post #8 of 16 (471 views)
Shortcut
Elderberry fritters? [In reply to] Can't Post

Fascinating - frying the flowers right on the branch!

At present I've been enjoying elderberry jelly on English muffins. My New England town has both seashore and hilly farmland; the jelly is made locally and sold at the farm stand "up the road" from here. Smile

Making bread with the kids is a fun activity! Do they keep anxious watch as the dough rises? Have you tried making small rolls and croissants? And there are few aromas more satisfying than that of bread fresh from the oven!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 23, 1:00pm

Post #9 of 16 (470 views)
Shortcut
What a choice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Which direction should you go!? I've always picked Frodo and Sam first only because (as I figured it) they were the first to break away from the Fellowship and make their own way... but any choice works!! :D

I hadn't heard about the flowering part of elderberries! Where I grew up on SW Michigan, we had a massive area of elderberries growing in the back yard along the lake. Mom made the best jelly and pies. Although, I have to admit more berries made it into our mouths as we picked them for Mom than made it into the basket ;)

What a great GREAT way to spend time with the kiddoes. *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 23, 1:50pm

Post #10 of 16 (466 views)
Shortcut
Elderberries in Baking. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's easy enough to use elderberries in baked goods such as muffins. They can also be used for pie or tarts, though elderberry pie requires a fair amount of sugar!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

noWizardme
Valinor

Jun 23, 6:12pm

Post #11 of 16 (448 views)
Shortcut
"at one point my mother was on an 'eating wild' kick" [In reply to] Can't Post

Yikes! Was that fun at all?

As regards 'eating wild' - One of the worst things I've ever eaten, in order to try out something Mrs NoWiz had been reading about, was nettle soup (from leaves of the stinging nettle Urtica dioica). It tasted like super-spinachly-spinach (and, I'd claim, hints of earwax, though that is controversial). Wierd effect of the tricomes (stingers) floating on top of the soup, like microplastic garbage. I've made more appetising biochemistry experiments. I probably should have guessed that would have ended badly for me. I even helped pick the nettles; I'm that {daft/devoted a husband}.

Of course, some people like those flavours - Mrs NoWiz thought it was great (and didn't agree about the earwax thing), and gladly ate mine as well. So that ws all right, I suppose.

Meanwhile - Sounds like New England knows everyting old England knows about making foodstuffs from elder.

I did have one go at making elderberry wine (you can also make elderflower wine to get a white, but the berries yield a tannic red). It was OK, I suppose. We used it for cooking, it was that successful.

~~~~~~
"Go down to the shovel store and take your pick." Traditional prank played on dwarves when they start down the mine.

noWizardme
Valinor

Jun 23, 6:14pm

Post #12 of 16 (449 views)
Shortcut
Just to prove how insane English is... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to prove how insane English is, you can reach for the sugar while saying "this elderbery pie is a trifle tart!"

~~~~~~

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27, 11:12am

Post #13 of 16 (424 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! June 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

Here we are at our last week of June... ALREADY! Mercy, where do the days go!?

I hope you're enjoying your season whether hot or cold. ;) I've been tackling some BADLY-needed landscaping that has ended up being more intense than I thought. Pulling out old stumps and planting new shrubs. Sweating like I afixed a spigot to my hat! I'm hoping to finish it VERY soon so I can move on to re-building my rock garden I tore apart on my septic tank hunt. I have SO MUCH FUN! :D

So what are you doing for your mileage? Vacation? Yard work? *kaff* Cleaning? DO TELL!

Merry, Pippin, Sam and I are still on our way back to Hobbiton after leaving Frodo, Bilbo and Gandalf sailing from the Havens. Something tells me they'll reach Valinor before we get back home at the rate we're going... but I'm thinking the slow transition will help Sam, especially. We have at least a couple of weeks to go from the look of it.

See you on the Road :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 27, 11:13am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 4, 12:59pm

Post #14 of 16 (266 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! July 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a LONG weekend here in the U.S. in honour of America's b'day. A special day to celebrate :D Have you got plans? MOST of the activities involved on this Holiday includes getting out and about! Going to the beach, walking on trails enjoying the country, sharing games and cookouts with family and friends... then there's the fireworks! Have you got special plans for the day?

I'm hoping to make it up about an hour or two north of me here in mid-Michigan to walk the trails in a wonderful virgin Pine forest. It's a park now, but it once was a booming logging area with a permanent camp. While it hasn't been harvested for around 60 years, the original camp has been preserved as a live museum of life in those days. We're part of the https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11463"]Paul Bunyan legacy. As usual, rounding up family that wants to come along is like herding cats! *sighI

I hope you're coming along on your Quest and racking up the miles in a fun and satisfying way!

The hobbits and I are still making our way home from watching Gandalf, Bilbo and Frodo sail from the Havens. It's a long trip, but I think very helpful in giving us time to adjust to our new world without our dear friend.

Have a wonderful weekend... and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 11, 11:15pm

Post #15 of 16 (51 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! July 11 [In reply to] Can't Post

Here we meet once again on the Road to or from our goal ;) Depends on your mood, right? Lately I seem to be meeting myself coming and going... so this makes sense! But it's all good when you're lucky and not in the throes of hard weather, fires, or the ground moving under your feet. I truly hope everyone is ok and not living through the harsh events going on around the world. *big hug*

Here in Michigan, the weather has been really good! A bit on the warm side and dry, but nothing like what is being promised all next week. Still mostly dry, but very hot and humid. *in best Wicked Witch voice... I'M MELTING!* I'll be doing INDOOR projects then ;)

How are you coming along on your trek? Do you do better if you have a goal or if you rogue-out and just keep moving along? I set goals so I can ignore them or keep getting distracted. It's a whole "thing" I've perfected. ;)

Sam, Merry, Pippin and I have made it to Michel Delving and will be spending the night at the Inn. Doors, a roof, a bed and everything! Nice not to wash the pans in the river for a change. Makes home seem closer... finally!

See you on the Road! And stay safe :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Thu, 2:08pm

Post #16 of 16 (10 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell.... and Beyond! July 18 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers!

Are you dealing with the heat wave embracing nearly half of the US? Here in mid-Michigan, we're promised temps today and tomorrow pushing over 100 degree C with the high humidity. Good day to work inside... which I will be!

How are you coming along on your Quest or just your daily activities? As long as we keep moving around, it's all good :D

Sam, Pippin, Merry and I are getting very close to home. In fact, Merry and Pippin are continuing east... singing as they go... while Sam and I turn northwest onto Bywater Road. I'm sticking with Sam on these long, quiet miles now that our upbeat friends have moved on. Thankfully the trip is almost done and Sam will have his Rosie and little Elanor to help him through the adjustment of losing Frodo.

I hope you all are having a good journey... I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.