Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Quizzicle: Food Guides to Middle-earth

squire
Half-elven

Jul 10, 5:58pm

Post #1 of 9 (431 views)
Shortcut
Quizzicle: Food Guides to Middle-earth Can't Post

One was posted on another site, and one is my response.

(Click on each for a larger image)

1. What are the differences?
2. Which world has more appealing Food Tour destinations - to you?
3. Which came first, and which is my response?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 10, 11:52pm

Post #2 of 9 (355 views)
Shortcut
Well, it's quite obvious! [In reply to] Can't Post

The map on the left, which uses food indications from the movies, must have been the one posted on the other site.

Whereas you, keeping true to the textual references, have presented the map on the right. (That would make a good quiz - match the food to the area!)

And I think I'd rather search for meals using the book-foods map, especially as it leads one to Rivendell rather than Weathertop for pleasant dining. I'll stay away from both Eregion and Moria, though. (It's interesting that the areas on the movie-foods map tend to be larger than those on the book-foods map.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 11, 3:41am

Post #3 of 9 (345 views)
Shortcut
It would be just like you to fool us with the "Middle Earth" spelling. [In reply to] Can't Post

And the "Pre-book at restaurants" joke is good!

My guess is that both maps are yours.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

hanne
Lorien

Jul 11, 4:28pm

Post #4 of 9 (291 views)
Shortcut
I like your joke about Denethor's eatables :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It's interesting how the movie makers also used food in that scene to illustrate Denethor's character, though the method and effect were different.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 14, 4:08pm

Post #5 of 9 (227 views)
Shortcut
I should check that "other site" more often. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just found your source! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Jul 14, 4:35pm

Post #6 of 9 (228 views)
Shortcut
Yours is almost definitely the one on the right [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the accuracy and attention to detail. One thing, though: I'm surprised there's no reference to the heady wines of Dorwinion in Thranduil's halls, or the dry, uninspiring waybread known as Cram in Erebor. And the infamous honey-cakes of the Beornings! (I can't tell you how disappointed I was that Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies didn't show off the honey-cakes of the Beornings).

"It is my duty to fight" - Mulan

squire
Half-elven

Jul 14, 6:40pm

Post #7 of 9 (220 views)
Shortcut
Sure! but... [In reply to] Can't Post

The original limited itself to The Lord of the Rings, and thus so did I in my version.

So the "Middle Earth" or "Middle-earth" in the title is kind of deceptive, unless we reflect that Bilbo's world in The Hobbit is never actually called that - at least, not in the book!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Jul 15, 10:03am

Post #8 of 9 (197 views)
Shortcut
I must confess that I didn't think of that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very tricksy! I guessd the second one. Do i get half marks if they turn out to be both?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 16, 12:45pm

Post #9 of 9 (62 views)
Shortcut
oooo... I like this :D [In reply to] Can't Post

As soon as I looked at this a thousand days ago, I knew I wanted to investigate this when I had time to give it. :)

Ok... my guess is that map/list 2 is yours. The spelling of Middle-earth is the first clue. Middle Earth makes me twitch!

1. What are the differences?
The 2nd has food references more from the text and describes the food with the detail and importance a Hobbit would give :)
The 1st one shows all of Mordor open for dinner. So Not! The hobbits basically starved most of the time there.
The 1st one was done by a movie-goer with oodles of movie references.

2. Which world has more appealing Food Tour destinations - to you?

The 2nd! It's more genuine.

3. Which came first, and which is my response?

The 2nd one must be yours. It's factual, realistic, and sounds very yummy! :)

This was great! Thanks!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.