Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
When was the last time you read the book?

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Jul 3 2019, 5:18pm

Post #1 of 13 (4939 views)
Shortcut
When was the last time you read the book? Can't Post

I fear for me it has to have been in 2006. I am trying to read it for a couple years now (2016-) but I haven't finished. And how much do you remember of what you DID read?

(This post was edited by Paulo Gabriel on Jul 3 2019, 5:21pm)

Silmaril
Rohan

Jul 4 2019, 9:35am

Post #2 of 13 (4892 views)
Shortcut
I started re-reading the book some month ago, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I always had PJ's "interpretation" in my head. So I stopped it.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Jul 4 2019, 1:28pm

Post #3 of 13 (4871 views)
Shortcut
Probably 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually reread the book every year or two but don’t think I got around to it last year. I remember quite a bit but obviously I don’t remember it eidetically or I wouldn’t get as much enjoyment out of rereading it as I do.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Jul 4 2019, 2:32pm

Post #4 of 13 (4864 views)
Shortcut
I think sometime in February or March? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a tradition of reading the works of Tolkien aloud to whatever friends or family members will listen, so this year I read The Silmarillion and The Hobbit aloud to my close circle of fellow Tolkienites. Needless to say, it makes me feel a bit like the Professor himself, reading to the Inklings.

"We are Kree"

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Jul 4 2019, 4:59pm

Post #5 of 13 (4841 views)
Shortcut
that's a shame... [In reply to] Can't Post

but for me, that's not so much of a problem as the movies barely even resemble the book. I recommend you try reading it again, but this time, whenever your mind starts to drift off into Peter-earth, just remember that Thorin has a beard and Tauriel doesn't exist.

kzer_za
Lorien

Jul 5 2019, 1:14am

Post #6 of 13 (4806 views)
Shortcut
Earlier this year [In reply to] Can't Post

When I watched through the extended trilogy.

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Jul 5 2019, 8:09am

Post #7 of 13 (4760 views)
Shortcut
That's very interesting and cool. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 5 2019, 5:04pm

Post #8 of 13 (4708 views)
Shortcut
Last year. And I'm trying to read it in French now [In reply to] Can't Post

and pretty much failing utterly. I'm still struggling through an online first-year French course, and all the past and future grammatical tenses in the Hobbit trip me up, not to mention just plain vocabulary! This has opened my eyes to the rather advanced language Tolkien uses in what he wrote as a children's book!
But I do love it in English. There's a lot more in this book than (often) meets the eye. The "trick" in reading it is to simply enter the world of The Hobbit as you would have if you were about 10 years old, and could imagine it was "real." Let yourself get lost in what it causes you to see, hear, and feel.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 5 2019, 5:07pm

Post #9 of 13 (4702 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe that's why I'm such a re-reader. My memory is pretty "un-eidetic." (Actually, although that helps, I just want back in that particular world from time to time.Smile)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Jul 6 2019, 10:25pm

Post #10 of 13 (4592 views)
Shortcut
haha, thanks! It's fun to be able to read it aloud to people [In reply to] Can't Post

(even to those who might not ordinarily want to listen): I like getting into character - there's no part more fun to read than Bilbo's song in Rivendell, at which point I will (of course) stand up and recite it just as Tolkien intended, with each verse moving faster and faster, until you reach that roaring crescendo - "The Flammifer of Westernesse!"

Has anybody else here ever read the book, or part of the book, aloud to a friend or family member? I think I do because it was my dad who read it aloud to me, when I was a kid, so I felt I should do the same for others.

"We are Kree"

Moahunter
Rohan

Jul 7 2019, 10:22pm

Post #11 of 13 (4445 views)
Shortcut
I read it to my daughters...... [In reply to] Can't Post

and it was the first time I read it.
But I read LotR when it was first published...and that was nearly 20 years earlier.

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Jul 8 2019, 4:13am

Post #12 of 13 (4407 views)
Shortcut
You read it... [In reply to] Can't Post

In 1954/55?

Moahunter
Rohan

Jul 8 2019, 8:16am

Post #13 of 13 (4391 views)
Shortcut
I started in 1955.... [In reply to] Can't Post

borrowing from Bristol public library. I was in my first year as a student at Bristol University and spent money on text books not leisure time reading. There was a big demand for LotR and a long waiting list for library copies. I can't remember how long I had between volumes.I was in the USA mid 1965 and bought the Ace "illegal" paperbacks, not realising at the time that they were not authorized. Somewhere along the years I've lost them.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.