Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - June 30 Midsummer's Eve
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 1, 11:31am

Post #76 of 80 (323 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking its like dogs who have travelled miles and miles to return to their homes. My Aunt had a dog that they gave to a new home over 100 miles away. Three months after that, the dog showed up in their yard looking much like how they described Bill. The new owners said she disappeared soon after they got her and they couldn't find her.
Bill went to the lands he knew just as Shadowfax returned to Rohan after Gandalf turned him loose.

Théoden said: "I will not deceive you: when I heard that Shadowfax had come back riderless, I rejoiced at the return of the horse, but still more at the lack of the rider; and when Éomer brought the tiding that you had gone at last to your long home..."

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 1, 3:09pm

Post #77 of 80 (308 views)
Shortcut
And your point is a good point [In reply to] Can't Post

So your aunt had one of those stories we see in the news about dogs traveling uncannily long distances to reunite with their owners? Wonderful!!! I guess Bill was the same.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 1, 3:18pm

Post #78 of 80 (305 views)
Shortcut
That's a creepy thought; and a quibble [In reply to] Can't Post

......his padding feet had taken him at last to Esgaroth, and even to the streets of Dale, listening secretly and peering. Well, the news of the great events went far and wide in Wilderland, and many had heard Bilbo's name and knew where he came from. We had made no secret of our return journey to his home in the West. Gollum's sharp ears would soon learn what he wanted.... ...He set out and came back westward, as far as the Great River. But then he turned aside. He was not daunted by the distance... ...something else drew him away...

So Bilbo and/or Frodo could have been murdered in their sleep in Bag End by Gollum, who'd then run off with the Ring? Good thing he was drawn away.

Quibble with Gandalf:

...[Gollum] hated Bilbo and cursed his name. What is more, he knew where he came from... ...Bilbo very foolishly told Gollum himself;

It seems to me that the general culture of Middle-earth is to give your name when you meet someone, as in "Thorin Oakenshield at your service." So Bilbo was not only being polite, I think he was being reflexive, the way when your phone rings you answer with "Hello?" without thinking. So, it just seems a little odd that Gandalf criticizes Bilbo as foolish here, but maybe the more general point is that Gandalf tends to be a scold by default, even with people he's friends with.

I know there are exceptions: Aragorn doesn't tell everyone his real name since Sauron might kill him. Gandalf gives Frodo (but only Frodo) the Mr Underhill alias to travel by. And Treebeard is shocked that Merry and Pippin so easily give away their names (dang hobbits and their indiscretion!). But still, those are exceptions.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 1, 3:59pm

Post #79 of 80 (301 views)
Shortcut
If Gollum had reached the Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So Bilbo and/or Frodo could have been murdered in their sleep in Bag End by Gollum, who'd then run off with the Ring? Good thing he was drawn away.

Well, probably just Bilbo. Frodo's parents didn't perish until T.A. 2980 and he lived with other relatives in Brandy Hall until he was adopted by Bilbo nine years later.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 2, 11:10am

Post #80 of 80 (222 views)
Shortcut
Good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

T'is a hobbity reflex to be open and forthcoming while the guardians/stewards are more guarded. Part of hiding out in the open, me thinks. ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.