Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien dictionary?

Elf_Maven
The Shire

Jun 28, 1:53pm

Post #1 of 4 (476 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien dictionary? Can't Post

I am curious as to how you all deal with the lack of necessary symbols and diacritical markings when communicating on either 1) a website textbox or 2) your personal emails. I am so frustrated with the "add to dictionary" feature, which still will not provide spelling corrections for Tolkien-related words AND cleans itself out every time there is an update (e.g., while using Firefox browser). Why is there no Tolkien dictionary add-on option?

"Go where you must go, and hope!"

- Gandalf, TTT The White Rider

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 29, 10:59pm

Post #2 of 4 (389 views)
Shortcut
I wish I had an answer for you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I'm really surprised that there isn't something readily available. What's surprising is that my add to dictionary feature has been working fine for years. I can cut and paste in Tolkien-esque diacritics, etc. BUT I prefer to use (on my old HP Desktop) Explorer and it's loaded with Vista. If that got wiped out all the time, I'd be primal screaming at the monitor all the time!

Good luck. I don't think you're asking for that much! :{

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Elf_Maven
The Shire

Jul 5, 5:24pm

Post #3 of 4 (277 views)
Shortcut
dictionary, cont'd [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, my old AOL browser used to be great. It not only would allow the "Add to dictionary" feature but would also then offer me the corrections, e.g., if I spelled a word without its diacritical symbols, it would offer the version I had added as a correct choice. Unfortunately with the newest AOL, the dictionary feature was downgraded (and there have been MANY complaints from those who still use AOL).
I use Firefox regularly, but...although it allows me to chose "Add to dictionary"...it will not offer the diacriticals version as a choice to correct the spelling of the same word without diacriticals. I was really hoping some fans who like to show the correct version would have found a solution that would also work for me. *sigh*

"Go where you must go, and hope!"

- Gandalf, TTT The White Rider

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 5, 9:14pm

Post #4 of 4 (253 views)
Shortcut
My Explorer [In reply to] Can't Post

does auto-correct with the diacritics IF I go into the auto-correct/dictionary file and cut & paste the diacritic version of the word to replace the plain-Jane word.

I don't do the auto-change a'purpose so I can find the words easier in my files I'm working on. I do a find/replace if I want to go through and update files I'm working on with the diacritic version.

But because I did add the diacritic version to my dictionary... it offers the diacritic word (Lothlórien) when I normally type Lothlorien (no diacritics) It shows as a misspelling.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.