Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Neanderthal featuring Andy Serkis

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jun 23, 8:11pm

Post #1 of 5 (384 views)
Shortcut
Neanderthal featuring Andy Serkis Can't Post

I just watched an interesting documentary on the Neanderthal. It features Andy Serkis, who works with a motion capture team to help with the reconstruction of a 60,000 year-old Neanderthal skeleton, they named "Ned."

The physical reconstruction is done by the Kenis (sp?) brothers, identical twin brothers from The Netherlands who did their first facial reconstruction of a Neanderthal skull at age 5. I have never seen anything like this before. These are not just reconstructions, they are like snapshots of real people. I am so wowed by the work they do.

They also explained how their brains worked, how they spoke, how they moved, hunted and ran (Andy helped out with these), skin color and texture, body type (maybe a little like Tolkien's Dwarves), speculated on spiritual beliefs and customs (I love the black feather theory, just feels right). and added all of these elements into the reconstruction.

Then it was time for Andy to add his motion capture element to the reconstructed face. The idea was to wake up this "Ned" after a 60,000 year nap. They go back and forth between Andy's face and the Ned's face, it is really neat how they worked this. What they said in the documentary was that Andy gave "Ned" a soul, and he does! Wow wee! After it was all said and done, I liked this Neanderthal man very much. If I were sitting around a campfire with "Ned" and his tribe 60,000 years ago, I would definately be wanting to hear their stories and whatever else they had to say, and probably be wanting to have "Ned's" baby.

They also discuss what the 3% Neanderthal DNA, which 90% of us have, does to our bodies, why are we here and they are not, if the Neanderthal were still here, would they look so different from us that we would know they were a different species of human.

I must say that Andy is aging quite well, and what he did with "Ned" is so impressive. I have learned that Neanderthals were not ape-men with long swinging arms and no intelligence. They were intelligent and loved their families and friends. This is worth a look.

Please, call me Ve.

(This post was edited by VeArkenstone on Jun 23, 8:19pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 24, 10:37am

Post #2 of 5 (322 views)
Shortcut
They were brought to life! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is truly fascinating to see how the brothers, Andy and the team help us appreciate what living in that time was like! Wonderful! I'm so happy to see how Andy's experience with Peter Jackson and their collaboration in the films has brought Andy's skills and passion to something like this (for one example).

Thank you for this! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jun 28, 6:07pm

Post #3 of 5 (280 views)
Shortcut
My Pleasure! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a great documentary.

Please, call me Ve.

CMackintosh
The Shire

Jul 8, 10:14am

Post #4 of 5 (185 views)
Shortcut
Druedain [In reply to] Can't Post

For what little it's worth, I've thought (for a long time) that Tolkien modelled the Druedain after the Neandertals - as people understood them in the 30s and 50s. And in doing so, attempted to ennoble them. (I could be wrong, of course :) )

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 10, 3:29am

Post #5 of 5 (166 views)
Shortcut
Neanderthal Woses? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's an interesting notion that I have wondered about myself. I don't know, however, that it is anything more than speculation.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.