Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
We could have had quite a different Aragorn - as played by Russell Crowe.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 21, 4:02am

Post #1 of 8 (535 views)
Shortcut
We could have had quite a different Aragorn - as played by Russell Crowe. Can't Post

PJ offered him the role but Russell said he could tell it was a half-hearted offer, so he turned it down.

https://www.news.com.au/...4f7dce7b29fa71416cef

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Chen G.
Rohan

Jun 21, 9:39am

Post #2 of 8 (493 views)
Shortcut
I know Crowe was looked for [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know that it was half-hearted on Jackson's part or that it was a studio call. I know that, in the Miramax period, they pushed for recognisable stars, and that's where casting ideas like Nicolas Cage and Sir Sean Connory emerged from.

I'm sure that Jackson wanted Crowe, a Kiwi, for his merits as an actor, which are considerable. The post-Gladiator recognition was an added benefit.

He would've been great, but of course Viggo's terrific. But then, Viggo himself was a last-minute replacement.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Jun 21, 9:48am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 21, 8:18pm

Post #3 of 8 (439 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Crowe, a Kiwi

That's debateable, depending on what toomfoolery he's been up to lately. Tongue

Although in fairness, he seems to have left his gigantic ego and anger issues behind in the last several years.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Chen G.
Rohan

Jun 21, 9:38pm

Post #4 of 8 (431 views)
Shortcut
Well, whatever the case [In reply to] Can't Post

He's from the British Commonwealth, which Jackson always favoured for these films. He's been explicit in his desire not to "americanize" these films. I believe he originally decided that all four Hobbits would be cast exclusively from the Commonwealth, until Sean Astin's audition and Elijah Wood's audition tape convinced him otherwise.

Its especially appearant in The Hobbit. Evageline Lilly's Canadian, Lee Pace's American, Mikael Persbrandt's Swedish, and besides that - the entire cast (which is huge) is drafed from the Commonwealth.

Plus, Crowe's an absolutely terrific actor. And, being that The Lord of the Rings was riding the wave of epics that came in the wake of Braveheart and Gladiator, Crowe would have been a very natural choice. I recall that Jackson considered Patrick McGoohan for Gandalf (man, that would have been weird), probably for that very reason.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Jun 21, 9:42pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 21, 11:54pm

Post #5 of 8 (423 views)
Shortcut
Although, [In reply to] Can't Post

all talent aside, PJ prefers his cast to be drama-free and that's definitely not Crowe.

Ataahua's stories

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 22, 4:48pm

Post #6 of 8 (367 views)
Shortcut
"Quit beating up the stuntmen, Russell! This is Bilbo's party, not Helm's Deep." // [In reply to] Can't Post

Noria
Gondor

Jun 23, 2:37pm

Post #7 of 8 (338 views)
Shortcut
Lucky escape? [In reply to] Can't Post

From my point of view at least.

I don't care for Russell Crowe, though I acknowledge that he's a fine actor. He's too much of a jerk for my taste plus he's always Russell Crowe.

Viggo did do a terrific job, and he's a lot prettier.

On the LotR EE I think, I recall PJ saying something about an important factor in casting was how easy the actors would be to work with.

I like how they mostly cast lesser known or completely unknown actors in their movies. I imagine it costs less and leaves them free to search for exactly the right actor. That approach works because the casting for all six movies was excellent.

Chen G.
Rohan

Jun 24, 8:22am

Post #8 of 8 (320 views)
Shortcut
Fair point [In reply to] Can't Post

Each of these trilogies was being shot for over a year. Thatís a much longer time (compared to your average movie) to have someone who you canít get along with going around the set.

Plus, Peter isnít a David Lean type with regards to bickering with his cast and crew.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.