Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
From rural town to film fame: How Matamata has changed since the boom of Hobbiton

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 21, 3:58am

Post #1 of 10 (1095 views)
Shortcut
From rural town to film fame: How Matamata has changed since the boom of Hobbiton Can't Post

This is a neat story about how two Middle-earth film trilogies have transformed the small rural town of Matamata.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/...the-boom-of-hobbiton

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 21, 3:54pm

Post #2 of 10 (1052 views)
Shortcut
Predictions [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember thinking on my first theatrical view of Hobbiton, "They should keep that set and make it a tourist destination," but the other part of me said, "Nah, they'd only get 10 people a week, if they were lucky." So, don't come to me for predictions. It is really cool that it's been a sustainable tourist site.

Now if only they'd rebuild Minas Tirith for me to visit someday. (Oh, and I want NZ to start pouring concrete to make a real-life Argonath for me to visit too. Look, I have a list I can share.)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 21, 8:20pm

Post #3 of 10 (1038 views)
Shortcut
:D [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Look, I have a list I can share.)

Can I add to it? *cough*Rivendell's library*cough*

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lissuin
Valinor

Jun 21, 9:43pm

Post #4 of 10 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Meduseld! [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 21, 10:35pm

Post #5 of 10 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! How DARE they NOT keep Edoras there!!?!?!!??! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lissuin
Valinor

Jun 21, 11:43pm

Post #6 of 10 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Although, after careful consideration, [In reply to] Can't Post

imagine if there were 350,000 people a year marching out there - and the buses and the tram up the hill they'd have to put in.Unsure
They could require everyone to arrive on horseback, I suppose.
And a flying fox off the top might be fun.

Yeah nah, I got to see it like this with nothing but cows and birds and wind around and could imagine that I was an archeologist looking for evidence of a horse culture I knew had once flourished there.
No, we'll always have TTT, CG. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 24, 11:57am

Post #7 of 10 (966 views)
Shortcut
What a great article :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so taken with Matamata and the residents at how hobbity they are. It's obvious they aren't much changed with the fame and influence of the films on their everyday sensibilities. That if it all went away tomorrow, the impact would be very low on them. The people are so resilient and unchanged by the lurch of popularity and massive tourism. They're amazing!

I know when I was there that I was VERY aware of the comfortable simplicity of the town. Simplicity in its easy-going demeanor and welcoming interactions. I enjoyed hanging out in Matamata very much and would love to go there again. I stayed in a small, very clean room (single bed and suitcase stand) above a rustic pub just a few steps from that tall clock in the center of the square. The lavatory/showers and a kitchenette were down the hall and the room had a single window looking out on the parking lot and neighbouring lumber yard. I thought it would be loud and busy on the Friday & Saturday nights I was there... but it wasn't in the least! I was having trouble getting the free wifi to work on my old laptop, and the lady who did double-duty as the Inn's receptionist and pub-worker was SO patient and helpful taking lots of time trying to establish a connection. I'd stay there again without hesitation.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 24, 12:12pm

Post #8 of 10 (965 views)
Shortcut
Ohhhh... I want that, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favourite Alan Lee sketches is Bilbo sitting at a desk where he's writing in the Rivendell Library!

I wish they'd complete Bag End so we could walk around in it like we can the Green Dragon; but it would be VERY cramped where it sits now. That spot on the path leading past Bag End is already quite a bottleneck at times ;) The Mill is big enough to finish on the inside and open to the tours :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 24, 4:22pm

Post #9 of 10 (948 views)
Shortcut
Not only complete Bag End, but make it a hotel or BnB or somehow stayable [In reply to] Can't Post

while somehow remaining cozy and not overtly commercial. Someone else has to figure out that formula. I'm an idea guy. And I said I had list. Smile (and it keeps growing)

Glad you were able to visit and enjoy the town. It sounds wonderful.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 25, 12:00pm

Post #10 of 10 (929 views)
Shortcut
The beauty and authenticity of Hobbiton [In reply to] Can't Post

is that it's not overtly commercial at all! There are no tire tracks on the paths snaking throughout the Hill; no wires or loudspeakers, no houses or building are in view of the Hill or from the Hill. No souvenier shops. It's Hobbiton...the Hill... alive, serene, real... The only place you can "buy" something is at the Green Dragon, and that's essentially food and drink. :)

If there was a B&B or hotel nearby, the closest it should/would/could be (imho) is at the entrance to the Hill at the main road where the (working) Alexander Farm gate croses the lane to the Hill. There's a large building (portal to the Hill) called the Shire's Rest that has a restaurant, souvenier shop, bus stop/parking lot, etc. That would be the place to put it; but I'll bet it could never be big enough to fit everyone who'd want to stay there ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 25, 12:05pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.