Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
A Summer Solstice Word Challenge Game

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 20, 2:08pm

Post #1 of 15 (523 views)
Shortcut
A Summer Solstice Word Challenge Game Can't Post

Here's something to keep you busy and stretch your brain as we celebrate the Summer Solstice when the following BS occurred.

**Each of these events has a challenge phrase after it. How many words can you build off those phrases? Extra Credit if you can find any Palindromes in there (spelled the same backwards and forwards [example: Taco Cat]).

Do 1 or do 4... put it down and pick it up later... just take your time and have fun with them.

From The Hobbit: The Last Stage

."...a day came at last when they were in sight of the country where Bilbo had been born and bred, where the shapes of the land and of the trees were as well known to him as his hands and toes... ...they crossed the bridge and passed the mill by the river and came right back to Bilbo's own door.
..."Bless me! What's going on?" he cried. There was a great commotion, and people of all sorts, respectable and unrespectable, were thick round the door, and many were going in and out—not even wiping their feet on the mat, as Bilbo noticed with annoyance.
...If he was surprised, they were more surprised still. He had arrived back in the middle of an auction! There was a large notice in black and red hung on the gate, stating that on June the Twenty-second Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes would sell by auction the effects of the late Bilbo Baggins Esquire, of Bag-End, Underhill, Hobbiton. Sale to commence at ten o'clock sharp."

**Here's your challenge phrase: Bless me! What's going on?

From The Fellowship of the Ring: The Council of Elrond

.[Legolas recounts for the Council] "'Alas! alas!' cried Legolas, and in his fair elvish face there was great distress. 'The tidings that I was sent to bring must now be told... ...Sméagol, who is now called Gollum, has escaped...'
..."'..In the days of fair weather we led Gollum through the woods; and there was a high tree standing alone far from the others which he liked to climb. Often we let him mount up to the highest branches, until he felt the free wind; but we set a guard at the tree's foot. One day, he refused to come down, and the guards had no mind to climb after him...
... It was that very night of summer, yet moonless and starless, that Orcs came on us at unawares. We drove them off after some time... ...When the battle was over, we found that Gollum was gone... ...the attack had been made for his rescue, and that he knew of it beforehand.'"

**Here's your challenge phrase: We found that Gollum was gone

From The Hobbit: A Short Rest

."So the time came to midsummer eve, and they were to go on again with the early sun on midsummer morning.
...Elrond knew all about runes of every kind. That day he looked at the swords they had brought from the trolls' lair... "...These are not troll-make. They are old swords, very old swords of the High Elves of the West, my kin. They were made in Gondolin for the Goblin-wars... ...show me now your map!""
..."He took it and gazed long at it... ...The moon was shining in a broad silver crescent. He held up the map and the white light shone through it. "What is this?" he said. "There are moon-letters here, beside the plain runes...'"
..."...What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps... ...and he also liked runes and letters and cunning handwriting..."
..."...Moon-letters are rune-letters, but you cannot see them," said Elrond, "not when you look straight at them. They can only be seen when the moon shines behind them... ...These must have been written on a midsummer's eve in a crescent moon, a long while ago..."”

**Here's your challenge phrase: There are moon-letters here

From The Fellowship of the Ring: The Council of Elrond

."'I...journeyed along the Greenway; and not far from Bree I came upon a traveller sitting on a bank beside the road... ...It was Radagast the Brown...
...'"...Gandalf!" he cried. "I was seeking you. But I am a stranger in these parts. All I knew was that you might be found in a wild region with the uncouth name of Shire."
...'"Your information was correct... ...But do not put it that way, if you meet any of the inhabitants. You are near the borders of the Shire now. And what do you want with me...?"
...'"...I have an urgent errand... ...My news is evil... ...Nazgûl," he whispered. "The Nine are abroad again... ...They have taken the guise of riders in black... ...I have been told that wherever they go the Riders ask for news of a land called Shire."
...'"THE Shire," I said; but my heart sank..."
...'"...you must go now," said Radagast; "for I have wasted time in looking for you, and the days are running short. I was told to find you before Midsummer, and that is now here. Even if you set out from this spot, you will hardly reach him before the Nine discover the land that they seek...'"

**Here's your challenge phrase: With the uncouth name of Shire

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 20, 3:11pm

Post #2 of 15 (490 views)
Shortcut
EXAMPLE and RULES: [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry... I forgot to add this explanation and some rules:

Only use each letter in the whole phrase ONCE for each word created. This one has "s" 3 times in the phrase... so you can use "s" three times in one word. "A" is only there once... so you can only use it once in each word. "O" is in the phrase twice... so you can use it 2 times if you want.

You do NOT have to use all the letters in each word and you do NOT have to use the punctuation.

Make as many words as you can. Each word is a new start and separate from the others.

EXAMPLE:

#1 Bless me! What's going on?

glean
blasts
gong
hats

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 20, 3:14pm)

hanne
Lorien

Jun 20, 7:42pm

Post #3 of 15 (474 views)
Shortcut
There are lemon otters here [In reply to] Can't Post

no she merlot
omelette north
reenter melons
heron metal
throne meeter
steel hornet
serene tolerate
three errors
Happy summer all ye northeners and happy sun-return all ye Kiwis!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 21, 4:23pm

Post #4 of 15 (439 views)
Shortcut
With the uncouth name of Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

Isen
Rohan
Eomer
Mearas

Thorin
Ori
Nori
Oin

Rian
Morwen
Huor
Tuor
Hurin
Turin
Nienor

Eru
Ainur
Manwe
Utumno
Tuna
Tirion

>>>This was fun. Thanks for the challenge, Gramma, and happy solstice!

hanne
Lorien

Jun 21, 6:03pm

Post #5 of 15 (423 views)
Shortcut
awesome list!! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Jun 22, 1:34am

Post #6 of 15 (417 views)
Shortcut
an attempt [In reply to] Can't Post

Bless me! What's going on?
less, seem, thaw, shaw, got, gong, boggle, blew, shawl, wash, mews,

ok so my boggle games tend to result in lots of short words and this is shaping up to be no different. perhaps i shall wait to see what gems everyone else comes up with instead

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 25, 10:19pm

Post #7 of 15 (356 views)
Shortcut
It "Boggles" the mind! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

A fun challenge, gramma, thank you! Being a Boggle (the game) fancier, I thought I'd look for words of at least five letters in each phrase. Just a few, here, I've found lots more!

Bless me! What's going here?
Poor Bilbo, in a "boggle" as in the "gloaming" his "mansion" was robbed of its "essentials"!

We found that Gollum was gone
No "haggle", I'd "gauge" it "would" "astound" as they "found" the "whole" escape.

There are moon-letters here
And not just "three", but a "slather" of them. Would Thorin "entreat" Elrond to speak the "errant" words?

With the uncouth name of Shire
And where they "entertain" the "famous" "Watcher"!
The "nuances" when we "factor" in and "focus" on "facets" of the "weather" might "cause" a "storm".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26, 10:53am

Post #8 of 15 (317 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! Classic :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 26, 11:11am

Post #9 of 15 (317 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

You found a lot of other "uncouth" names in that one! Laugh

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26, 11:13am

Post #10 of 15 (317 views)
Shortcut
Sweeeeeeet! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26, 11:13am

Post #11 of 15 (319 views)
Shortcut
*bwhahaa!* Very Creative! [In reply to] Can't Post

These are GREAT! THANKS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 26, 11:14am

Post #12 of 15 (318 views)
Shortcut
I think I prefer [In reply to] Can't Post

the lemon otter over the metal heron. Laugh

You found some good long words in these!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26, 11:15am

Post #13 of 15 (319 views)
Shortcut
Well Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've got a great list going, there! I love this game :D Thanks for playing *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 26, 11:18am

Post #14 of 15 (318 views)
Shortcut
What's going on... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is a LOT of 3 and 4 letter words in these phrases (but I see you found boggle, also - very appropriate).

I know what you mean, the shorter words just tend to pop out at you when you start looking at the letters! Smile

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 26, 4:16pm

Post #15 of 15 (300 views)
Shortcut
"Awesome!" // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.