Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Do you know anyone not impressed by the EEs?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

2ndBreffest
Lorien

May 28 2019, 11:00pm

Post #26 of 55 (3916 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

to say that nearly half my posts reference dwarven flatulence is a bit of an exaggeration, however, in this particular discussion it is entirely relevant as it is but one example of why I was not as impressed with the EE as I had hoped I would be.

But as far as whether or not he in fact soiled himself during that scene, I suppose only John Rhys Davies could tell you for sure, but to my ears, I would say there very likely could have been a bit of a mess. You see, the way I interpret the scene is this; Gimli is obviously very drunk, and at the point where he starts to stand up, he's thinking, "uh oh, maybe I'd better make a bee-line for the....uhh...too late. oh well, back to the game." And of course he just laughs it off because that's just the sort of thing PJ's Gimli would do in that situation.

Cirashala
Valinor

May 29 2019, 4:22am

Post #27 of 55 (3891 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

or maybe it was an exaggerated move to point out that he was farting, and not just creaking the bench? I do think PJ wanted to make it clear that he was, in fact, flatulating, as a means to exaggerate just how drunk he really was.

Excessive? Maybe. But it's not like elves poop cupcakes and fart glitter, and that there were rest areas all along the Fellowship's route. Aragorn had to poop at some point, I have no doubt that Pippin occasionally picked his nose, the Three Hunters must have stopped for a pee break at least a couple times, and Gandalf might even snore sometimes. Arwen must have had periods, and sausage casings were undoubtedly the flushed-out entrails of the pig.

To me, seeing a semi-reserved dwarf who is rough around the edges and yes is used sometimes for comical effect, but at least attempts to be fairly respectful when ceremony requires it (he didn't fart in front of Galadriel, for example, nor did he do so at Aragorn's coronation, and the burp he made during Aragorn and Theoden's discussion appeared to be spontaneous and he tried to muffle it) lose so much inhibition that he slurs about skinny dipping with dwarf women and farts brazenly without a care in the world seems to me to be a theatrical device to illustrate just how slogged he was.

Was it a little excessive? Probably. PJ after all did have dwarves climb through a toilet to enter Bard's house (though it was a rather ingenius way, given the movie storyline, of getting them in there unseen, and I can't think of any other way Bard could have done it while being spied on from every other angle).

But does it serve a purpose for the scene? Yeah, it does.

Though I for one wouldn't have minded seeing Legolas lose that scene lol- can you imagine? Gimli only beat him at one challenge- the kill count at Helm's Deep. He won the rest. Elves are used to wine- very, very potent wine, but wine nonetheless.

Now, I don't drink, but I have a feeling that the Rohirrim's brew may well have been the equivalent of moonshine- at least, the one used in the challenge (it clearly smelled awful, at least to Legolas's elf nose). And those who drink may feel free to correct me, but my understanding is that moonshine is FAR harder liquor than wine is, and depending on how it's brewed could very well be nearly pure alcohol.

Somehow, I do have to wonder if Legolas would have truly been able to withstand the potency of pure moonshine. As to who would have gotten drunk first, well...elves are hardy, but Aule made them dwarves tough as nails. Even Sauron held no sway over them, so...

The real question would be- would Legolas pass out and snore like his Mirkwood servants, or run around the party with a lampshade on his head? Wink

But back to my original point- bodily functions happen in ME. We just don't usually see them because a) no one wants to see Aragorn poop in the woods, and b) the players involved are too respectful to go around propelled by methane...unless they're completely, totally stone-cold drunk.

And I think that was the point in that scene.

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

(This post was edited by Cirashala on May 29 2019, 4:28am)

squire
Half-elven

May 29 2019, 4:30am

Post #28 of 55 (3893 views)
Shortcut
Guys and gals [kaf, choke, gag] [In reply to] Can't Post

Could this thread get more distasteful?

Can't we call it a draw and go back to balrog wings, Denethor-whacking, Sauron-searchlighting, and those darn missing horses?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Cirashala
Valinor

May 29 2019, 4:51am

Post #29 of 55 (3881 views)
Shortcut
Sure :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm cool with it Smile I was just expressing a bit of frustration at the (off)topic in question being brought up very, very frequently in unrelated or semi-unrelated threads, but I'm all good now.
Now about those wings...Angelic

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Chen G.
Gondor

May 29 2019, 12:54pm

Post #30 of 55 (3870 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind the physical comedy [In reply to] Can't Post

For the most part, its set in the beginning of the film - both in Return of the King and An Unexpected Journey, and then the films gradually become more serious. It gives them a shape.

Cirashala
Valinor

May 29 2019, 5:41pm

Post #31 of 55 (3837 views)
Shortcut
Excellent point [In reply to] Can't Post

Things are incredibly dire in ME at the time, and they're just trying to blow off some steam before the you-know-what hits the fan. In context, it works, even if it's not everyone's cup of tea.

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

2ndBreffest
Lorien

May 29 2019, 11:28pm

Post #32 of 55 (3813 views)
Shortcut
heh nice one [In reply to] Can't Post

"blow off steam"..."you-know-what hits the fan" I see what you did there.

Cirashala
Valinor

May 30 2019, 12:21am

Post #33 of 55 (3804 views)
Shortcut
Sigh... [In reply to] Can't Post

purely unintentional, I can assure you (facepalm).

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

May 30 2019, 6:24am

Post #34 of 55 (3786 views)
Shortcut
I OFFICIALLY CHALLENGE [In reply to] Can't Post

anyone in the WORLD to show that the Hobbit movies are OBJECTIVELY bad.

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

May 30 2019, 6:28am

Post #35 of 55 (3775 views)
Shortcut
I read them back in 2007... [In reply to] Can't Post

And although I don't actually agree with them, I will say most of the essays are very well-written. Interestingly, the author seems to have vanished from the Internet. Crazy

2ndBreffest
Lorien

May 31 2019, 2:11pm

Post #36 of 55 (3743 views)
Shortcut

unintentional or no, it sure gave me a chuckle.

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

May 31 2019, 2:43pm

Post #37 of 55 (3743 views)
Shortcut
Your mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

is sure as dirty as the movies you claim to despise. Cool

Obviously, this is just a joke.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

May 31 2019, 2:52pm

Post #38 of 55 (3741 views)
Shortcut

I think it may be the influence of PJ rubbing off on me. Now whenever I watch a movie and there's a second or two of silence...I begin to think that if this movie were directed by Peter Jackson, there's a 45% probability that I would be listening to a fart right now.

Chen G.
Gondor

May 31 2019, 4:05pm

Post #39 of 55 (3725 views)
Shortcut
I don’t recall farts [In reply to] Can't Post

In King Kong.

Or in Heavenly Creatures; or The Lovely Bones.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

May 31 2019, 7:26pm

Post #40 of 55 (3707 views)
Shortcut
that is odd... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder why he would feel toilet humor would fit better in an adaptation of Tolkien and not in a remake of King Kong? I would think a movie with a giant gorilla running wild through new york city would lend itself much more easily to fart jokes.

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Jun 16 2019, 6:50am

Post #41 of 55 (3325 views)
Shortcut
To be honest... [In reply to] Can't Post

Although he is sometimes polite, this dude seems to make stuff up in order to justify his dislike for these movies-- that is, he will speak ill of them no matter the cost (even at the expense of lying).

Chen G.
Gondor

Jun 16 2019, 7:23am

Post #42 of 55 (3317 views)
Shortcut
You don't say? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Oh well, as long as the discussion is even vaugly amicable I'm up for it.

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 16 2019, 11:36am

Post #43 of 55 (3304 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

respectfully, maybe, but I try not to speak ill of other Torn members simply for having an opinion, even if I do not agree with it.

As to lying, it was a sound effect and can be interpreted individually as one will. No, we don't have any proof for it, or against it for that matter, so while I wouldn't pass it off as FACT, it can still be passed off as OPINION based on the sound effect used. I was calling him out on passing it off as fact when it was simply his opinion.

But though I do not agree with his INTERPRETATION of the scene/sound effect, I respect his right on here to have his opinion of the films. I don't like everything about the films either, though I generally appreciate them as a whole. But I know that others greatly dislike them, and others love every last bit of them, and all opinions are welcome on here (even if it drives some of us nuts sometimes Wink).

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

Noria
Gondor

Jun 16 2019, 3:00pm

Post #44 of 55 (3278 views)
Shortcut
Isn’t this almost approaching obsession? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think it may be the influence of PJ rubbing off on me. Now whenever I watch a movie and there's a second or two of silence...I begin to think that if this movie were directed by Peter Jackson, there's a 45% probability that I would be listening to a fart right now.

Having watched the RotK drinking game scene again, it doesn’t look to me like Gimli is soiling himself. It’s just one of PJ’s burp/farts to my eyes. But then I am not looking for things to criticize in these movies, nor do I spend a lot of time thinking about bodily functions.

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Jun 16 2019, 5:42pm

Post #45 of 55 (3268 views)
Shortcut
I understand you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to be clear, the so-called 'fart' is the sound effect at around 2:40 in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt1joflBsBo

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 17 2019, 4:27am

Post #46 of 55 (3210 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

that is the infamous one that 2ndBreffest references very, very frequently.

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Jun 22 2019, 9:01am

Post #47 of 55 (1846 views)
Shortcut
To me... [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds more like he is burping rather than farting.

Chen G.
Gondor

Jun 22 2019, 3:38pm

Post #48 of 55 (1811 views)
Shortcut
I always thought [In reply to] Can't Post

it was the chair creaking underneath him. Rewatching the film (and completing a marathon spanning two weeks) yesterday, I do think its a fart.

Doesn't bother me. One of the reasons the film works so well, is that it starts lighter than it ends: there's a sense of escalation.

I don't think films - regardless of subject matter - should be "high-minded" throughout. At some point, that need to constantly be "classy" becomes a buffer between the audience and the contents of the film. You need variation in every parameter of your film.

Even Sir David Lean got it, when he put a camel being poked in the arse for a joke in Lawrence of Arabia or inserted a crude bosum joke into A Passage to India. Which is to say nothing of Sir Alfred Hitchcock's sense of humour. And what about Braveheart's erection jokes? Oh, and I guess The Godfather is bad now, because Don Corleone puts orange peel in his mouth and, goofing off with his grandson, pretends to be a monster. And lets not forget Jaws!

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Jun 22 2019, 3:52pm)

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Jun 23 2019, 2:07am

Post #49 of 55 (1779 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

But still, he doesn't "soil himself".

Solicitr
Gondor

Jun 23 2019, 5:11am

Post #50 of 55 (1760 views)
Shortcut
It [In reply to] Can't Post

really doesn't matter to me whether it's a fart or something else- the entire scene is stupid and degrading, and serves only as part of the process of turning Legolas into Superman while reducing Gimli to slapstick comic relief. One more example of PJ's juvenile impulses getting the better of him.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.