Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Come on in and join us for Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Immortal

Jun 16, 1:41pm

Post #51 of 63 (1366 views)
Shortcut
brunch with my nearly-95-year-old dad [In reply to] Can't Post

We're watching him decline. Six months ago he could walk three miles on the flat (with a rest); now he toddles around the block with a walker and is done for the day. Today he walked right past me and didn't see me, and he's never certain what day it is. But if you ask him about the past it's all there and he'll tell stories forever.

I'm just back from a most productive writing retreat out at the beach. Think I'll have a mimosa.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 16, 3:00pm

Post #52 of 63 (1358 views)
Shortcut
I am in awe. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wrote two stories (kinda novels) that ended up being about 100,000 words (2 NaNo s) but I have no idea how to start the editing process. One of the stories was rewritten (ala Tolkein) from the beginning but only because I lost most of it to a massive computer failure and corrupted the thumb drive backup too.

Do you have a process that you follow for writing and then editing?

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 16, 6:37pm

Post #53 of 63 (1342 views)
Shortcut
The only guy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hm...going with work casual might be good; how were those who interviewed you dressed? Slacks or jeans?

That was a well-attended farewell party! Did they "roast" you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 16, 6:42pm

Post #54 of 63 (1342 views)
Shortcut
This is the hardest part [In reply to] Can't Post

of a parent's decline, watching both mind and body fade. Unsure It's as if the past comes more into focus for them, as the present slips away. Do you have his stories written down? I wish I'd taken more notes when my Dad would talk about the past.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 17, 12:19pm

Post #55 of 63 (1278 views)
Shortcut
Ahhhh... a quiet moment :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you're having this lull AND enjoying (? ;) a party in the meanwhile. Last and First days of jobs are always surreal. I get the jitter just thinking about it! But the clothing thing is a challenge, fersher. Even if there isn't anyone else around to compare what type of style is expected at this job, the "tone" of how they dress can still be considered by the how the ladies dress. Casual, professional *upchuck*, or a cross of the two. I really hope you can dress comfy in outfits that don't need a bank-loan to afford! I also hope this job gives you a good balance of challenge, satisfaction, and acceptance/appreciation of YOU! They're lucky to have you!

I had a chance to make more money if I wore noisy shoes (heels, etc.) and work as an administrative secretary like I did before (City Police & Fire Chiefs)... but I opted for lower pay and denim, walking laceups, easy-going. For me, the extra pay would have gone to therapy and booze to tolerate the work environment ; )

GOOD LUCK!!!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 17, 12:28pm

Post #56 of 63 (1277 views)
Shortcut
*warm hug* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh man.... I'm so sorry. It's hard to see him decline in physical strength; but the failing awareness is so scary. Do you think he realizes what's going on? I'm glad you were able to spend some time with him and that he enjoyed it himself.

So great you were able to have that writing retreat to renew youself. *another hug* Hang in there!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 17, 12:49pm

Post #57 of 63 (1278 views)
Shortcut
Creepy is fun! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh geez... there ARE a lot of weird coincidences with that series! *hears Twilight Zone music* It makes this read all the more compelling!

*squeeeeeeee* on dressing for the Ren Fest! *high five* That will make is so much more fun! AWESOME! I hope the weather is perfect for the festival!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18, 3:59am

Post #58 of 63 (1268 views)
Shortcut
Well, *I'm* in awe [In reply to] Can't Post

of anyone who succeeds at NaNo! I'm such a slow writer that the time it takes me to produce 100,000 words needs to be measured in years, not months.

Yes, I do have a process, one that works for me, but there's a huge range of processes among writers. I can't/won't begin a novel without a plot outline, unlike people who are able and happy to let the whole plot unfold as they write. My outline does very much evolve as I go, though, especially with characters who are new to me. The outline generally begins life as a beginning and an end, some sense of the shape of the book, and a handful of scenes that I can envisage in fine detail down to many of the actual sentences. As I go, I plan the following chapters in more detail, and the next few scenes in fine detail.

I write from beginning to end, making a note as necessary when a later section requires a change to something earlier. Some people are happier jumping forward and back as they go, especially if they get stuck.

Again, writers vary a lot in how many drafts they produce - I've heard of some who aim for a first draft that needs only minor polishing to be ready to go. That's not me :).

An outline of my editing process (this does vary a bit from book to book):
- My first draft is full of notes to myself, ranging from details I need to check through to whole sections I know need to be gutted - sometimes because I've been writing my way into a character, or trying something different ways. To get to a second draft I make those changes, a rippling process that of course creates other necessary changes as I go through the manuscript.
- I now have a clean draft (2nd) that I can send to beta readers.
- I process the feedback from said betas (3rd draft)
- A further read-through for things like rhythm, sentence length, repetitions, and any clumsy phrasing that's survived earlier editing. (4th draft)

That's leaving out the part of the process involving proof-reading and an external editor.

Perhaps the single most useful technique for me is to read the manuscript aloud; ideally to an interested (or at least tolerant) audience.

That turned out longer than I expected. As do my novels :)

Don't give up! Two 100,000 novels is a great achievement. Maybe you could find a supportive writing group for some mutual help and encouragement over the next stage.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Annael
Immortal

Jun 18, 4:38pm

Post #59 of 63 (798 views)
Shortcut
my first book took 9 years, start to finish [In reply to] Can't Post

This second one is at 30K words after 9 months of writing, but since I'm pulling in a lot of stuff from my blog, some parts of it were first written 7 years ago!

I'm a relentless re-editor. The problem with a nonfiction book that is, basically, my ideas about a topic (I'm an essayist, essentially) is that I keep having new insights or changing my mind. That slows the process down. I have to keep reminding myself that "a poem is never finished, only abandoned."

I do think it's necessary to put a freshly written piece aside for a while, so you can re-read with new eyes. I also have a beta reader I trust who tells me what I need to pay more attention to or delete or whatever. And then I hire an editor, because no one can edit their own work. My first book was looked at by three separate editors before it was published (two I didn't have to pay for, as they worked for the publisher). And I took once last look-through . . . and found some errors!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18, 9:00pm

Post #60 of 63 (550 views)
Shortcut
Setting aside a freshly written piece [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I feel that's necessary, too, tempting as it is to leap straight back in. Even a week makes a big difference, allowing the brain to change mode.

A trusted beta reader is a real gem!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 19, 12:11am

Post #61 of 63 (455 views)
Shortcut
Ah HA! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I've been doing all these years! "Setting aside a freshly written piece." Yes... That's it. That's what I've been doing!

Of course now those pieces are a bit stale. But dunk them in milk or coffee and they'll be good as new!

I do miss it. It was fun writing with my middle school writing group during NaNo. They bugged me to no end if I missed my word count for the week. And I cheered like crazy when they made their word count and "won" NaNo! There are budding writers out there (my daughter among them) who started in our little writing club. Who knows? They may publish before I do! Laugh

Thank you for your insights, Kimi and Annael. Someday I will get that far. First to finish this degree and get a paying job that doesn't involve standing on my feet for 12 hours without a break. Then, go back to writing.

Oh, and win the lottery. Laugh

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

cats16
Valinor

Jun 22, 5:35pm

Post #62 of 63 (134 views)
Shortcut
Fairly relaxed [In reply to] Can't Post

Thankfully most of the bosses were out of the office for a few days this week. Jeans appear to be acceptable.

No roasting! It was at a tiki part that gets pretty loud. Cool

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Jun 22, 5:37pm

Post #63 of 63 (134 views)
Shortcut
It was nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Survived week 1 without a fashion faux-pas. Going to buy some more (cheaper) clothes this weekend.

Thanks!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.