Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Manga and anime

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Jun 14, 4:51pm

Post #1 of 13 (573 views)
Shortcut
Manga and anime Can't Post

I am 24 years old and I am currently reading two of my favorite anime series as a child (I am reffering to the manga, obviously), Rurouni Kenshin and Dragon Ball (both the original and Z).

Does that make me immature or less of an adult? What do you think?

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Jun 14, 7:36pm

Post #2 of 13 (531 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

no, of course not.

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Jun 14, 8:00pm

Post #3 of 13 (524 views)
Shortcut
Nah... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's pleasant to revisit old favourites, whatever they are! Graphically I think those genres are very stylish, although I'm not a fan. I enjoy revisiting old cartoon strips - Calvin and Hobbes, Footrot Flats, B.C., Garfield, Hagar the Horrible, the Wizard of Id etc. Not forgetting the all-powerful and ever-so-clever Asterix the Gaul! Some of those really show my age, I have to say, but in my opinion good stuff lasts. Have fun!

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jun 14, 8:22pm

Post #4 of 13 (520 views)
Shortcut
48 years old woman [In reply to] Can't Post

and still reading/watching, although my tastes differ a bit from yours, so I vote no. I am a big fan of the very, very dark Rurouni Kenshin prequel OVA (a/k/a Samurai X) and like Kenshin's sister series Peacemaker Kurogane, which is basically the same story from the Shinsengumi point of view.
Twelve Kingdoms, Mushishi, Princess Jellyfish, The Girl who Leapt through Time and Kids on the Slope are some of the anime I rewatch most often. I like others, but have to be in the right mood for them so they aren't in quite as heavy rotation.
I read some manga too, though not as often as I pull out anime. My all-time favorite manga is Fruits Basket. I do watch the anime sometimes too, but it in no way compares to the manga, as it only covers the first third of the story and had to put together an ending which wasn't consistent with how the manga played out.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 14, 8:39pm

Post #5 of 13 (520 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

as I fully intend to be an 80-year-old woman seeing the latest fantasy movie in the theatre, making the young'uns around me uncomfortable, I fully support your life choices in this matter.

Cool

But seriously, if you enjoy it, go for it. Heck, I still reread the YA Pern books that I loved as a 14-year-old.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 14, 9:29pm

Post #6 of 13 (514 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely not! [In reply to] Can't Post

And don't you DARE let anyone let you feel like you are! I'm 67 and still like to watch old Popeye the Sailor cartoons, Looney Tunes, and all of those things that were important to making me... ME! :D I challenge anyone that thinks you can't enjoy those things to tell me what makes them feel happy and connected. *looks around room* If you could see the statues, toys and movies I have that are far from "grown up* you'd know I cherish the things that make me happy :)

ENJOY and never lose that happy stuff!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 15, 1:51pm

Post #7 of 13 (494 views)
Shortcut
Of course not! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been reading comics and watching animation for the vast majority of my 58 (soon to be 59) years. You know how that affected me? Because of comics, I had a larger vocabulary in elementary school than any of my peers.

I'm still enjoying anime and (some) manga today, though I'm a bit old-school; my favorite current manga is Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card and I've been eyeing the Urusai Yatsura omnibus collections. What I'd really like are the collections of the Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and 2022 anime.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 15, 2:00pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 15, 3:49pm

Post #8 of 13 (485 views)
Shortcut
*high five* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll buy the popcorn! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 15, 8:27pm

Post #9 of 13 (472 views)
Shortcut
Deal! :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Annael
Immortal

Jun 16, 1:34pm

Post #10 of 13 (456 views)
Shortcut
unrelated [In reply to] Can't Post

to me, being an adult means you shoulder responsibility well: hold down a job, pay your bills, keep your promises, take care of those things that are in your care. What you do for fun has no bearing.

I have a 42-year-old nephew who still lives at home, doesn't work, and doesn't pay for a thing. He doesn't read comic books. I'm 67, I've been supporting myself since I was 18, and I love fantasy.

But I will add this: one way you'll know you're an adult is that you won't worry about whether you are or not anymore.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Jun 23, 11:27am

Post #11 of 13 (91 views)
Shortcut
Great reply. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pardon to ask, though, but did your nephew ever worked on his life?

Annael
Immortal

Jun 24, 2:28pm

Post #12 of 13 (74 views)
Shortcut
it's a bit of a sad story [In reply to] Can't Post

He had his own business retrofitting Audis with fancy add-ons; he'd inherited money which he used to start it, but he got ripped off by his partners and lost the business. Then he worked as an auto mechanic for several years, which paid well, and he had his own apartment and everything, But about 8 years ago he decided that his real dream was to be an airplane pilot, so he quit his job, moved back home, and has been working towards a B.S. in Aviation Sciences and trying to get his commercial pilot's license. We've quit asking why he hasn't completed either of those goals; there always seems to be something that's gone wrong - a class that he still has to take which isn't offered for another year, bad weather that hasn't let him fly for a month, etc. Plus he's realizing it doesn't pay that well; a friend of his who is a pilot has taken on a second job to pay the bills. Now his flight instructor says she's done teaching him. He's actually quite depressed and isn't sleeping well.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Jul 8, 2:46pm

Post #13 of 13 (8 views)
Shortcut
That's really sad to hear. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope he gets better. :/

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.