Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
June 9: What have you been watching lately?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Jun 20, 6:00pm

Post #26 of 33 (88 views)
Shortcut
Tales of the City (2019) [In reply to] Can't Post

The reboot of the 1993 original series, this time around starring Ellen Page, along with series regulars Laura Linney, Paul Gross, and of course Olympia Dukakis as Anna Madrigal herself. Really beautiful stuff: the first part of the show was promising, the middle kind of slagged, and the last three episodes were nearly perfect. The one problem I had was that the show was trying to balance two plots, one about family drama, and the other a sort of crime thriller/mystery story, and even though these two plots literally operate out of the same house, the two have virtually no connection. So there's this sort of lopsided thing going on, where both plots are happening simultaneously but separate - that was pretty awkward. The other problematic element was Ellen Page, who is a great actress but just felt really low-energy here, for some reason.
The ending, though: I was up watching the final episode at 1 o'-clock in the morning sobbing. And I've never even watched the original series! Has anybody here seen either the original or this reboot?

"We are Kree"

Annael
Immortal

Jun 20, 10:38pm

Post #27 of 33 (87 views)
Shortcut
I saw that [In reply to] Can't Post

not great, but not terrible. I liked the French detective.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 21, 3:32pm

Post #28 of 33 (82 views)
Shortcut
Ellen Page [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually find her low-energy in the 2 or 3 things I've seen her in, and also rather monotone in her emotions. I keep thinking she must have done a great job in something to keep getting acting jobs.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Jun 22, 12:15am

Post #29 of 33 (73 views)
Shortcut
I really enjoyed her performance in Umbrella Academy [In reply to] Can't Post

But even there, she is definitely a very...subdued actress. She had occasional moments in Tales of the City where she was getting a little more energetic, especially in the few scenes where she reconnected with her mother and they would team up and go off and do something crazy - and then there would just be interminable scenes of her being very quiet, and very monotone, and it was really kind of difficult to get at all invested in her character.

"We are Kree"

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Jun 22, 12:16am

Post #30 of 33 (73 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

But I definitely did not expect Murder Mystery to have the record-breaking opening that it did - it had the most-viewed opening for a Netflix original film ever, with 30.8 million viewers in three days.

"We are Kree"

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Jun 25, 4:05am

Post #31 of 33 (55 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed this movie also.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Jun 25, 4:13am

Post #32 of 33 (56 views)
Shortcut
Curfew with an appearance by Sean Bean [In reply to] Can't Post

Who (it canít possibly be considered a spoiler as he does it so often) dies.

Rather bizarre mix of Death Race and zombies. Not to be taken at all seriously.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 25, 1:37pm

Post #33 of 33 (52 views)
Shortcut
That should almost be on movie posters [In reply to] Can't Post

Casablanca: The Remake
Starring Channing Tatum and Emma Watson
With Sean Bean, who dies near the end

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.