Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Dragons made real: Who did it best?
Poll: Dragons made real: Who did it best?
The Hobbit
Game of Thrones
Reign of Fire
Dragonheart
Beowulf
Other
View Results (24 votes)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 2, 2:42am

Post #1 of 13 (1865 views)
Shortcut
Dragons made real: Who did it best? Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 2, 4:29am

Post #2 of 13 (1808 views)
Shortcut
Smaug is the benchmark for all other dragons. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 2, 4:46am

Post #3 of 13 (1816 views)
Shortcut
Vermithrax Pejorative [In reply to] Can't Post

It's also the best dragon name ever.

Dragonslayer (1981)

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Jun 2, 5:38am

Post #4 of 13 (1799 views)
Shortcut
Harry Potter’s dragon held captive on Gringot’s// [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 2, 2:23pm

Post #5 of 13 (1761 views)
Shortcut
GoT [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot went into Smaug, but I never thought he was anything besides well-done cgi. The GoT dragons were on screen longer and seemed to have more "small-p personality," plus I thought they visually fit into the world better. It probably helped that they were good dragons, and I was sad when some got killed.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 2, 4:32pm

Post #6 of 13 (1745 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

…if we are talking about dragons coming off as living, breathing creatures then I'll take the GoT critters over Smaug (who is more of a personality thanks to motion capture and Benedict Cumberbatch's voice-work).

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 2, 8:57pm

Post #7 of 13 (1720 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Weta's achievements with Smaug set a high bar, especially with the way he exudes menace. But I think GoT goes a couple of steps further with Drogon et al; they have a weight to them, a visceralness (if that's a word), that's more tangible.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jun 2, 9:52pm)

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Jun 3, 4:53pm

Post #8 of 13 (1639 views)
Shortcut
hobbit, but only by dint of not having seen any of the other works in question [In reply to] Can't Post

the voyage of the dawn treader did a fairly good job with the eustace-dragon but.....their more reality based creatures (reepicheep and aslan come to mind) felt, well, more realistic.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Jun 3, 8:32pm

Post #9 of 13 (1625 views)
Shortcut
yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

very impressive...and scary...especially for 1981 effects. PJ's Smaug just felt like any other lifeless digital effect we've all just been forced to accept these days.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 3, 8:52pm

Post #10 of 13 (1613 views)
Shortcut
Practical effects make a difference. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Omnigeek
Lorien

Jul 4, 5:30pm

Post #11 of 13 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Dragonslayer or Dragonheart [In reply to] Can't Post

In terms of making the dragons come to life like real creatures, I’d say Dragonslayer or Dragonheart. Dragonslayer in particular showed a dragon in its lair and with all the limitations and peculiarities of a real living creature.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Jul 6, 1:14pm

Post #12 of 13 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

I do love the Game of Thrones dragons too, but Smaug has much more of a personality, and Cumberbatch's performance is so convincing. As for which dragons are more menacing, more dangerous - got to be the GOT dragons in that case, because Peter Jackson put Smaug into way too many positions where he looked very dumb and harmless *the fight-scene in Erebor*

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Aug 17, 3:34pm

Post #13 of 13 (1047 views)
Shortcut
HTTYD...seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah yeah it's a "cartoon" but the artists researched their subject matter thoroughly; landscapes, vikings, animals... then ran off into yeehah land with it. I use HTTYD regularly in art classes as an example of doing your research in the real world, then interpreting it... but you have to understand the real thing first!

As for the others... Sure, you can conjure up a realistic dinosaur or scaly firebreathing dinosaur with or without wings... and they were all pretty darn good...

but populate and entire world with diverse creatures that still "look like" dragons as we imagine them, and keep doing it for years, three films and various series.

Make us fly and cry and shout for joy and hover on the edge of our seats as One More Villain tries to destroy them.

Remind us of there Best Dog/BlackCat/Horse we ever had a friendship with. Or the time we flew in a small plane, or underwater. Remind us WHY we form relationships, not only with each other but with other living beings.

Um, yeah, and make us buy all the toys... because...

How To Train Your Dragon is the best set of dragons, ever.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.