Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - June 1
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 25, 1:45pm

Post #51 of 61 (567 views)
Shortcut
I love it how proud Butterbur is [In reply to] Can't Post

that they have hobbity rooms. (At the Sign of the Prancing Pony) :D

...we've got a room or two in the north wing that were made special for hobbits, when this place was built. On the ground floor as they usually prefer; round windows and all as they like it. I hope you'll be comfortable.

He doesn't say anything about being low ceilings; so I'm assuming the height of the rooms are like the rest of the Inn, but adding round windows and keeping them low to the ground makes them hobbity enough ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

cats16
Valinor

Jun 26, 5:59am

Post #52 of 61 (553 views)
Shortcut
A great little character [In reply to] Can't Post

Whom, I will note, does not get the love he deserves!

By the way, finished my read-through about a week and a half ago! I still have the Appendices, but I'll slowly go through that as I can.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26, 10:55am

Post #53 of 61 (548 views)
Shortcut
Bang! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have SO beat me! I got waylaid on the reading... and I'm very bummed. *high five* I'm homesick for it!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26, 10:57am

Post #54 of 61 (549 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 26, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Frodo announces his plans to leave Hobbiton
(not from the appendices)

..."One summer's evening an astonishing piece of news reached the Ivy Bush and Green Dragon. Giants and other portents on the borders of the Shire were forgotten for more important matters: Mr. Frodo was selling Bag End, indeed he had already sold it—to the Sackville-Bagginses!
...'For a nice bit, too,' said some. 'At a bargain price,' said others, 'and that's more likely when Mistress Lobelia's the buyer….'
...…Just why Mr. Frodo was selling his beautiful hole was even more debatable than the price. A few held the theory—supported by the nods and hints of Mr. Baggins himself—that Frodo's money was running out: he was going to leave Hobbiton and live in a quiet way on the proceeds of the sale down in Buckland among his Brandybuck relations. 'As far from the Sackville-Bagginses as may be,' some added."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 26, 4:19pm

Post #55 of 61 (548 views)
Shortcut
I like to think that The Prancing Pony's hobbit ceilings were so low [In reply to] Can't Post

that whoever stabbed the empty beds at nights had many a bump on their heads as some karmic payback. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26, 8:18pm

Post #56 of 61 (533 views)
Shortcut
*snort... bwahahaha* [In reply to] Can't Post

What an image I just had of the Nazgul's style cramped to pieces! Drama Downer!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27, 10:23am

Post #57 of 61 (487 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 27, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo has a shadow in Rivendell.
(not from the appendices-no text-drabble)
...Getting familiar with Elrond’s House, Bilbo noticed things missed before. While he knew he was the first hobbit to visit, he didn’t draw much attention being known by everybody… save one. He felt he was being watched; though when he quickly turned to look, there was nothing but a rustle of bushes or crunching of stones on the path. Finally, one day he heard a woman’s soft voice behind the hedge as she led a young boy away. “Come, Estel. I know you’re curious about our new friend; but you musn’t intrude. Perhaps Lord Elrond will introduce you one day.”

June 27, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The time has come for Gandalf to leave.
(not from the appendices)
..."Then one evening, at the end of June, soon after Frodo's plan had been finally arranged, he suddenly announced that he was going off again next morning. 'Only for a short while, I hope... ...But I am going down beyond the southern borders to get some news, if I can. I have been idle longer than I should.'
...He spoke lightly, but it seemed to Frodo that he looked rather worried. 'Has anything happened...?'
...'...Well no; but I have heard something that has made me anxious and needs looking into. If I think it necessary after all for you to get off at once, I shall come back immediately, or at least send word. In the meanwhile stick to your plan; but be more careful than ever, especially of the Ring. Let me impress on you once more: don't use it!''"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 28, 11:19am

Post #58 of 61 (477 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 28, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Expect me when you see me.
(not from the appendices + no text -drabble)
..."He [Gandalf] went off at dawn. 'I may be back any day,' he said. 'At the very latest I shall come back for the farewell party. I think, after all, you may need my company on the Road.'
...At first Frodo was a good deal disturbed, and wondered often what Gandalf could have heard…"

June 28, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
A drabble:
...Soon after Gandalf left, Sam came to work in the gardens. Frodo joined him, tilling around the potatoes and enjoying the summer's routine. They worked silently until Sam asked about Gandalf.
..."He left early this morning," said Frodo. Sam continued working deep in thought.
..."What d'you suppose he heard that made him go off all of a'sudden?" he asked. "I was thinking he'd be with us when…" he broke off, looking around before whispering, "…we're off into the wilds outside."
..."He said he'd be back by then, Sam. Don't worry," Frodo said reassuringly; but he couldn't shake his own concern.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 28, 1:46pm

Post #59 of 61 (464 views)
Shortcut
This marks the point (the disconcerting disappearance of Gandalf) [In reply to] Can't Post

where I think LOTR loses its light-hearted, The Hobbit tone, and ominous clouds start forming in the reader's mind, signaling that things are going to get more dour and the stakes will be higher. Which readies us for the sinister pursuit by the Black Riders all the way to Buckland. That first adventure had nothing in common with the humorous trolls who wanted to squash them all to jelly.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 28, 4:44pm

Post #60 of 61 (458 views)
Shortcut
So true! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can remember the first time I read this that I wasn't very concerned since I had no idea what was coming! But you're right... here's where it all starts to change.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 29, 12:40pm

Post #61 of 61 (431 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a Book Spoiler that tells more of the story of the white tree and of Gondor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Council of Elrond: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "'In the South the realm of Gondor long endured; and for a while its splendour grew, recalling somewhat of the might of Númenor, ere it fell. High towers... ...and strong places, and havens of many ships; and the winged crown of the Kings of Men was held in awe by folk of many tongues. Their chief city was Osgiliath, Citadel of the Stars, through the midst of which the River flowed. And Minas Ithil they built, Tower of the Rising Moon, eastward upon a shoulder of the Mountain of Shadow; and westward at the feet of the White Mountains Minas Anor they made, Tower of the Setting Sun. There in the courts of the King grew a white tree, from the seed of that tree which Isildur brought over the deep waters, and the seed of that tree before came from Eressëa, and before that out of the Uttermost West in the Day before days when the world was young.
... 'But in the wearing of the swift years of Middle-earth the line of Meneldil son of Anárion failed, and the Tree withered, and the blood of the Númenóreans became mingled with that of lesser men... ...the watch upon the walls of Mordor slept, and dark things crept back to Gorgoroth... ...evil things came forth, and they took Minas Ithil and abode in it, and they made it into a place of dread; and it is called Minas Morgul, the Tower of Sorcery. Then Minas Anor was named anew Minas Tirith, the Tower of Guard; and these two cities were even at war, but Osgiliath which lay between was deserted and in its ruins shadows walked.
... 'So it has been for many lives of men. But the Lords of Minas Tirith still fight on, defying our enemies, keeping the passage of the River from Argonath to the Sea.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.