And still they will shine on high

Their light will fill the air.

Amanda Longpre’
Inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien’s works

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

(This post was edited by Cirashala on May 20 2019, 9:22pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

May 20 2019, 9:24pm

Post #2 of 8 (16541 views)
Shortcut
I will (hopefully) make a video soon for the tune [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 2 2019, 9:07pm

Post #3 of 8 (15633 views)
Shortcut
I like it, thanks for sharing. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 3 2019, 7:17pm

Post #4 of 8 (15545 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was wondering if anyone was going to read it.

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 7 2019, 1:55am

Post #5 of 8 (15234 views)
Shortcut
Over 1300 views [In reply to] Can't Post

allowing for spiders, that’s still a lot of people who probably read it!

What I like about it is the stars seem sentient, and that they were placed rather than just came into being. Also the structure, though it offers glimpses of internal rhyme and rhythm, is uneven, as if a translation made from a difficult, perhaps ancient language.

So, yeah...

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 7 2019, 1:57am)

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 7 2019, 2:10am

Post #6 of 8 (15225 views)
Shortcut
Is the unevenness a good thing then? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure where the "so yeah..." was leading.

Admittedly, as an author (professionally and fan fiction)/poet/artist/musician I do really want people to like my work. But at the same time, I also want honest feedback as well so I can grow as a writer/poet/artist/musician as well Smile Doesn't come without the nerves preceding a review though Evil

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 7 2019, 6:01pm

Post #7 of 8 (15098 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I mostly read medieval works—usually translated from old languages—because I enjoy their quirkiness, and the challenge they present.

Poetry is often enjoyed for its form as well as its content; your poem satisfies (me) on multiple levels. However, if unevenness was not a deliberate choice when crafting your work, perhaps you could take another run at it. If one of the things that I like about it is lost (the unevenness), it may yet become more satisfying to others.

In the end though, it’s your voice that is important, that people will come to appreciate your work for, unless marketability is your only concern.

Keep working with words, writing, and especially reading, paying close attention to how words are knitted together, and for what effect.

Hope this helps. I do like it after all.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 7 2019, 6:03pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 8 2019, 3:21am

Post #8 of 8 (15023 views)
Shortcut
That does-thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the unevenness was deliberate in some aspect of it. I didn't want completely direct rhyming, lest I sound like Dr. Seuss Wink But a hint of cohesiveness is what I was striving for.

Will do-thank you for the tips! And no, marketability is not my only concern-far from it. I want to paint a picture, to tell a story in a way that draws the reader in. And in fiction (not poetry but prose) I want the reader to feel like they are there, a direct witness to the scene before them, but also that they are in the person's shoes, figuratively speaking. I want them to be able to feel what the character feels, to experience the journey alongside the character so that they can "experience" it too. Reading is very much escapism for me-an interlude into the vivid imagination of a mind longing to experience an adventure in another time or another world (hence why I love fantasy and historical fiction, and why I'm a historical fiction and fanfic author). To be able to experience something they would never be able to experience otherwise in this world.

If I've done that, then I've done my job as a writer/poet Smile When you said the stars felt sentient, I did a little happy dance because that's what I was going for Sly

Thank you for your constructive feedback Smile What good is any creator who is unwilling to learn and grow in their craft? Wink

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.