What do you MISS and DON'T MISS
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Advising Elf
Rohan

Mar 14 2007, 9:02pm

Post #26 of 39 (245 views)
Shortcut
I agree on the BOLD & NEW thing, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think if they color change thing was changed, this would be irrelevant.

I also suspect that the color change is a simpler thing to rectify (changing a color reference in oneline of code probably) than the Bold & New items.

Sorry, had to show off with the formatting there. I'm still getting used to all of the options that are available here without having to resort to HTML.

Yahoo!Group with good stuff to download:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOTRgoodies/

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 14 2007, 10:05pm

Post #27 of 39 (254 views)
Shortcut
Oh, but I didn't mean any of *that*... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you know, serious stuff.
I was only referring to Draupne's grand conspiracy theory: "It's the boards!" a.k.a. "They're out to get you!"
=)

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 14 2007, 10:11pm

Post #28 of 39 (236 views)
Shortcut
You're implying that I'm not serious? [In reply to] Can't Post

And talking about me behind my back straight in front of me?

*goes of to sulk in corner*

And seriously ;-), lots of the stuff that happened at the old boards where easiset explained by the boards being after us. Not quite sure they've stopped. They're just waiting for a good opportunity to creep up on us.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 14 2007, 10:36pm

Post #29 of 39 (234 views)
Shortcut
i haven't played with everything either [In reply to] Can't Post

have too much on my plate...I am trying to put together a discussion on Alan Lee coing up very fast. He has so much work I am overwhelmed by, kind of.

Art Gallery Revised, ORC pic of Hawaii friends, my drawings,
Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 14 2007, 11:19pm

Post #30 of 39 (232 views)
Shortcut
Showoff! [In reply to] Can't Post

;-)

Too bad the tools aren't available to everyone!

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 15 2007, 3:42am

Post #31 of 39 (239 views)
Shortcut
There's a very easy fix for some of your worst grumbles [In reply to] Can't Post

Daughter of Nienna: Can't use Advanced Editor — my biggest grumble of all. - No fields for pasting links or picture URLs

Why don't you dowload Internet Explorer or Firefox and use that browser as an open window/tab to toggle to whenever you visit TORn. It would simply act as another open tab; you can still have your favorite browser open for all the other sites you wish to visit, and yet you'd have Advanced Editor available (among other things), which would also solve your "fields for pictures and/or links" problem.

It would be the best of both worlds. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 15 2007, 4:03am

Post #32 of 39 (233 views)
Shortcut
IE is not an option for Mac users [In reply to] Can't Post

Microsoft no longer maintains or updates the Mac version, and the last one is way out of date — even the old TORn boards didn't work well on it. That's why I switched to Safari in the first place.

Anyway, no one should have to acquire install a second Web browser just to use one particular site. Any well-designed site should work with all browsers, and Safari is hardly an obscure or outdated one. There's just no excuse for a site not to be compatible with it; it's a slap in the face to Mac users.

Anyway, only a couple of my complaints would be fixed by using a different browser (the ones related to not having access to Advanced Editor).

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 16 2007, 3:21am

Post #33 of 39 (223 views)
Shortcut
One word for Mac users: Firefox [In reply to] Can't Post

But, of course you don't *have* to use IE. Firefox caters more (with respect to updates, etc.) to the Mac crowd and is very popular among Mac users. Smile

Safari is hardly an obscure or outdated ...browser - (my addition)

I'm not a Mac owner, but from everything I hear about Safari it's a great browser program. Still, the fact remains that even the most optimistic estimates put Safari use at only 2% to 5% of all internet browser use. If not obscure, it's certainly not the most popular browser by a long shot, even among Mac owners.

Any well-designed site should work with all browsers

All? In a perfect world, perhaps, but then there's that nasty law of diminishing returns. If you can accomodate 90% - 95% of all web browser users with an investment of $x, do you spend more to accomodate another 5%? And, if you do, will the satisfaction level equal 100%? Doubtful.

In any case, the suggestion was just that, and was meant as a reply to DoN's "primary" concerns as an alternative if she chooses to give it a try. It *is* extremely easy to download and have another browser open, but if somone chooses not to do so, then some of the features of this particular site that were designed 95% of the other people won't be available to them. I'm afraid there's no getting around that.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 16 2007, 5:14am

Post #34 of 39 (231 views)
Shortcut
I've compared the features, [In reply to] Can't Post

and Safari is best for my needs. (MacWorld ran an article giving detailed comparisons of the features of all current browsers for Mac.) Safari is a great browser, and I don't think it is going away. Why should I have to switch? Again, it's just not acceptable for Web sites to work only for certain browsers.

Moriel
The Shire

Mar 16 2007, 4:01pm

Post #35 of 39 (210 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Microsoft no longer maintains or updates the Mac version, and the last one is way out of date — even the old TORn boards didn't work well on it. That's why I switched to Safari in the first place.

Anyway, no one should have to acquire install a second Web browser just to use one particular site. Any well-designed site should work with all browsers, and Safari is hardly an obscure or outdated one. There's just no excuse for a site not to be compatible with it; it's a slap in the face to Mac users.

Anyway, only a couple of my complaints would be fixed by using a different browser (the ones related to not having access to Advanced Editor).

I completely agree! The whole point of HTML and the Web is that it should work no matter what computer you are using. Web sites that break standards are simply the result of laziness. When I have built sites in the past, I have done my development with multiple browsers running at once so that I could make sure that what I was creating would work in all of them.

And for the record, although I use Firefox at work (it's a Windows machine. Blech.) I use Konqueror at home. it is the browser that comes with the KDE environment of Linux systems, and a modified version of it's rendering engine is what Apple uses in Safari, so I really do understand where you are coming from.

Moriel - the Daughter of the Dark
Serving your wiseacre needs since the blooming of the Trees.

Alnilam
Rivendell

Mar 17 2007, 1:06am

Post #36 of 39 (222 views)
Shortcut
You don't have to switch. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless there is something on Macs that only lets you have one browser installed at a time. I don't know, I've never had one.

I usually use Firefox, but there are some pages where it won't work properly so I have to use IE for those. (For some reason Yahoo!Games thinks I'm on a Mac or a Linux computer when I try some of their games.)

Having fiddled a bit with designing webpages, I know it's a pain when a certain browser doesn't want to do what you are telling it to. Last time, I had the same page show up differently on Firefox, IE, Opera and Netscape. It was very annoying, especially since I was trying to go by the book and follow standards.

So I'm wondering exactly why the page won't show up on Safari the way it does on the other browsers? What do the browsers that have problems have in common? What do the ones that DO work have in common? That might help figure out the root of the problem.

Alnilam's Realm
From the Old TORN Boards: Top 5 Browsers/OSs:
1. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (1568)
2. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (890)
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (464)
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98 (175)
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (136)

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2007, 4:06am

Post #37 of 39 (209 views)
Shortcut
It does show the same, I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

My complaints about the appearance of posts on TORn are not browser-specific. The problem in Safari is that the Advanced Editor doesn't work.

Of course I can have more than one browser. But I shouldn't have to. TORn is the *only* site I would need another browser for; I have run into no limitations at all with Safari on any other site. I use my browser in my work and for other purposes frequently every day, and I almost never launch my browser just to visit TORn. If I had to switch to another browser for TORn, I'd probably just never bother.

Alnilam
Rivendell

Mar 17 2007, 3:18pm

Post #38 of 39 (217 views)
Shortcut
Do you go to any other forums? [In reply to] Can't Post

that have editors? Like PHPbb or stuff like that? Do they work? Or are the other sites you visit more regular sites?

Alnilam's Realm
From the Old TORN Boards: Top 5 Browsers/OSs:
1. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (1568)
2. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (890)
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (464)
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98 (175)
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (136)

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 18 2007, 6:36am

Post #39 of 39 (234 views)
Shortcut
I haven't run into [In reply to] Can't Post

any problems on other message-board sites; I've been able to use all the features that supposedly were available. They must not have been based on the same software as this one.

On the other hand, I've mostly given up on other boards because they don't offer the option of threaded views, and I can't stand wading through all the posts in flat views and searching for responses to specific conversations that I'm trying to follow. (life's too short for such a monumental waste of time). The option of threaded views is more important than any of the other "features," anyway. Actually, I really wish this board did not allow flat views, except as a "collate" feature, as on the old board. I can already see a difference in the way discussions are going, based on the fact that some people obviously are using flat mode.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.