Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What do you MISS and DON'T MISS

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 13 2007, 11:36pm

Views: 297
Shortcut
What do you MISS and DON'T MISS Can't Post

What do you MISS and DON'T MISS About old boards . . . WHAT'S COOL about new boards. What stories do you have to share about switching over. Any bumps and bruises? What habits do you have from old boards that are hard to break? What do you find humorous? What is hard to get used to. What happy delights and joys did you discover. What would you never give up and go back for? What are you ambivalent about?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
my answers…

OLD BOARD

WHAT I MISS…
- "(No Text - Link Inside)" … a whole lot!
- The link window at the bottom of the page (only a little)
- Tags: "nt" and spoiler tags (only a tiny bit)
- The collate function (works quite differently from the flat)
- new responses being on top in a thread

I say a sad and fond farewell to these wonderful features.

DON'T MISS...
- Tiny little window to type in (text box) (I really don't miss that)
- The old spell-check
- The single page thing where threads slip into oblivion
- How the "how many hours, days, weeks" menu didn't work
- How hard it was to open old wonderful threads
- How 'Mini-Biographies' didn't work
…sure there is a lot more, but it's all fading from memory already

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
NEW BOARD

DELIGHTS of NEW BOARD:
- I can set my TEXT BOX to ANY SIZE I want…yeah!
- EDIT FEATURE…super cool (and it never expires on Fan Art board)
- FAN ART board…yeah!
- Off Topic board
- TORn Moot board
- Multiple pages
- Avatar feature (and at last I can upload that from my computer)
- Private Messages
- A functioning spell-checker
- Jump To Forum menu/button on bottom of window
- Profile and Display features
- Who’s Online (especially in Hawaii in the evening)
- Expand / Collapse feature which I forget to use.
- Search Posts (haven't used it, but I am glad its there)
..and because of new boards, I was able to get help with uploading images to an image storage sight and post my art here.
…I am sure there is more, but it will come to me later.

Frustrations of new board:
- Can't use Advanced Editor on Safari or my brand new fancy Mac.
- Can NOT upload pictures from my computer
- Flat Mode: Can't figure out who's responding to who
- New responses falling to bottom of thread (they seem to get burried)
- Cant do "No Text - Link Inside"
- Can't delete my own posts after a certain time; I could on the old board, as long as no one answered.
- Not having an menu available of all the boards on the left to just click
- Annoying subject wrap to beginning of margin
…Can't think of anymore right now

HUMOROUS:
Spellchecker's suggestions for how to spell Tolkien to TORn posters: Talking, Telecommunication(s),

BUMPS and BRUISES:
(I have gotten so used to things now I can barely remember the things that gave me trouble at first.)
- My response on the opening day fiesta seemed to disappear.
- Navigating around seemed confusing at first
- I spent much of the first day trying to figure out how to get my images uploaded…only to discover after hours and hours of wasted effort that the upload functions on the bottom do not work for me. Then I had to figure out how to use Photo-Bucket at long last.

HABBITS THAT WON'T BREAK:
- I still scroll down to bottom when I want to reply, then have to scroll back to the top again…arrrgh!
…can't think of anymore right now

AMBIVALENT ABOUT:
- Getting Emails to Every Response…fills up my email very fast, one more thing for me to do. Yet I like that it keeps watch for me on people responding to my posts. Sometimes, I open up my email first before coming here, to see who has respond to what, and where, to check those out first. I find it helpful now that there are more boards to watch. I am leaving it on for now. I'll turn it off I it drives me too crazy.
- Watch Thread feature...became overwhelmed with emails, won't use it unless extremely important. I mostly post in RR anyway.

Haven't used:
- print thread
- next thread / previous thread
- Polantir Board: only read, not posted

If I think of more stuff I'll add later in this discussion.

What stories do you folks have to tell? Please feel free to rant, rave, shout for joy, let loose frustrations, laugh, scream, celebrate new board and/or lament the old board.

Art Gallery Revised, ORC pic of Hawaii friends, my drawings,
Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

(This post was edited by Daughter of Nienna on Mar 13 2007, 11:37pm)

Subject User Time
What do you MISS and DON'T MISS Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 13 2007, 11:36pm
    Well.. CAhobbit Send a private message to CAhobbit Mar 13 2007, 11:45pm
        no stories to tell! Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 13 2007, 11:58pm
            Not really.... CAhobbit Send a private message to CAhobbit Mar 14 2007, 3:10am
                grumbles and celebrations Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 14 2007, 3:48am
                    FYI... Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Mar 14 2007, 6:12am
                        thanks, I'll remember that Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 14 2007, 6:16am
    I want to hear stories! Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 14 2007, 12:04am
    My list-complete with story Morwen Send a private message to Morwen Mar 14 2007, 1:34am
        If you ever Kimi Send a private message to Kimi Mar 14 2007, 1:42am
            Thank goodness for admins Morwen Send a private message to Morwen Mar 14 2007, 1:57am
        LOL - Spellchecker of Morgoth Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 14 2007, 2:13am
    Well, I've said most of it on Feedback, but Aerin Send a private message to Aerin Mar 14 2007, 5:43am
        They're evil! :-)) Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 14 2007, 6:54am
            Oh, it was easy. Aerin Send a private message to Aerin Mar 14 2007, 7:35am
            There's a very easy fix for some of your worst grumbles Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Mar 15 2007, 3:42am
                IE is not an option for Mac users Aerin Send a private message to Aerin Mar 15 2007, 4:03am
                    One word for Mac users: Firefox Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Mar 16 2007, 3:21am
                        I've compared the features, Aerin Send a private message to Aerin Mar 16 2007, 5:14am
                            You don't have to switch. Alnilam Send a private message to Alnilam Mar 17 2007, 1:06am
                                It does show the same, I think. Aerin Send a private message to Aerin Mar 17 2007, 4:06am
                                    Do you go to any other forums? Alnilam Send a private message to Alnilam Mar 17 2007, 3:18pm
                                        I haven't run into Aerin Send a private message to Aerin Mar 18 2007, 6:36am
                    Agreed! Moriel Send a private message to Moriel Mar 16 2007, 4:01pm
    I miss the old boards because - SandWitch King Send a private message to SandWitch King Mar 14 2007, 6:26am
        I guess I see this as an opportuity Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 14 2007, 7:01am
        LOL! Aerin Send a private message to Aerin Mar 14 2007, 7:37am
        I dunno. Eowyn of Penns Woods Send a private message to Eowyn of Penns Woods Mar 14 2007, 2:27pm
            I knew somebody would do that! SandWitch King Send a private message to SandWitch King Mar 14 2007, 8:41pm
                Oh, but I didn't mean any of *that*... Eowyn of Penns Woods Send a private message to Eowyn of Penns Woods Mar 14 2007, 10:05pm
                    You're implying that I'm not serious? Draupne Send a private message to Draupne Mar 14 2007, 10:11pm
        This really is funny...I meant to add / Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 14 2007, 8:55pm
    Just a couple things wolfranger Send a private message to wolfranger Mar 14 2007, 6:20pm
        Part of me misses that too Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 14 2007, 8:40pm
    Just a couple of things for me, too. Advising Elf Send a private message to Advising Elf Mar 14 2007, 6:41pm
        discernable color change in post Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 14 2007, 8:51pm
            I agree on the BOLD & NEW thing, but... Advising Elf Send a private message to Advising Elf Mar 14 2007, 9:02pm
                i haven't played with everything either Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 14 2007, 10:36pm
                Showoff! Aerin Send a private message to Aerin Mar 14 2007, 11:19pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.