The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Edit a link in my post, please?

Ilmatar
Rohan

May 13 2019, 8:35pm

Post #1 of 15 (2532 views)
Shortcut
Edit a link in my post, please? Can't Post

Could someone edit - or rather, add - a link in my latest post? The post is here http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=961581#961581
and the missing link should be in the last poem section:

"Why should not Pohyola prosper?
There the Sampo [link] grinds unceasing,

Instead of that [link] I was going to put the actual link Blush - this one: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=861347#861347
so that the word "Sampo" in the link. But I was too hasty and caught it too late.

And one more thing: please replace ### with the word 'forged'.

Many thanks in advance!

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on May 13 2019, 8:36pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 13 2019, 9:13pm

Post #2 of 15 (2499 views)
Shortcut
I think I've got those edits right. [In reply to] Can't Post

Would you mind checking them?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 13 2019, 9:17pm

Post #3 of 15 (2500 views)
Shortcut
Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I got those changes made okay - let me know! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 13 2019, 9:18pm

Post #4 of 15 (2495 views)
Shortcut
Wait - were you editing at the same time I was? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 13 2019, 9:30pm

Post #5 of 15 (2494 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Looks like. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ilmatar
Rohan

May 14 2019, 8:22am

Post #6 of 15 (2461 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! One little thing though... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Ataahua. Smile I have one little request still, if I may - I don't know f I should ask you or dernwyn as you both edited the post (we are lucky at TORn to have swift and helpful moderators! Heart) - but I'll ask you because you replied first:
At the moment the link in the word 'Sampo' leads to the beginning of thread number 4. There are many posts about Midsummer etc. in between, before the actual Sampo post that I hoped to have the link for. Maybe I copied the shortcut wrong in my earlier post. Unsure

When you have the time, could you maybe edit the link so that it leads directly to the post titled "Forging of the Sampo, the Magical Mill - Horn of Plenty"? This should be the link to the post:
http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=861347#861347

Thank you very much again, and I'm sorry for the trouble!

*going to double-check my links*

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on May 14 2019, 8:27am)

Ilmatar
Rohan

May 14 2019, 8:25am

Post #7 of 15 (2453 views)
Shortcut
Thank you dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was midnight here when I posted yesterday so I did not have time see you & Ataahua's replies until today. Thank you for tidying up my post! Heart

I have one little thing I hope could be edited still, but already asked Ataahua about it... Smile

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on May 14 2019, 8:26am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 14 2019, 11:52am

Post #8 of 15 (2437 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I click on "Sampo", I go to the "Forging of the Sampo, the Magical Mill" post.

Are you still going to the other post when you click on it?

Ilmatar
Rohan

May 14 2019, 7:07pm

Post #9 of 15 (2409 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but it's OK [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how it's possible that the same link could lead to different places, but yes, I still get the first post of thread 4. I did close the browser (the computer too, overnight) and try again, but it's still the same.

But never mind that. It's the right thread after all, and while it's technically weird that this can happen it's no big deal. Smile Thank you very much for help, both of you!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 14 2019, 10:02pm

Post #10 of 15 (2395 views)
Shortcut
Are you getting the correct link now? [In reply to] Can't Post

When I look at the link in edit mode, it goes to post #861347 ("Forging of the Sampo..."), not to #859631 ("The Kalevala...(Part 4)").

I just "re-edited" it, can you let me know where it goes now?

Ilmatar
Rohan

May 15 2019, 7:18pm

Post #11 of 15 (2323 views)
Shortcut
No, but I honestly don't mind :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always and forever the first post of thread 4, it seems, at least for me. The one that goes #859631 ("The Kalevala...(Part 4)"). But I really don't mind and am just happy that those ugly '###' (left over from my post draft) are replaced with a proper word, and that the link leads to the right thread.

If anyone wants to solve the link mystery for solution's sake, you are of course welcome to do so and I can keep refreshing the page & testing the link.
But as far as I'm concerned I'm content with the post as it's now, and happy with the corrections you and Ataahua made to it. Thank you! SmileSmileSmile

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on May 15 2019, 7:20pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 15 2019, 8:57pm

Post #12 of 15 (2308 views)
Shortcut
That's making me batty. [In reply to] Can't Post

So I re-edited it to point to the first post in thread #4, checked that it went there, then edited it back again to point to the Sampo post, checked and saw that it went to that post instead.

So when I look at it, it's definitely going to the Sampo post!

I may have to consult with my superiors about this mystery (at least, for my own peace of mind)!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 16 2019, 12:35am

Post #13 of 15 (2295 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if... [In reply to] Can't Post

The original linked-to image is just cached on Ilmatar's computer? Clearing the cache might clear up the mystery.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Ilmatar
Rohan

May 16 2019, 5:17pm

Post #14 of 15 (2211 views)
Shortcut
Apologies for causing battiness :D [In reply to] Can't Post

To be precise, the link - in my case - does not lead directly to the first post (like this shortcut [hopefully!] does), but to the very beginning of the thread/webpage, like the cropped screenshot below:

But yes, it still goes there. If you decide to consult with your superiors I would be interested in hearing any explanation, but I hope you obtain peace of mind in any case. I have. Tongue

Ilmatar
Rohan

May 16 2019, 5:19pm

Post #15 of 15 (2210 views)
Shortcut
No, that's not it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Because I have checked the site & links with my smartphone as well, and it's the same unexplainable phenomenon over there... Cool It may remain a mystery.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.