Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Aragorn's reaction on seeing the Hobbits at Bree

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

May 10, 10:29am

Post #1 of 17 (3357 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn's reaction on seeing the Hobbits at Bree Can't Post

A thing I have been wondering recently is that it is possibly a shame that we never see the events in the Prancing Pony from Aragorn's or Strider's point of view. It might be amusing to know what he thought. At first he could well have been horrified at the prospect of having to guide these Hobbits through the dangerous wilderland. But then on the other hand, he might have thought that at least they wouldn't have been agents of Sauron, they couldn't possibly have behaved so foolishly!

noWizardme
Valinor

May 10, 7:53pm

Post #2 of 17 (3286 views)
Shortcut
"This is the ambitious, weary and apprehensive prince" [In reply to] Can't Post

You get something like this reverse camera angle, with Aragorn as out POV character, from Paul H Kocher's excellent essay about Aragorn in "Master of Middle-Earth" (Del Ray 1972 - out of print now, but it might not be too difficult to find a second hand copy, or your library might say "it's an old book, but it checks out"):

...This is the ambitious, weary and apprehensive prince who impatiently watches the foolish antics of the hobbits under the suspicious eyes of the crowd in the inn. To his mind the hobbits badly need taking in hand, as children who are playing games with the fate of Middle-earth. Having trailed them to Bree after hearing their good-byes to Bombadil, he must now undertake to guide them to the safety of Rivendell. But how to persuade them to accept him -- a complete stranger? he has asked the innkeeper Butterbur to take a message to the hobbits that he wants to talk to them, and has been ignominiously turned down. Like other folk in Bree, Butterbur is parochially contemptuous of mysterious Rangers. The incident has not decreased Aragron's sense of anger and frustration, but it is typical of him that he manages to master them After some mild but unsuccessful warnings to Frodo in the taproom to be more cautious, he quietly invites himself into the hobbits' private room and patiently sets out to win their confidence. He does not make the mistake of being ingratiating: on the contrary, he starts out with a shock tactic. because of the debacle in the common room he treats them like the children they have shown themselves to be, and proposes to give them unspecified valuable information in exchange for the "reward" of being allowed to accompany them. The proposal is meant to be indignantly refused, and when it is, Aragorn applauds.

Step by step he arouses the hobbits to the dangers of their situation. he warms them to him by making fin of his own wayworn appearance which causes the innkeeper to scorn him... Aragorn is hiding here the very real hurt he feels. But when Butterbur enters the room again with a pointblank warning to the hobbits not to "take up with a Ranger," thereby disturbing Aragorn's efforts at conciliation, Aragorn strikes back acidly...Aragorn is capable of lasting anger at laxity, stupidity and ingratitude. These are still in his mind weeks later at Elrond's Council when he [recalls Butterbur's scorn about him].
Paul H Kocher's in "Master of Middle-Earth" (Del Ray 1972

Kocher's book was something I got on squire's recommendation some time ago. It's a very thoughtful but accessible guide. It was published before the Silmarillion and C Tolkien's other work on JRR's notes and drafts. So in some places Kocher has to guess at what Christopher Tolkien subsequently revealed. Even so, I'd say it's still very worth reading today.
Hope that helps!

--
PS: I tried to dictate this to Siri rather than copy-type, but got a rather different tale:

This is an ambitious weary and apprehensive prints in patiently waits the Foo Fighters antics of The Hobbit and the suspicious size of the crown. In his mind the hobbits badly need taking in hand as children who are playing games of the fate of middle earth having trouble going to be after overhearing the goodbyes to Bombadil now undertake to guide them to the safety of rental....
LaughWink

~~~~~~
"Go down to the shovel store and take your pick." Traditional prank played on dwarves when they start down the mine.

(This post was edited by noWizardme on May 10, 7:56pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 10, 8:24pm

Post #3 of 17 (3271 views)
Shortcut
Siri got Bombadil right but made "foolish" into "Foo Fighters"?!?!? [In reply to] Can't Post

And Rivendell is a rental, like AirBnB? That would explain how Elves make money when they never seem to work. I suspect the reason the Fellowship slept on the ground of Caras Galadhon was because all the rooms were rented for the Annual Tooth Fairy Convention.

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

May 10, 9:11pm

Post #4 of 17 (3269 views)
Shortcut
I'm dying! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit Foo Fighters heading to the Rivendell Airbnb, where they will rest for a while before heading to their final destination- The third annual Lothlorien Tooth Fairy Convention where they will hear the esteemed dentist Galadriel of Lorien lecture on the new topical toothpaste she has derived from Mallorn leaves.

*9 out of 10 ME dentists approve this toothpaste. The tenth is busy with tooth extractions in the Mordor realm and is unavailable for comment*

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

kzer_za
Lorien

May 10, 9:13pm

Post #5 of 17 (3268 views)
Shortcut
Book Aragorn has a pretty biting sarcastic wit [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one aspect of his character that is sometimes overlooked, I think.

(This post was edited by kzer_za on May 10, 9:14pm)

squire
Half-elven

May 10, 10:48pm

Post #6 of 17 (3253 views)
Shortcut
Paul Kocher rocks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, indeed, his essay "Aragorn" is a gem of its kind in Tolkien commentary. Thanks for the nod on the recommendation - I'm glad to hear you've come aboard the "Tom who?" train. Master of Middle-earth was reprinted by DelRay in 1977 and is still easily available on Amazon, new and used, hardcover and paperback.

No less a Tolkien authority than David Bratman contributed to its Amazon review page in 2003 with this comment about the essay we are discussing here: "...the best analysis ever published of the character of Aragorn."

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ithilisa
Rivendell

May 11, 5:31am

Post #7 of 17 (3216 views)
Shortcut
Thank you noWizardme and Squire [In reply to] Can't Post

That book sounds fascinating. Just went on Amazon and ordered a copy. I look forward to reading the entire essay about Aragorn.

"I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road!" - Gildor

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."- Thorin

noWizardme
Valinor

May 11, 6:16am

Post #8 of 17 (3206 views)
Shortcut
The “Foo Fighters” bit certainly surprised me :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps there’s some draft of this chapter —written in feint illegible pencil on the back of an album cover, of course— in which the hobbits sing “Everlong” to the gathering at the Pony, instead of the Inn song?

Although, because they’re hobbits, maybe it should be “Evershort”?

~~~~~~
"Go down to the shovel store and take your pick." Traditional prank played on dwarves when they start down the mine.

noWizardme
Valinor

May 11, 8:53am

Post #9 of 17 (3204 views)
Shortcut
...then suddenly FOTR makes a whole new kind of sense :) [In reply to] Can't Post

This Foo Fighters incursion made me wonder - if the Hobbit foursome were a rock band, who would be who?

• Pippin is easy - impulsive, twitchy, makes a lot of noise and does things to make something happen, even if it causes a problem - he's the drummer!
  • Similarly, Merry is happiest when his work makes someone else's work...actually work properly. He's the bassist.
  • Sam? I think he's the keyboard player - the one whose name fans struggle to remember, yet who can suddenly solve the band's problem with the insight that the new number can be based on an old folk song about trolls, or needs the walking baseline from some obscure early music piece about Gil-Galad.
  • Frodo? Now I'm not sure. What I am sure about is that none of them seem like the flamboyant, even narcissistic personality of the classic frontman....

...and then it hit me:
Following the spectacular but controversial retirement gig of their long-time frontman Bilbo, The Hobbit Band looks for a replacement. For a while they rehearse with Gandalf, but when he unexpectedly leaves to pursue a side-project with Saruman and RunDMC, the band is forced to set off for Rivendell Studios, hoping to pick someone up on the way. It's made all the more difficult because they're dogged by by paparazzi in black robes, wanting leads on Bilbo's rehab, and Sam's rumoured girlfriend. In that light, Tom Bombadil suddenly makes more sense - he's an attempted new direction involving either rap or jazz scat that fails over artistic differences about the nearly fatal video for Wights in Night Satin.

At Rivendell of course they reunite with Gandalf, and producer Elrond persuades them to become an all-star nine-piece, The Fellowship. Who plays what after that I'm not sure (though movie-Gimli and movie-Legolas of course offer their axe and their bow, thereby identifying themselves as a rhythm guitarist and fiddle player). The new formation's first gig in Moria is such a success that the audience tries to barricade them in there, and later tries to kidnap some of the band. Only reports and some bootlegs of the set exist though (as far as I've been able to find). There seems to have been a long track of weird drumming, and an assortment of covers. The gig is, however, chiefly remembered for the collapsing stage set.

The Ring, in this reading, is of course a metaphor for the spotlight, which Frodo craves secretly, whilst repeatedly offering to other well-known musicians.he has little luck with his quest: after Moria he first goes to Galadriel but is disappointed to find she only wants to do Queen covers. Boromir thinks the band should be the backing group for his horn solos, which leads to a further violent dispute. By the end of LOTR, Frodo has taken up with the veteran musician Dave Grohlum (aka Smeagol), but it is not clear how this will work out. Artistic differences will continue to trouble The Ringbearers, with their final concert (Concert on Mount Doom) ending up with Frodo and Dave Grohlum openly fighting for the Ring on stage, after which Grohlum again falls off the stage and the entire set explodes...But that's Rock'n'Roll.

~~~~~~

(This post was edited by noWizardme on May 11, 9:04am)

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

May 11, 12:36pm

Post #10 of 17 (3168 views)
Shortcut
Nice! // [In reply to] Can't Post

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

noWizardme
Valinor

May 11, 12:43pm

Post #11 of 17 (3174 views)
Shortcut
He does. I wonder whether it is... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder whether it is something to do with usually being the most competent person in the room, whilst being one of the least showy?

~~~~~~

noWizardme
Valinor

May 11, 12:47pm

Post #12 of 17 (3175 views)
Shortcut
And, The Aragorn essay is far from the only good bit in Kocher's book [In reply to] Can't Post

It also has very good essays on Sauron and the nature of evil, and on the contrasting forces of fate and free will in LOTR. So very good value for a mass market paperback.

Kocher also wrote a guide to the Silmarillion, but I haven't read that - maybe someone else can comment on whether it's as good?
~~~~~~

~~~~~~

(This post was edited by noWizardme on May 11, 12:49pm)

Lissuin
Valinor

May 11, 8:28pm

Post #13 of 17 (3135 views)
Shortcut
But that's Rock'n'Roll. [In reply to] Can't Post

And that's classic noWizardme. Laugh
Good one. Cheers!

noWizardme
Valinor

May 12, 9:01am

Post #14 of 17 (3061 views)
Shortcut
Thanks - I'm glad you enjoyed it. Party on, Dudes! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

newrow
The Shire

May 12, 7:06pm

Post #15 of 17 (3063 views)
Shortcut
Wonderment [In reply to] Can't Post

Your wonderment Hamfast Gamgee is lighted through with mystery, which I enjoy to think about.
Rangers. They were known in those parts. Yes, most of them were the dunadan, but others? Elves in hoods maybe?I wonder if they were dark rangers in Eriador. Who put the firewood at Weathertop for the five+poney to find?Oh my, another mystery that may never be answered. Was it a dark ranger aiding the Ringwraiths alreadythere? Now, remember want was said about the danger to take the Ring west. That road is most dangerous.Did Elrond know too about dark rangers or am I just reading too much into Elrond's words?
I believe that Aragorn II though the hobbits were a burden, but a good burden in the same way Merry and Pippinhelped Boromir bring his nurturing side. If two elf-lords would have joined, would not Gimli and Boromir feel threatened by the elf-lords
more and more as they moved closer to Mordor?
Finally, remember Aragorn IIs comments at the inn of traps by the enemy? Why make such a statement then with the hobbits presents, unless did the enemy oncetry to use hobbits to bait Aragorn II in a fake rescue?
I find it no accident Tom Bombadil brought the hobbits to the road close to Aragorn IIs hiding. Tom must of known the concealed rangerwas there and of his heritage allowing the ring and the man to met. Oh my, now I think this was a moment to cause fear in Aragorn IIjust as when Tolkien was told he can not marry until I think he was age or after the war. "I am the one with authority. You have duty now to be tested before you can receive a great gift. You are now responsible for another."

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 12, 10:31pm

Post #16 of 17 (3038 views)
Shortcut
I always said LOTR was pure allegory [In reply to] Can't Post

The Ring, in this reading, is of course a metaphor for the spotlight, which Frodo craves secretly, whilst repeatedly offering to other well-known musicians.

I'm glad you definitively blew the lid off of the Professor's denials to the contrary.

Actually, if you think of how Galadriel acted in the FOTR movie when tempted with the spotlight, that would account for the whole nuclear glow thing during her trial run on stage. "I will diminish, and exit stage west, and remain Galadriel."

CMackintosh
The Shire

May 30, 8:44am

Post #17 of 17 (2397 views)
Shortcut
Frodo as flautist [In reply to] Can't Post

or perhaps a French Horn player, or sax player? Maybe even the Hawaiian steel guitar ... He's definitely the guy you find in some bands quietly waiting on the wings to do a solo on an instrument most audience members won't recognize - while also singing a back part to the frontman's vocals. He thinks Gandalf's the frontman, except Gandalf won't have a bar of it. And Aragorn's quietly setting up his vibraphone and refusing to sing falsetto. Boromir - dear, dear Borry - is assuming everyone wants him to play piano solo, whereas Aragorn actually prefers him on rhythm guitar.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.