Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Calisuri's post from the homepage... (link)

greendragon
Sr. Staff

May 9, 1:46pm

Post #1 of 20 (3320 views)
Shortcut
Calisuri's post from the homepage... (link) Can't Post

Hi all! So, WordPress changed again recently, and even though homepage posts are SUPPOSED to post here to the message boards, that doesn't seem to be happening (unless I am somehow just looking in the wrong place...)

Anyway: Calisuri wrote something for the homepage, which I thought you all would enjoy reading. It's his review of TOLKIEN, but also describes a fandom journey which may be familiar for some of you. So I thought you should see his post. Enjoy!

https://www.theonering.net/...rector-of-tolkien-2/

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

(This post was edited by dernwyn on May 9, 4:23pm)

greendragon
Sr. Staff

May 9, 1:48pm

Post #2 of 20 (3260 views)
Shortcut
Huh, guess I failed to make that a link... [In reply to] Can't Post

Help! How come I'm failing to make that a clickable link to Cali's post? I've clearly been away from the boards too long....!! Someone fix it for me, will ya? Meanwhile y'all will just have to cut and paste... UnsureLaugh

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Lissuin
Valinor

May 9, 3:05pm

Post #3 of 20 (3248 views)
Shortcut
At 2:49 a.m. this is the best clickable a non-mod could do. [In reply to] Can't Post

Till they all wake up and someone works their mod magic, please read the post and be uplifted, as I was. Thanks, Calisuri - for everything!

https://www.theonering.net/...rector-of-tolkien-2/

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 9, 4:32pm

Post #4 of 20 (3244 views)
Shortcut
Clickable now! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a little glitch with the "url" command, all fixed now.

Thank you for this, greendragon! This is a wonderful story to relate.

I can understand where Calisuri's been, that path he's been wandering. And I'm so happy for him now. As one person commented: "Not all who wander are lost".

Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Solicitr
Rohan

May 9, 5:34pm

Post #5 of 20 (3242 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

take it, based on

no, this was a unique interpretation of a famous life, pieced together from a relatively undocumented time.

that Calisuri hasn't read John Garth's biography, which covers exactly the same material as this movie?

I suppose that reading it (or the Chronology in the H&S Companion & Guide) could really ruin the movie, because one is then painfully aware how much is being falsified.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 9, 6:10pm

Post #6 of 20 (3240 views)
Shortcut
ohhhh... Thank you so much! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you gd for bringing this forward. *warm hug* This has me in tears...

What modern sensibility will we crucify Tolkien with today?’

This is what got me started. It just seems like everything has to have a reality or hard twist to it. I completely understand how Calisuri would essentially get burned out with all that has happened over so many years. Once the films were done and TORn was pretty-much on cruise-control, the fun of discovery and creation would wane. That he and our other Founders... and all the first-agers who have hung in there is impressive and so appreciated.

I've been worried, too, about being disappointed in this film. He has given me hope that there's something to enrich that personal relationship we each have with Tolkien and his works. To meet the young man who gave us our Professor has me eager to get there.

Thank you. And Calisuri... *big hug* thank you for being so real with us... as you always have. :) You've still got the magic.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 9, 7:40pm

Post #7 of 20 (3227 views)
Shortcut
I still have a few weeks to wait. [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't open in NZ cinemas until 6 June.

Unsure

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

May 10, 6:08am

Post #8 of 20 (3202 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting it here! Don't know if the film will ever come to India... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had seen Calisuri's post on Home, loved it, and wondered why it wasn't appearing anywhere else...Glad also to see Angelic, by the way, that I am far from the only one who doesn't find it easy to create real links within posts on our beloved TORn Boards!!! I won't feel so ashamed any longer whenever I call for help for this dreadful task Crazy...
Although I am disappointed that Nicholas Hoult, the young actor chosen to play young Tolkien, doesn't resemble him physically at all, at least he seems to play really well and convey something of what we all love in this JRRT he became... Thank you, dear gramma, for the beautiful way you expressed that in your post above:

'To meet the young man who gave us our Professor has me eager to get there.'

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

(This post was edited by mae govannen on May 10, 6:10am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

May 10, 6:21am

Post #9 of 20 (3197 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for being around, and getting it done! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am full of compassion for those who tried before in earnest, and yet weren't successful... That has happened often enough to me, so I don't even try anymore!!! Unsure Too stressful for me!...Pirate
And thank you also for "Not all who wander are lost". So movingly perfect. Heart

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

May 10, 12:02pm

Post #10 of 20 (3181 views)
Shortcut
From now MrCere's review, posted on Home too, it seems [In reply to] Can't Post

that you're right to some extent...I will not venture personally to try and post that newer review also here (don't know how to link), but I do hope someone else will!...

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

May 10, 12:34pm

Post #11 of 20 (3180 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm much more likely to go see the movie now after reading Calisuri's review than I was before.

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 10, 3:30pm

Post #12 of 20 (3158 views)
Shortcut
Ditto what Notta said. Thanks, Calisuri! // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 10, 3:40pm

Post #13 of 20 (3170 views)
Shortcut
MrCere's review on "Tolkien" from home page [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the link. "Review: ‘Tolkien’ film both rewarding and frustrating"

squire
Half-elven

May 10, 9:53pm

Post #14 of 20 (3138 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Mr. Cere is quite judicious. I just saw it this afternoon, and tend to agree with him. [In reply to] Can't Post

As he says, we are lucky to get a film that treats Tolkien's story fairly seriously. Whoever thought the TCBS would make it to the silver screen, after all? Much of it is done very well, within the conventions of a romanticized "Hollywood" biopic.

But structurally, the elimination of any real mention of the entire Silmarillion/Book of Lost Tales leaves a gaping hole in the narrative at the end of the film. That is what Tolkien was actually working on in the period shown by the film (or at least was beginning to get interested in working on), but evidently the filmmakers wrote that off as a lost cause. "Tolkien" to today's general film-goer means The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, full stop.

Unfortunately that leaves the film, which tries to stick to at least the main lines of his artistic and emotional development, thrashing about trying to deliver a payoff to his struggle and to his survival that can somehow take place less that twenty years after the film's main action wraps up, and they just don't pull it off.

As I thought I might, I did enjoy it overall and I would certainly recommend it to anyone, and Tolkien fans especially. But be prepared to see Tolkien's 'actual' early years treated about as romantically, loosely, and imaginatively as his books were treated by Jackson & Co. Purists beware, in other words; all others welcome.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

May 11, 7:44am

Post #15 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for making a link to it for me! // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 11, 9:14pm

Post #16 of 20 (3089 views)
Shortcut
"Tolkien" Mild Spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

This one stays with you. It has left me feeling like the The Lord of the Rings does when I reach the end. Deeply emotional and very personal. I knew Professor Tolkien's story before, but I understand it now. This is a story about friendship and devotion on many levels. The obvious friendships between his fellow Tea Club members and Tolkien's love for Edith and hers for him; but also how Tolkien realizes his love for linguistics thanks to Professor Wright's equal veneration for language. They connected like a lightning from a clear sky.

The story is seen through Tolkien's POV in flashbacks through the haze of his burning fever bringing him so near death throughout the film. But for the dedication of that young Private, Sam, he would have never survived. omg... this film is rich with meaningful moments.

Sometimes trailers show the best parts of a film. Not so here. This film is not done for entertainment. It's sharing Tolkien's journey through his young life and how the encouragement of friends carries them all through the trials they each face. It's funny, haunting, has wonderful visual richness, and quiet moments that are poignant and intimate. Still the action in the war scenes makes clear the horrors of the war as he lay near death among the dead in a bloody, flooded shell crater.

I'm left feeling included, cared about, and that everyone involved with this film held Tolkien's life with honour and did not exploit it because of the success of his works. It's wonderful... and so is Nicholas Hoult. The closing moments mesmerized me and were etched on more than paper in my case.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 11, 9:15pm

Post #17 of 20 (3086 views)
Shortcut
"Tolkien" No Spoilers: [In reply to] Can't Post

This one stays with you. It has left me feeling like the The Lord of the Rings does when I reach the end. Deeply emotional and very personal. I knew Professor Tolkien's story before, but I understand it now. This is a story about friendship and devotion on many levels. The obvious friendships between his fellow Tea Club members and Tolkien's love for Edith and hers for him; but also how Tolkien realizes his love for linguistics.

Sometimes trailers show the best parts of a film. Not so here. This film is not done for entertainment. It's sharing Tolkien's journey through his young life and how the encouragement of friends carries them all through the trials they each face. It's funny, haunting, has wonderful visual richness, and quiet moments that are poignant and intimate.

I'm left feeling included, cared about, and that everyone involved with this film held Tolkien's life with honour and did not exploit it because of the success of his works. It's wonderful... and so is Nicholas Hoult.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 11, 9:54pm

Post #18 of 20 (3087 views)
Shortcut
I didn't go in quite as pessimistic.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but reading this now does make me realize how wrong this could have gone.

I enjoyed the film immensely (even to the point that I would have liked it to be a touch longer and fleshed out in parts), and I have to say that it was - thankfully - a very respectful film to our dear Professor.

I have many things I want to say about the film, but I think I need to collect my thoughts for a bit longer. For now, one thing I will say is that, while Nicholas Hoult will rightfully get a great deal of deserved praise (as should the other members of the TCBS), I really loved Lily Collins as Edith. She gave a wonderful portrayal and had such magnetic presence in the film.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on May 11, 9:55pm)

greendragon
Sr. Staff

May 19, 10:01pm

Post #19 of 20 (2838 views)
Shortcut
Hanon le, dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

{{hugs}} at ya! Heart

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 20, 11:50am

Post #20 of 20 (2773 views)
Shortcut
Hey there! [In reply to] Can't Post

{{hugs}} back atcha!

Are you still working here in the States (as an "alien of extraordinary ability" - that description always makes me grin, it's wonderful!)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.