Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Was Tolkien called John or Ronald to his friends and associates?

elf_wannabee
Lorien

May 8, 4:03am

Post #1 of 11 (2218 views)
Shortcut
Was Tolkien called John or Ronald to his friends and associates? Can't Post

In rhe movie "Tolkien " I noticed some people called Tolkien John and some called him Ronald. I'm confused about this. What did his friends and associates call him? By the way the movie was excellent despite the critics reviews. I was moved to tears! I loved Stephen Colbert's interview with Nickolas, Lilly, and Dome! Thank you Fathom!

Darkstone
Immortal

May 8, 4:26am

Post #2 of 11 (2193 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

His wife and other family members called him "Ronald".

The Inklings and other friends called him "Tollers". (Adding "-ers" to the first syllable of one's last name to make a nickname was a somewhat common practice at that time and within his class.)

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 8, 2:25pm

Post #3 of 11 (2147 views)
Shortcut
OK, but calling you 'Darkers' just never caught on. [In reply to] Can't Post

Neither did Wellers. We'll keep trying. Smile

Solicitr
Rohan

May 8, 4:17pm

Post #4 of 11 (2143 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

To his very close school chums (ie the TCBS) he was "John Ronald." To family he was Ronald. To everyone else he was Tolkien,* except to his closer friends like the Inklings, for whom "Tollers" was an acceptable nickname.

Englishmen of Tolkien's class and generation didn't go by first name except to family and intimate friends.

Or "Mr. Tolkien," to students and staff. Towards the end of his career "Professor" as a form of address was coming into vogue at Oxford, but he disliked it.

(This post was edited by Solicitr on May 8, 4:31pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

May 8, 5:10pm

Post #5 of 11 (2136 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

In letters from his *T.C.B.S. friends Tolkien was called variously ‘Gabriel’, ‘Gab’, ‘Cludhari’ – nicknames whose origin is obscure and not mentioned in surviving correspondence – but mainly ‘John Ronald’, with isolated instances of ‘Ronald’ or ‘JRRT’. His few surviving letters to the T.C.B.S. are signed ‘John Ronald’. In a letter to *Joy Hill of 26 December 1971 he noted that his contemporaries used to write his initials as ‘JR(superscript2)T' and pronounce them ‘to rhyme with dirt’ (collection of Ren? van Rossenberg).

According to Humphrey Carpenter, when Tolkien ‘was an adult his intimates [presumably other than family] referred to him (as was customary at the time) by his surname, or called him “Tollers”, a hearty nickname typical of the period. To those not so close, especially in his later years, he was often known as “J.R.R.T.”’ (Biography, p. 13).

-From The J. R. R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: Volume 3: Reader’s Guide PART 2.
(Very highly recommended)

Darkstone
Immortal

May 8, 5:12pm

Post #6 of 11 (2118 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness my nick isn't "Stonedark"!! / [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 8, 6:28pm

Post #7 of 11 (2111 views)
Shortcut
Don't tempt me. // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 9, 10:19am

Post #8 of 11 (2043 views)
Shortcut
Well.... That's a deep subject! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry... I couldn't control myself! *twitch*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Darkstone
Immortal

May 9, 10:03pm

Post #9 of 11 (2005 views)
Shortcut
For such a shallow mind as mine! / [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 10, 12:54am

Post #10 of 11 (1992 views)
Shortcut
Oh, you're drawing from the depths of experience just fine :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Mari D.
Rivendell

Jul 6, 11:18pm

Post #11 of 11 (380 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they had [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In letters from his *T.C.B.S. friends Tolkien was called variously ‘Gabriel’, ‘Gab’, ‘Cludhari’ – nicknames whose origin is obscure and not mentioned in surviving correspondence

... an inside joke where each one of them got assigned the name of one of the 4 archangels :D in any case, nicknames can be invented in fun and spontaneousn ways among friends. That's what I find makes great friendships so rich - they sparkle with unpredictable and ample creativity.

(This post was edited by Mari D. on Jul 6, 11:22pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.