Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Movie Tech. Discussion 17 - Post Production: The Final Mix / The Final Post
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

May 3 2008, 5:18pm

Post #26 of 38 (970 views)
Shortcut
thanks to both of you [In reply to] Can't Post

I will (a bit sheepishly) admit that the technical aspects of filmmaking aren't a strong interest for me. I always checked in to see what you all were talking about and you sure did hook me with the soundtrack thread. And the images in the last half of this post kind of brought a lump to my throat and a glow to my chest.

This has been a huge labor of love for both of you. As a fellow obsessive, I know what drives one to do work like this and I know how much time and energy it takes and... to some extent... the toll it takes. Your discussions and it's fellows on the board, are what make this place home to me. TORn is a true community that takes turns contributing to all the aspects that form it.

Thanks muchly.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website

weaver
Half-elven

May 3 2008, 7:09pm

Post #27 of 38 (1000 views)
Shortcut
Finally getting a chance to comment... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some random replies to a very enjoyable read!

1. I think it's neat that you had help from PLB and his TORNsib brother -- I love it when connections like that happen around here.

2. I also love the very "unprofessional" shot of Jackson with all those Oscars on that table -- it looks like the kind of shot you'd take in your living room, cluttered, unposed, with all kinds of oddball things in the background. I like the real-ness of that, I guess. Tolkien had such a good sense of balance about him, in that while he enjoyed the praise he got from LOTR (eventually), he never let it change him too much as a person. Jackson seems to share that quality as well.

3. I can also relate, some, to the situation where everyone else is panicked but Peter as they try to wrap it all up. If I can refer to my grant-writing experience again, as I have before, I can tell you that I'll always make my deadline but its typically "just in time." Now, I have full confidence I'll make it, but it's hard for "business" people, who don't work the way I do, to trust that. I tell them that writing is an "organic" process and that I can't really tell you how far in advance of the deadline it will get done, etc., because it just has to all sort of "come together." Now, since my creativity is what they are paying for, they accept that, but that doesn't mean they like it! To them, it's a totally different and inefficient way of working and it really takes them out of their comfort zone. To me, it's totally normal, though, and the way I do my best work.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while the final mixing process looks like chaos, it really is just the way creative things get done sometimes, and losing sleep and working overtime at the end just seems to be required no matter how much you try to avoid it. Jackson has always struck me as the model when it comes to creative entrepreneurship -- he knows what's important to the business side, and how to work with that mindset, but he uses it to get the best creative work out of himself and others. When it comes to "creative economy" leaders, I'd put him on the top of the list.

4. Finally, I love that the shot of the Ring being destroyed was the very last thing they finished. How symbolic was that!

Thanks again for a great series -- you really opened my eyes to the movie making process, and ,as you had hoped to do when you set out on this mission-quest-thing, you laid the groundwork very nicely for Hobbit speculation on all of the topics you covered.

Now, go have some ice cream or something, Ok? Two scoops for each of you!

Weaver

OhioHobbit
Gondor

May 4 2008, 12:40am

Post #28 of 38 (960 views)
Shortcut
Symbolic [In reply to] Can't Post

Peredhil lover and her brother were terrific to help out. Peredhil lover has been a great support through this whole thing.

I love that shot of Jackson with all the Oscars too. Like you said, it seems “real.” It makes me think of getting back to the room, taking your shoes off, and “letting down.” I don’t remember who it was, but it that scene someone said that it was the first time that he ever saw Peter Jackson in awe of something.

I run into a creative/business conflict in my work, also. I am always being asked how long it will take to write a computer program to do something and I really don’t know, especially when the hardest part is figuring out what it is they want and then discovering that they don’t really know what they want. So, it’s an organic process on both sides. But that scenario just repeats over and over. I think that Peter Jackson is a rare elf that can exist in both worlds at the same time.

The last shot of the last movie just happened to turn out to be the melting of the ring. The end of the entire gigantic process. Symbolic indeed!

Wasn’t it very considerate of Guillermo del Toro to time his announcement with the ending of these discussions? Thanks weaver! By the way, Alcarcalime and I did have some ice cream. Smile

OhioHobbit
Gondor

May 4 2008, 12:43am

Post #29 of 38 (961 views)
Shortcut
You know Magpie, [In reply to] Can't Post

that music post was written with you in mind. The whole time that I was putting that together I was hoping that it would meet with your approval. So, you have really made my day! Smile

Thank you, Magpie

OhioHobbit
Gondor

May 4 2008, 12:46am

Post #30 of 38 (982 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Owain! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was all terrific! Very well explained IMO. I love learning about these kinds of things. I don’t remember if it was in the extras or if I read it somewhere that all of the editors and all of the different departments had access to all of the movie data. That made me wonder about the whole system, how it was organized, and who was in-charge of it. My thing is Computer Aided Design and factory floor information (among other things). File organization is a big part of that, who has what opened, what has been changed by who, when, and why, and which is the latest version. Also, if something is changed one place is it changed everywhere else. I knew just enough to have a big question mark about the filmmaking process. So, I found your information really interesting. One could do a whole series on the digital realm of filmmaking and the people that make it happen. I hope the best of luck to you in your career.

Thanks again, Owain.

OhioHobbit
Gondor

May 4 2008, 12:51am

Post #31 of 38 (962 views)
Shortcut
Lurkers… [In reply to] Can't Post

are greatly appreciated, being one myself! Wink

Thanks, sevilodorf.

(This post was edited by OhioHobbit on May 4 2008, 12:52am)

OhioHobbit
Gondor

May 4 2008, 12:55am

Post #32 of 38 (957 views)
Shortcut
Something that you might be interested in. [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme wanted there to be some way to conveniently keep access to the Movie Technical Discussions and Magpie came up with an idea. I am going to create a post that contains links to each discussion, kind of like an index. I will post that in this last discussion, then place a link to that post in my footer. That should make things really easy. Smile

OhioHobbit
Gondor

May 4 2008, 12:57am

Post #33 of 38 (961 views)
Shortcut
Looking back. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes after finishing a big project it feels really weird to be looking back at it instead of looking forward to it, or being in the middle of it. The people that worked on The Lord of the Rings must have felt really strange when it was all over.

I enjoy reading about what you’re doing, One Ringer.
Good luck and thanks.

Owain
Tol Eressea

May 4 2008, 1:51am

Post #34 of 38 (957 views)
Shortcut
No problem...and thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed the information you shared as well.

Discussion boards are wonderful (when they are civil, logical discussions)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 4 2008, 3:37am

Post #35 of 38 (964 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

that's a good idea. I have already bookmarked all the threads for myself, but it seems I am not the only one who wants to have easy access to all your wonderful posts. This idea would be very helpful - and maybe over time lure a few newbies there, too.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

OhioHobbit
Gondor

May 6 2008, 12:15am

Post #36 of 38 (1846 views)
Shortcut
Movie Technical Discussion - Index [In reply to] Can't Post

Movie Technical Discussion 1 - Book to Script

Movie Tech. Discussion 2 - Desighing Middle-earth
Storieboards, Anamatics, and Previsualization

Movie Tech. Discussion 3 - Building Middle-earth: Set Construction

Movie Tech. Discussion 4 - Buildling Middle-earth: Miniatures

Movie Tech. Discussion 5 - Buildling Middle-earth: Props
Daniel Reeve
WETA
Swords
Beam me up Scotty!

Movie Tech. Discussion 6 - Buildling Middle-earth: Costumes
Jewerly

Movie Tech. Discussion 7 - Filming Middle-earth: Cinematography

Movie Tech. Discussion 8 - Filming Middle-earth: Cameras
Motion Control
Stedicams
Digital Cameras

Movie Tech. Discussion 9 - Filming Middle-earth: Lighting

Movie Tech. Discussion 10 - Filming Middle-earth: Visual Effects

Movie Tech. Discussion 11 - Post Production: Editing

Movie Tech. Discussion 12 - Post Production: Special Effects
Blue Screen

Movie Tech. Discussion 13 - Computer Graphic Images
Key Frame & Motion Capture (Gollum)
Massive

Movie Tech. Discussion 14 - Post Production: Digital Grading

Movie Tech. Discussion 15 - Post Production: Sound
The Wilhelm Scream

Movie Tech. Discussion 16 - Post Production: Music

Movie Tech. Discussion 17 - Post Production: The Final Mix

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 6 2008, 1:00am

Post #37 of 38 (940 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us May 5-11 for "The White Rider".

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 6 2008, 1:03am

Post #38 of 38 (967 views)
Shortcut
*mods way, way, way, way up!* You're awesome! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.