Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
If the Sil were ever made...

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

May 2, 4:16pm

Post #1 of 7 (1871 views)
Shortcut
If the Sil were ever made... Can't Post

Who would you cast? I think this lovely young lady with a voice of gold would be PERFECT for Luthien Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ2buDbWV5w&list=RD9wMHTxnUYjs&index=18

Bonus- she actually sings these songs herself, AND she's done some original works based on Tolkien, including Luthien's Lament to Mandos (which is STUNNING):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F3X5CrPn8I

I can DEFINITELY see her as Luthien (not to mention, she looks as Luthien is described, though might need contacts for the gray eyes). What do you think?

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

(This post was edited by Cirashala on May 2, 4:19pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 5, 1:21pm

Post #2 of 7 (1799 views)
Shortcut
She would be in the running [In reply to] Can't Post

Casting Luthien? That's as tough as casting Helen of Troy (or Arwen). How can people agree on who is the ultimate beauty? My own opinion changes by the day of the week. The woman here certainly is beautiful.

I think one tricky thing about Luthien is that while she's first seen by Beren as a fairy princess singing in the forest, which conjures images of a gentle and thus rather soft-looking woman, once the story heats up, she shows how feisty and strong she can be, making most of the decisions and rescuing Beren more often than the reverse, though her strength isn't physical and is more a matter of iron will + magic. So, there needs to be a layer of ethereal beauty that covers a core of great strength. I think that defies the usual casting and directing choices that are more one-dimensional: soft poet or tough warrior.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 5, 6:51pm

Post #3 of 7 (1775 views)
Shortcut
Well...... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree she's beautiful and (minus false eyelashes) would look the part, and her singing voice is lovely. But surely, the bonus any casting director would need in order to choose her to play Luthien isn't her singing voice or song-writing, it's acting ability. As CuriousG points out, Luthien wouldn't be an easy part to cast - it would take someone with real presence on screen to carry it off.But she's lovely to listen to and I'd never heard of her before, so thanks for the link! Smile

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

May 5, 8:50pm

Post #4 of 7 (1759 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

At the very least, her composition of Luthien's Lament was incredible, and so was her voice singing it, so if nothing else she should be cast as the singing voice for Luthien Smile

I agree- acting ability is paramount. I was simply saying that, in voice and appearance, she could play Luthien. I would have to see her act first to see if she could pull off the character in dialogue and action, as well as voice and appearance.

Still, she does remind me of how I would imagine Luthien looking and sounding when she sings Wink

You are welcome! I stumbled upon her music quite by accident, and was floored at her skill. Such a masterful and amazing voice!

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

mwirkk
Rohan

May 6, 4:57am

Post #5 of 7 (1744 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen... [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you followed the SilFilm musings at https://mythgard.org/silmfilm/ ??? Prof. Corey Olsen, his faculty, and students have had some very interesting discussions on this topic for some time.
Pax!
-Matt Wirkkala (mwirkk)
Seattle
:)

The Black Knight Always Triumphs!!

-mwirkk :)

(This post was edited by mwirkk on May 6, 4:58am)

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

May 6, 2:42pm

Post #6 of 7 (1695 views)
Shortcut
No I haven't [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for letting me know! Smile

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Aug 30, 1:46am

Post #7 of 7 (312 views)
Shortcut
I'm a part of that, myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.