Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
**20FD : SPECIAL 20th / 10th Anniversaries Edition of TOLKIENIA TIMES

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26, 11:02pm

Post #1 of 18 (2821 views)
Shortcut
**20FD : SPECIAL 20th / 10th Anniversaries Edition of TOLKIENIA TIMES Can't Post

[Page 1]

The Forging of TheOneRing.net

TheOneRing.net was born 20 years ago today, April 26, 1999. TORn's beginning came from a simple interaction between two fans who met on a chat website. They discovered one lived in Canada (Xoanon) and the other in New Zealand (Tehanu) and they eventually found they were both Lord of the Rings fans. Sound familiar? When Tehanu talked about the filming that was going on in NZ and that she had already been gathering all of the information she could and was taking pictures of filming sites, a collaboration was launched.

They began to assemble every scrap of information Tehanu could spy out. Adding her photographs of filming sites taken during her many hikes and the interviews she gathered from anyone who may have heard or seen something—from local store owners to farmers in the field—it all made its way into their fledgling website. Soon, a web design wizard (Calisuri) stumbled onto the site and noticed it could use some tweaking. Would Xoanon and Tehanu like some technical help polishing the site and turning it into a central web location for other fans who were eager for any information on Peter Jackson's filming? Yes Please! Calisuri invited a friend to join the troop, a seriously talented network programmer (Corvar)—both Calisuri and Corvar are U.S. residents. Each brought talents and abilities that created a perfect balance. The site quickly grew as staffers were added, projects were started, conventions were invaded, and parties were thrown. In a few short months, TheOneRing.net was quickly becoming the go-to place for all things about J.R.R. Tolkien and Peter Jackson's films.

Continued on page 3.

Page 2

This Fellowship of Four's perseverance and quality very soon led to another collaboration between TORn and 3Foot6, Jackson's production company, with Weta coming close behind. The rest, as the tale goes, is history! This relationship became the springboard to a new level of appreciation and interaction between filmmakers and fans.

Within weeks of TORn splitting open the internet with its first Homepage news article, the Message Boards were launched and our Community took root and took off. Today, 20 years after TORn joined the evolution of Tolkien's world, there are over 13,900 registered users . . . members . . . siblings on those Message Boards, along with innumerable visitors who are so very welcome to enjoy our little corner of that world.

Within 3 years, TORn hosted its first Oscar Party in Hollywood, California, blocks away from where the actual Academy Awards were presented. We took control of the American Legion Hall and transformed it into a celebration of Middle-earth and Jackson's Lord of the Rings. Then we decorated ourselves in our best finery and costumes for The One Party as we filled the Hall and watched the Oscars broadcast live on the Big Screen! The mind-boggling evening really peaked when much of The Fellowship of the Rings' cast, crew, and filmmakers showed up at our Party—and many of them were able to stay! This incredible celebration was repeated the next year for The Two Towers; but the crescendo came on February 29, 2004 when The Return of the King swept all 11 Oscars and we were swept away when the Hall's stage was filled with our NZ collaborators—golden statues in tow. This dynamic team was now known throughout the world for making history as the creators of the first fantasy genre film to win Best Film and Best Director; the first time 3 films were made simultaneously; and the first time filmmakers and fans shared this epic experience together. They came directly from the Oscars to our little Party before going to New Line's Celebration; and here is where a beaming Peter promised us that The Hobbit was coming. The rafters shook with cheers, applause, and love.

What a world!

Behind all that has happened over the past 20 years, Tehanu, Xoanon, Calisuri and Corvar (and our remarkable Discussion Board Administrators) have kept us grounded and held to their pledge that TheOneRing.net will always be not-for-profit as it is run completely by volunteers; will never adapt to the "Hollywood" attitude; will always bring the news and events to the fans; will always support our Community by including those of us who call TORn home; and most of all, to uphold TheOneRing.net's motto:

FORGED BY AND FOR FANS OF JRR TOLKIEN

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26, 11:14pm

Post #2 of 18 (2796 views)
Shortcut
**20FD Tolkienia Times Special Edition part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Page 3
[[NOTE: Please forgive the poor attempt at getting this SPECIAL EDITION to format correctly. The creators of this TOLKIENIA TIMES had a great-looking paper, but I could not get it to load correctly for me here. HOWEVER, it's a fantastic edition... so have fun and enjoy their artful work! --gramma]]

Games and Events: a partial listing

Game title, description, and also time and place, when information is available.
Look on the boards when "TBA" is noted.

1. Guess the Founder: Which Founder Was It?
~~Right on P. 3 of this paper. Sure to test your mental mettle!

2. Bilbo's Spoons Scavenger Hunt
~~Nation of Tolkienia, beginning at the Train Station (see map at link, last [Supplement] page). Participants may begin at any time throughout the day, beginning at 8:00 A.M.
Bilbo's famous spoons were not all of a kind. Each one had an individual design, crafted in Erebor and Dale, and were given to Bilbo as a commemorative set. Each spoon handle is shaped in various forms, such as the Lonely Mountain, Smaug in flight, Smaug at rest, Bard's bow and arrow, Thorin's Hood, and many others. Exact replicas of Bilbo's set, copied with permission of Lobelia's heirs and crafted in genuine polished aluminum, have been hidden throughout Tolkienia. The contestant who recovers the most spoons will receive the key to the city and genuine Mithril flakes suspended in liquid in a 1-inch cylinder crafted from genuine crystal.
All contestants make keep the spoons they have recovered.

3. Six Subject Line Challenge
~~ In honour of our dear and much loved late board member, weaver. Date and location: TBA

4. Name Generators... so who are you?
~~Date and location: TBA

5. Pun Page
~~By Greenwood Hobbit. Date and location: TBA - from the old boards, a great sequence of Middle Earth puns from 2002/3.

6. Special Quiz
~~By the inestimable Squire. Check on Main or the Reading Room.
Exact date and location: TBA

7. Haiku Reading Event

8. Drabbles

FOUNDERS DAY GAME: Which Founder Was It?

So you think you know our Founders? Well, here's a bit of a quiz to test your knowledge
(or geekiness!) Answers will be posted soon.

At the time TORn was created:

1. Which Founder lived in Canada?

a) Calisuri
b) Xoanon
c) Corvar
d) Tehanu

2. Which Founder's work involved network/internet programming?

a) Calisuri
b) Xoanon
c) Corvar
d) Tehanu

3. Which Founder dressed as a well-known Elf?

a) Calisuri
b) Xoanon
c) Corvar
d) Tehanu

4. What musical instrument did Founder Tehanu play professionally?

a) Flute
b) Violin
c) Clarinet
d) French horn

5. Which Founder was the first to meet Peter Jackson?

a) Calisuri
b) Xoanon
c) Corvar
d) Tehanu

6. What style of website did our Founders follow when creating TORn?

a) TheForce.net [Star Wars]
b) Mugglenet.com [Harry Potter]
c) StarTrek.com [Star Trek]
d) dnd.wizards.com [Dungeons and Dragons]

7. Which Founder is the most "behind the scenes" and is our secret weapon?

a) Calisuri
b) Xoanon
c) Corvar
d) Tehanu

8. Which Founder has his name on a seat plaque at the Embassy Theatre in Wellington, NZ?

a) Calisuri
b) Xoanon
c) Corvar
d) Tehanu

* Extra credit: what was the seat number? ______

9. Which Founder is the keeper of the business side of TORn?

a) Calisuri
b) Xoanon
c) Corvar
d) Tehanu

10. Which Founder is an avid hiker and lover of the outdoors? (Very Bilbo-esque!)

a) Calisuri
b) Xoanon
c) Corvar
d) Tehanu

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 26, 11:21pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26, 11:31pm

Post #3 of 18 (2788 views)
Shortcut
**20FD Tolkienia Times Special Edition part 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Home and Living

Founders Day recipes

Submitted by grammaboodawg

Mrs. Cotton's Hearty Meat and Vegetable Stew

The wonderful thing about hobbity cooking is how versatile it is. With this recipe, you can enjoy a Vegetable Stew (see below), or change it up to a Beef; Chicken; Pork; Seafood; Veal; Coneys.... any type of meat you prefer. The basic recipe is the same. Leave out the meat to keep it as a Vegetable Stew.

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons lard [or bacon drippings for meat]
1 medium yellow onion, cut up
1 small broccoli, cut up
1 medium carrot, cut up
1 stalk celery, cut up
2 large mushrooms, cut up
1-2 large potatoes, cut into cubes
1 small green bell pepper cut into cubes
1 zucchini cut into cubes
1-2 large tomatoes cut into cubes
1 small clove garlic, smushed (optional)
1 medium parsnip, cut up (optional)
1 medium turnip, cut up (optional)
1 small cauliflower, cut up (optional)
3/4 cup vegetable broth or water
1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)

Muggle additives:
2 teaspoons olive oil instead of lard
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon cilantro
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 1/2- ounce) can diced tomatoes

INSTRUCTIONS

Vegetable Stew
Heat lard in large pot or kettle. Add all vegetables except for tomatoes. Fry for 10 minutes until tender.
Add tomatoes and broth [and garbanzo beans]. Add salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 10-30 minutes until vegetables are tender. The larger the chunks, the longer it will need to cook. Serve immediately. Great with fresh-baked bread.

Meat Stew:
1 small chicken; coney; (2) fish
2-4 cups beef; pork; veal [cut into cubes]; shrimp
The first step of this stew is to fry/brown the meat in a kettle/pot on a medium to medium-high heat with the onion & garlic. Put the garlic in after the meat is almost browned... it cooks faster than the onion and could burn.
The chicken and coney should be boiled in water in that kettle to tenderize it and easily remove the meat from the bones. After the meat is cooked, remove from the stock/water and let cool to touch. De-bone the meat and cut into cubes. Pour the cooled stock into a separate container and use the kettle to fry/brown the cut meat with the onion & garlic.
Pour the stock back into the kettle. Add enough stock & water to cover the meat/vegetables and increase the heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium/medium low so it bubbles slowly. Cover and keep enough fluid in the pot to maintain level with or just below the top of the contents. Veggies will be done in about 10-15 minutes; meat should be cooked for at least 1 to 1 ½ hrs to tenderize the meat and blend the flavours. You're done!
**If you want to make gravy in the Stew, put about 1-2 tbsp of flour or cornstarch in a jar, add ½-1 cup of water, cover with a lid and shake vigorously until the powder is dissolved, making a roux. Slowly pour about half into your Stew while slowly stirring. Let cook for about 5 mins on a low heat and add more of the roux until the gravy is to desired thickness. Now you're really done!

Sam's Easy No-Knead PAN BREAD

This recipe only calls for 4 main ingredients: flour, water, yeast and salt! Mix the ingredients together, place in a cast-iron pan and let the dough rise right in the pan so the yeast can activate and feed for a while making it rise, and then bake. That’s it! These humble and easy ingredients result in such a beautiful and comforting food.
There is really only 1 thing you need to know: Yeast likes warm temperatures, but not hot temps! Your water should be slightly warmer than body temperature. So test the water with your finger and keep it warm to the touch. Heat kills the yeast and the bread won't rise. But other than that, this no knead pan bread is virtually fool proof!
Add your favourite herbs to the ingredients (i.e. dill, rosemary, garlic & onion) and/or olives, nuts, roasted garlic, or anything your heart desires!

Ingredients
2 cups lukewarm water
1/2 tbsp salt (for Muggles: Morton kosher salt )
4 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 package active dry yeast
olive oil
rosemary (optional)

Instructions
Combine yeast and warm water in a large bowl or pitcher.
Using a wooden spoon, add in 1 cup of the flour and then the salt and mix until combined. Stir in the rest of the flour, one cup at a time, until completely incorporated.
Cover loosely with plastic wrap or cover with a lid that is not shut completely. Allow to rise for 1 hour.
Do not punch down the dough. Lightly oil the bottom of the cast-iron pan (a 10" or 12" cast-iron skillet works well).
Sprinkle a good amount of flour on top of the dough and then cover your hands with flour. Lift up the lump of dough and shape into a disk (it will be sticky!)
Place in the skillet, cover loosely with a towel, and allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
Drizzle a little more oil over the top of the bread, and slice the top of the dough with a knife creating an X. Optional: Sprinkle with coarse salt and rosemary leaves.
Bake for 35-40 minutes until the top is a deep brown color.

Amount Per Serving: Calories: 98
Yield: 1- 10" or 12" Loaf
Prep Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26, 11:37pm

Post #4 of 18 (2786 views)
Shortcut
**20FD Tolkienia Times Special Edition part 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

TheTTIMES, From TIMES Past

Celebrations Around Middle-earth: Answers from the Hall of Fire
Submitted by Staff Reporter Brethil, 22014

On assignment this week, I stopped by Rivendell's Hall of Fire to check in on the 60th Anniversary Publishing celebration. The Tolkienia Times had reliable word that events were planned around the Jubilee date, and we wanted to give you in Tolkienia the story first.

First, I ran into the brothers Elladan and Elrohir.

Times: So what are you two doing to celebrate tonight, Elladan?

Elf prince: I am Elrohir.

Times: Oh, I'm sorry. Elrohir, what are your plans tonight?

Elf prince: You must ask my brother.

Times: Your plans Elladan?

Elf prince: I am Elrohir.

Times: Ah, Elrohir. As I was saying...

Elf prince: Weren't you asking me?

Other Elf prince: I think she was asking me.

Times: Can I get some wine please?

Bilbo Baggins was also on hand for the event.

Times: Good to see you, Mr. Baggins.

Bilbo: Yes, yes, you as well. I wonder where the wine steward ended up at last?

Times: 'Not all who wonder are last'. Haha.

Bilbo: Don't quit your day job.

Some while later I met up with Elrond Half-Elven, the lord of Rivendell, to ask him some questions.

Times: Lord Elrond, how do you feel about sailing West some day?

Elrond: Joyous and sad.

Times: What do you think about JRRT sharing your story with the world-at-large?

Elrond: It is difficult to say.

Times: Elves and dragons, or cabbages and potatoes?

Elrond: Certainly one of them.

Times: Is the ladies room that way?

Elrond: Yes and no.

That about sums it up for reporters who go questing after Elves. Thanks all, and happy 60th.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nerdsnorts
by Dame Ioreth, 2014

Chemistry Puns? I'm in my element!
Do you know any jokes about Sodium? Na.
I wanted to make a clever chemistry joke, but the best ones Argon.
What do you do with a dead chemist? Barium
Argon walks into a bar. The Barman says "Get out! We don't serve noble gases here!" Argon doesn't react.

I put my root beer in a square mug and now it's beer!

Knock Knock.
Who's there?
To.
To Who.
No no no. To Whom.

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar at the same time. It was tense.

Rene Descartes was drinking some beer in a bar and the barman asked "Would you like another?" Descarte answered "I think not. Wait.. no... Wait, oh nooooooo..."

LOTR version of the glass is half full:
Optimists think the glass is half full.
Pessimists think the glass is half empty.
Engineers think the glass is twice the size it needs to be.
Surrealists think the glass is half a slowly rotting lemon.
Hobbits ask if that's a pint glass.
Dwarves demand to know who drank the other half of their beer.
Bilbo thinks the mugs of half of you are half as full as he should like; and I like less than half of you are half as full as you deserve.

SUPPLEMENT: Founders Day Tolkienian Events
Ticket and Information

Ride in luxury in the famous Bilbo Baggins section, specially reserved for our Founders Day guests.

For Bilbo's Spoons Scavenger Hunt participants: full size printable map of Tolkienia, at the following link.
Hunt begins at the Station (Pictured below):

Hunt begins at the Station (Pictured below):

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 26, 11:44pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 26, 11:57pm

Post #5 of 18 (2786 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much gramma! A truly heroic effort, in the face [In reply to] Can't Post

of Saruman's machinations and Sauron's interference (why else would those frames "randomly" jump around like that!).
It looks great, and I'm itching (drooling) to try those recipes!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 26, 11:58pm

Post #6 of 18 (2774 views)
Shortcut
Note to Guess the Founders players: post your answers in reply to this Part 2 of the paper.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 27, 12:13am

Post #7 of 18 (2776 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's Spoon Hunt also availble on the boards! If you cannot travel to Tolkienia, simply [In reply to] Can't Post

go to the map link, and write down the locations where you believe spoons may be hidden. Use the Palantir below to peer into each of your chosen location, and be sure to describe the handle of any spoons you locate by this method.

Post your results in replies to this part 2 page of the paper.
A duplicate (virtual) prize will be awarded to the board member finding the most spoons. Unfortunately, board participants will not be able to keep the spoons they spot; but virtual plastic replicas may be available on next week's Fiesta Friday (if the supplier comes through in time).
Hunt away, and may the best sleuth win!Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27, 3:21am

Post #8 of 18 (2777 views)
Shortcut
Indeed it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

There was obviously some "dark magic" interfering with the original layout of the Times - but you managed to get it all posted, and it did come out well!

(I wonder how many here got that Descartes joke? Laugh)

Tomorrow I shall have to start exploring for some Spoons...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 27, 3:39am

Post #9 of 18 (2770 views)
Shortcut
I think most get Descarte before the horse. [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27, 12:15pm

Post #10 of 18 (2732 views)
Shortcut
*massive hugs* You did such a brilliant job!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was so bummed we couldn't give the Times its proper home *sigh* But it's like eating broken cookies... they still taste SO GOOD! Thanks :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27, 12:17pm

Post #11 of 18 (2731 views)
Shortcut
Are you positive? [In reply to] Can't Post

Better check, you may have lost an electron...Angelic

(I know, that was bad! I seem to recall some of us posting a ton of physics/chemistry jokes after that issue came out...Tongue)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27, 12:21pm

Post #12 of 18 (2732 views)
Shortcut
Not "broken" [In reply to] Can't Post

Just "rearranged"! Smile

Word-processing programs get updated, and then make a mess of documents created in the older versions. But you managed to keep everything in there! High five, gramma! Cool

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 28, 12:40am

Post #13 of 18 (2677 views)
Shortcut
Horrors! I thought there was no [In reply to] Can't Post

politics on the boards now!ShockedEvil But I didn't lose an Electron because I wasn't running for precedent. Angelic

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 28, 5:35pm

Post #14 of 18 (2661 views)
Shortcut
Just published on Off-Topic: Special Founders Pic! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have been given special permission to also publish the link in the Times.
So without further comment:
https://imgur.com/a/VM37YkU

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 28, 7:28pm

Post #15 of 18 (2651 views)
Shortcut
And you know that you can't be [In reply to] Can't Post

...running away from a precedent, either!

Wink

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 29, 12:41pm

Post #16 of 18 (2578 views)
Shortcut
Quiz answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Testing my short-term memory, are you? Oh, so easy. Wait, who are you, and what am I doing here?

Anyway:
1. Which Founder lived in Canada? --- b) Xoanon
2. Which Founder's work involved network/internet programming? --- c) Corvar (I think; Calisuri worked on web design, right?)
3. Which Founder dressed as a well-known Elf? --- IDK
4. What musical instrument did Founder Tehanu play professionally? --- Dang, I missed this one too.
5. Which Founder was the first to meet Peter Jackson? --- d) Tehanu
6. What style of website did our Founders follow when creating TORn? --- Now I've missed three.
7. Which Founder is the most "behind the scenes" and is our secret weapon? --- c) Corvar? But secret weapons should be kept, you know, secret, shouldn't they? Tongue
8, 9, 10: I missed these too.

OK, so I think I got four right. Need to brush up on my reading retention, but thanks for the quiz!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 29, 12:42pm

Post #17 of 18 (2573 views)
Shortcut
Good pun. But I had to really think about the Descartes joke, and I'm still not sure I am. // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 30, 11:38am

Post #18 of 18 (2564 views)
Shortcut
ANSWERS to Which Founder Was It? game [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you VERY MUCH for playing :D Happy Anniversaries!

Which Founder Was It?

ANSWERS:

1. Which Founder lived in Canada?
Xoanon

2. Which Founder's work involved network/internet programming?
Corvar

3. Which Founder dressed as a well-known Elf?
Calisuri

4. What musical instrument did Founder Tehanu play professionally?
French horn

5. Which Founder was the first to meet Peter Jackson?
Tehanu

6. What style of website did our Founders follow when creating TORn?
TheForce.net [Star Wars]

7. Which Founder is the most "behind the scenes" and is our secret weapon?
Corvar

8. Which Founder has his name on a seat plaque at the Embassy Theatre in Wellington, NZ?
Xoanon -W35

9. Which Founder is the keeper of the business side of TORn?
Calisuri

10. Which Founder is an avid hiker and lover of the outdoors? (very Bilbo-esque :)
Tehanu

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 30, 11:39am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.