Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Now here's an Easter-egg of special magnificence:

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 20, 10:13pm

Post #1 of 14 (2486 views)
Shortcut
Now here's an Easter-egg of special magnificence: Can't Post

A never-before-seen photo of Eowyn and Faramir in their wedding attire!

Miranda Otto has posted it to her Instagram account. Doesn't her dress look an awful lot like Galadriel's, back when the Fellowship were in Lothlorien?

And am I imagining it, or is Faramir's 'circlet' based on the design of Gondor?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Solicitr
Rohan

Apr 21, 12:12am

Post #2 of 14 (2432 views)
Shortcut
I always did [In reply to] Can't Post

wonder why the movies' Crown of Gondor was nothing like the one Tolkien described.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Apr 21, 3:37pm

Post #3 of 14 (2352 views)
Shortcut
Those outfits are beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for sharing - I've always been so angry that they left out the wedding scene.

"We are Kree"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 21, 4:42pm

Post #4 of 14 (2346 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...side-stories often receive the short end of the stick in adaptations. There is also the short-cut of having Arwen present at Aragorn's coronation. And weren't the Hobbits honored there instead of at a separate, earlier ceremony?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

Solicitr
Rohan

Apr 21, 8:57pm

Post #5 of 14 (2323 views)
Shortcut
Yes- [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...And weren't the Hobbits honored there instead of at a separate, earlier ceremony?

and, oddly, it was all four, rather than just Frodo and Sam

(This post was edited by Solicitr on Apr 21, 8:57pm)

Chen G.
Rohan

Apr 21, 11:15pm

Post #6 of 14 (2299 views)
Shortcut
Amalgamation [In reply to] Can't Post

Its a case of one sequence in the film being an amalgam of many sequences on the page.

Its only one of several tools required to adapt a novel, which can be classified as one of the following:

1. Abridging: making something from the source material shorter and more streamlined. That's typically the main course of action, given the length of a book compared to the brevity of a motion picture. The most prominent use of it here is with the early parts of the narrative in The Shire and Bree.

2. Cutting: outright removal of entire sequences and setpieces, in this case the most prominent example being Tom Bombadill.

3. Embellishing: Adding to an existing sequence. While its not as common, its just as inherent to the process of adaptation as anything else is. The most prominent use of it in these films is in the action sequences, being that they're action films.

4. Creating: Generating new sequences, characters and storylines from scratch. You see it in the likes of Lurtz, the Westfold children, Tauriel, etcetra. This also includes taking different choices to the plot, which these films don't do in with any of the major plot points.

5. Shuffling: Another highly valuable method is to move something which doesn't work at one place in the narrative into another spot where it may function better. Happens a lot in The Two Towers, which features a Warg attack (which on the page happens in The Fellowship of the Ring), an encounter with a wight in the Marshes and with Old-man Willow in Fangorn.

6. Amalgamating: Amalgams are another common choice for adaptations. In Lawrence of Arabia, almost every character is an amalgam of several which appear in T. E. Lawrence's autobiography. In these films, it happens with some sequences lik the coronation, uniting several beats which in the corresponding episode of the book, happen sequentially over a period of time.

7. Inteperating has more to do with the themes of the story. These films rarely temper with those, but they do infuse a patriotic subtext to the motivations of characters like Boromir and Thorin, and provide commentary on isolationism with the likes of Thranduil and Theoden, which aren't pronounced in the books.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Apr 21, 11:19pm)

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Apr 22, 1:49am

Post #7 of 14 (2288 views)
Shortcut
Oh! [In reply to] Can't Post

i saw this on pinterest but didnt realize it was a never-before-seen photo!

i was just very pleased because they are my hands-down favourite couple in middle earth and theres rather a lack of photos of the two of them together

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 22, 4:12am

Post #8 of 14 (2271 views)
Shortcut
Interpretations [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson's Lord of the Rings films also reinterprets Aragorn and his motives, giving him more self-doubt early on and not having him commit to the goal of ruling the Reunited Kingdoms until fairly late in the narrative.

The cutting of Tom Bombadil also led to eliminating the Barrow-downs sequence (we can debate whether the entity that Frodo encounters in the Dead Marshes is a Wight or some form of spectre--I lean towards the latter). And while Frodo does see a vision of the desolation of the Shire in the mirror of Galadriel, that is a poor substitute for the scouring of the Shire from the book with wrongs righted by the returning companions.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 22, 4:13am)

Chen G.
Rohan

Apr 22, 4:43am

Post #9 of 14 (2266 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

but I was talking specifically about changing the work's themes, which rarely happened in these films. Changing character - that always happens. Look at Jurassic Park: John Hammond is much more of a corporate ar$ehole in the book - not so much in the movie. Look at the source of evil in The Shining, too.

The Scouring of the Shire is very important to the narrative of The Lord of the Rings, but I can't for the life of me see it fitting it. I do think it would have been nice to establish that The Shire was under some distress and that The Hobbits returning at least gained some renown, but its really a quibble.

Silmaril
Rohan

Apr 23, 11:33am

Post #10 of 14 (2134 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love such stuff! I hope that some day there will be a LOTR DVD with all the deleted scenes, bloopers and more behind-the-scenes stuff!!! Heart

Mari D.
Rivendell

Apr 23, 2:36pm

Post #11 of 14 (2118 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this list ... I like informative and logical lists :-). / [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 25, 1:19pm

Post #12 of 14 (2020 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, after all these years, it is *so* amazing to finally see this photo! There was talk of it, people said it existed, but never was it seen, until now!!
And may I say, ...her dress!!!!! Wowzer! It is as beautiful as they said and maybe more. I've included a link and this quote from one of our past "Did You Ever Notice..." Costuming discussions by Arwen's Daughter:

There was no image ever seen, not even a sketch, for Eowyn's wedding dress. I think that we know it was beaded from a set report, but that could be mistaken. And Ngila said it was one of her favorite dresses Crazy. That's literally all that we know.

Yes!!! The beading! Exquisite Evil.

Did You Ever Notice ....

Thanks so much, Ataahua!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 25, 8:58pm

Post #13 of 14 (1979 views)
Shortcut
I've been waiting 15 years to see this dress [In reply to] Can't Post

...and it's gorgeous!

I thought of Galadriel right away too!

It looks like the dressed Eowyn in silk for her wedding day, which is something the usually reserved for the elves and Gondorians. I wonder if it was meant to symbolize her move to Gondor or if it was a gift from the elves?

I'm just glad we've finally seen it!

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 25, 9:30pm

Post #14 of 14 (1969 views)
Shortcut
I thought of you as soon as I saw the pic. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.