General opinion
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Chen G.
Gondor

Jun 1 2019, 7:48pm

Post #76 of 83 (2638 views)
Shortcut
The new Star Wars films [In reply to] Can't Post

Outside of Solo, perhaps, are all handily better than Return of the Jedi.

Handily.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Jun 2 2019, 5:42pm

Post #77 of 83 (2507 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to disagree. Better than TH movies, perhaps, but not RotJ..

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jun 3 2019, 12:15am

Post #78 of 83 (2493 views)
Shortcut
Each film has things I love and other things not so much (anywhere PJ excesses rear their head) [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked the beginning of AUJ.....the trolls meh but a key part of the book....Stone Giants...way overdone.....Goblin Town guilty of massive excess though the Gollum scenes were terrific...rabbit sleds etc.. The ending of the film on the trees was just ok. 3.5 / 5

DOS....I think overall it may be the best. It too has some excesses.....the ridiculous Barrel Riding scenes. But overall, even with the dragon chase excesses it feels the most complete. 3.9/5

BOFA - really had high hopes and I liked the Dol Guldur scenes though I wish they have not made Galadriel go from confident to scared before exerting herself. I liked Thranduil and much of the Erebor scenes though there were some excesses. The battle itself was not what I hoped for.....besides over the top the change in tactics and the ice chasing just seemed pushing it. But, I recall I still liked it quite a bit on immediate reaction though subsequent viewings have not helped - true for all of them. 3.7/5

Chen G.
Gondor

Jun 3 2019, 7:50am

Post #79 of 83 (2455 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'll have to disagree. Better than TH movies, perhaps, but not RotJ..

Return of the Jedi is not a bad film, but its not terribly good by any means. It has one or two excellent, stirring and poetic moments with Luke and Vader and...that's about it.

Revenge of the Sith is a better film. In terms of action setpieces, The Phantom Menace is more impressive. Marquand is not an action director.

I'll take either of the three Hobbit films over Return of the Jedi any day of the week.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Jun 3 2019, 7:55am)

Solicitr
Gondor

Jun 3 2019, 9:31pm

Post #80 of 83 (2365 views)
Shortcut
Erm [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting stories, often-engaging characters

Mm-hm.

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Jun 4 2019, 2:45pm

Post #81 of 83 (2223 views)
Shortcut
That... [In reply to] Can't Post

was some nice argumentation if ever there was one! Wink

haarp
Rivendell

Jul 3 2019, 6:28pm

Post #82 of 83 (937 views)
Shortcut
Not as good as LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ - in terms of being close to the LOTR feel it is the best, less CGI, more focus on Bilbo and the Dwarves. Reminicsent of Fellowship. 7.5/10

DOS - Second best, drags on in parts and starts to get very cartoony and ridiculous. Mirkwood and Smaug scenes make this middle part worth watching, but this is a far cry from LOTR. 7/10

BOTFA - Too much CGI and goofy stunts, unnecessary and bloated storylines. It's like Peter Jackson didn't realize if you keep creating 'in the nick of time life saves' for characters then as an audience you lose any sense of dread for them, you know the characters will survive and when it is time for them to die you will know well in advance. It tried too hard to be 'epic' for the sake of it. 6/10

(This post was edited by haarp on Jul 3 2019, 6:33pm)

Chen G.
Gondor

Jul 3 2019, 9:51pm

Post #83 of 83 (913 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see An Unexpected Journey as "closest to The Lord of the Rings". Its much lighter than those films ever were. Enjoyably so, of course, but still.

I also don't view these films as "epic for the sake of it." The fact of the matter is that the story of The Hobbit is friggin' enormous. It encompasses a journey the length of continental Europe from west to east and back again and lasts thirteen months, a backstory of two centuries, many characters, a huge battle, and it culminates in the recreation of two nations (Dale and Erebor) and the decimation of another (The Orcs of the Misty Mountains).

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.