Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
April 9: what have you been watching lately?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 9, 5:23pm

Post #1 of 6 (242 views)
Shortcut
April 9: what have you been watching lately? Can't Post

I watched Season/Series 3 of The Tunnel, a cop show where the crimes occur in the Calais/Dover/Eurotunnel area as a means of forcing British and French police to work together to solve them. I enjoyed the 1st season a lot--good suspense and character development, even of minor characters. Season 2 wasn't quite as strong, and the 3rd was pretty uneven, so I was glad it ended where it did.

I also rewatched the first Avengers movie (2012), and this is certainly not the first rewatch, but I notice new things each time, such as a guy in the command center of the flying aircraft carrier who's called out for playing video games on his monitor instead of helping keep the Earth safe. At the same time, I was reminded you can't put too much thought into action movies, because the premise of the big battle in Manhattan is that aliens are smashing windows and blowing up taxi cabs, which as planetary invasions go, seems more nuisance than anything.
Aliens: "Surrender, Planet Earth, for we have destroyed the yellow taxis in one of your cities, and we will do the same to the next city, crippling your ability to resist us!"

Earth: "Ha ha ha, we will never surrender, because we also have Uber and Lyft and other ride-sharing apps using unmarked cars, so we can still get rides to restaurants and the airport, and we will thus resist you forever."

Aliens: "Curses! Foiled again."

Please tell us what you've been watching lately.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 10, 4:09pm

Post #2 of 6 (139 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wrote a blogpost once about how we seem to have this desire to see our cities destroyed in our movies. Godzilla always comes ashore right in the middle of Tokyo or Manhattan, never Newfoundland or some desolate stretch of beach in Africa. One thing I liked about Arrival, among many, is that the alien ships showed up in random places like an isolated valley in Montana.

I continue to be gobsmacked by The Magicians and Star Trek: Discovery, which just get better each episode. High King (deposed) Margo is my new go-to heroine. And Captain Pike my go-to hero. Broke my heart, both of them, in the last episodes. We know that we have to let Pike go back to the Enterprise and on to the fate that he now knows lies before him and we have known all along, but . . . count me among those calling for a spinoff with Pike, young Spock, and Number One.

For a break from all that intensity, I've watched the first two episodes of What We Do in the Shadows, Jemaine Clement's new TV series building on the film. Hilarious. The energy vampire guy is brilliant and creepy. And I'm loving the rebooted Project Runway with Christian Siriano and Karli Kloss.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 10, 4:26pm

Post #3 of 6 (137 views)
Shortcut
Good point about Arrival's locations [In reply to] Can't Post

There was something eerie about how those ships showed up all around the world and no one could find a pattern to their chosen locations, except a far-fetched one. There was certainly nothing strategic about them. It made the aliens that much more intriguing.

It is just too dang cliche for aliens to attack NYC, but I guess that's what movie audiences want. On the other hand, I have to admit the first Thor movie was pretty boring because they chose a little town to fight over, and I didn't care what happened to it (and I grew up in a similar small town in the US West). But I don't think it was pure geography at fault; the movie did nothing to give the town a personality, nor were any of the principal characters from there, so there was no perceived value to be lost. You don't have to work hard to make Manhattan a worthy battleground: all those big buildings instantly convey a sense of wealth, power, construction cost, lots of people inside them, etc.

Re: Margo in The Magicians. I almost feel like one of those protected witnesses making a confession on TV who are shown in silhouette with their voices disguised by a computer when I admit to liking her as the series go on, because I found her so annoying at the beginning. That's a tricky thing to do in story telling: make a character change without totally losing the original character's identity, but they pulled it off.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Apr 15, 4:09pm

Post #4 of 6 (99 views)
Shortcut
I'm watching... [In reply to] Can't Post

Umbrella Academy on Netflix: watched four episodes last night, during a heavy thunderstorm that I couldn't sleep through, and loved every moment of it. Robert Sheehan especially delivers an incredible performance. Also, watched Unicorn Store, the directorial debut of Brie Larson, and mildly enjoyed it: it had a lot of flaws, mainly to do with the whole third act falling apart. The humor was spot on, though, and Joan Cusack was wonderful in it.

"We are Kree"

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 16, 12:55pm

Post #5 of 6 (76 views)
Shortcut
Glad you're enjoying "Umbrella Academy" [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched it all the the way through and enjoyed parts of it, but felt it was bit uneven. Or maybe I should say, "It could have been better."

I liked the Klaus character as time went on, and most of the characters seem to have more potential, in case it's renewed, so keeping my fingers crossed. It was actually some of the lesser characters that I liked most: the well-dressed lady who represents whatever the Mystery Organization is, and the two assassins.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Apr 16, 2:38pm

Post #6 of 6 (68 views)
Shortcut
Yes indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

The characters of Hazel and Cha-Cha were wonderful, and the Handler was fantastic, but I do think that Klaus really stole the show.

"We are Kree"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.