Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
The LOTR Caption Contest CXCIX

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 8, 12:56am

Post #1 of 13 (1172 views)
Shortcut
The LOTR Caption Contest CXCIX Can't Post

We've covered a lot of territory in Middle-earth since the inestimable Black Fox started us on this journey. Cheers, Foxy! Smile And cheers to you, too, Alveric!

This particular Gondorian beacon guard is actually a man of many talents. Still rivers run deep. What could he be contemplating of his past, present or future in this shot?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 8, 1:39am

Post #2 of 13 (1118 views)
Shortcut
"I don't remember 'Fight off invading orcs as required' being in my Storyboard Supervisor employment contract." / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 9, 2:03am

Post #3 of 13 (1024 views)
Shortcut
"The Enemy is firing catapults. It doesn't look like boulders… Oh my God! They're turkeys! They're crashing to the pavement right in front of our eyes! This is terrible! Oh, the humanity!" // [In reply to] Can't Post

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 9, 1:02pm

Post #4 of 13 (992 views)
Shortcut
Mods up! [In reply to] Can't Post

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

Belegdir
Lorien

Apr 9, 3:11pm

Post #5 of 13 (979 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! Dude! Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K Minas Tirith. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 9, 7:08pm

Post #6 of 13 (955 views)
Shortcut
*snert* :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 9, 9:17pm

Post #7 of 13 (942 views)
Shortcut
I'm never smokin' kingsfoil again! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

Alveric
Rivendell

Apr 10, 4:21pm

Post #8 of 13 (867 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! That's Viserion! Or, no, hang on, it's Faranth! I think. Norberta? Maybe Saphira..? [In reply to] Can't Post

... plus, I never knew there were dragons in Narnia!

hanne
Lorien

Apr 10, 8:17pm

Post #9 of 13 (851 views)
Shortcut
I could catch the little guy on the beacon, I know I could...if my armor wasn't preventing me from moving my arms, *Denethor*. Grr. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Solicitr
Lorien

Apr 10, 8:32pm

Post #10 of 13 (858 views)
Shortcut
in general [In reply to] Can't Post

Movie Gondorians are portrayed as incompetent idiots. Incompetent idiot extras, since not one gets a speaking part other than Denethor and his sons.* No common man, no Beregond or The Boys In Charlie Company or Ioreth or anyone- just cannon-fodder, and screaming panicky civilians (who shouldn't be there anyway.)

But I guess it makes sense that Gondorian troops have all the substance of videogame mooks, since bundles of pixels are the only people you could get up there to light those absurd mountaintop beacons!

*And Faramir's deputy, Captain Obvious.

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Apr 12, 11:16am

Post #11 of 13 (712 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with literally EVERYTHING you said on this post.

Solicitr
Lorien

Apr 12, 2:17pm

Post #12 of 13 (693 views)
Shortcut
The final insult [In reply to] Can't Post

after erasing the heroic "out-companies" of Forlong and Imrahil, and the twins who took down the Mumakil suicidally but realistically (as opposed to movie-Rohirrim charging them with horses(!), is that the "great valour" of the men of Lebennin that turn the tide of battle are dropped in favor of Green Scrubbing Bubbles, a climax to the great Battle of the Pelennor Fields as un-compelling as Mass Effect 3's Instagram-filter ending.

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Apr 13, 12:29pm

Post #13 of 13 (617 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

Another gem from you!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.