The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Star Trek captains.

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 13 2019, 5:05am

Post #1 of 11 (81404 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek captains. Can't Post

I'm going to Wellygeddon 2019 convention tomorrow. Getting primed.

So, who wins the trophy for the Great One of the many stellar Federation starship captains? Who would outshine all the others in "The Best Captain I Ever Served With" contest?
You choose the criteria: mental, physical, emotional, sense of humour, most quotable, choice of beverage......

I'll leave you to it. I've gotta find my communicator badge.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 12 2019, 1:39am

Post #2 of 11 (75861 views)
Shortcut
The no-win scenario . . . well . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Cadet James T. Kirk was the first (only?) Star Fleet cadet to defeat the Kobayashi Maru test, (a no-win scenario).

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12 2019, 1:46am

Post #3 of 11 (75857 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, but he cheated. [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I'll vote for Picard, who succeeded in the greatest challenge of them all: becoming the next television captain of the Enterprise when a lot of voices where saying "Why re-invent a good thing?" "Why set up a Next Generation?" "How can a new Star Trek possibly have the camaraderie and rapport and fun of the original?"

Patrick Stewart didn't even unpack his bags for a while, so unsure was he of how it would all turn out. Especially with all the "wouldn't they have done something about baldness by that time" jokes.

Stewart/Picard wins. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 12 2019, 4:24am

Post #4 of 11 (75843 views)
Shortcut
Technically, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

But he never admitted cheating, only ‘changing the scenario’. I’m not sure if he was ever chastised by his superiors for his thinking out-of-the-box.

And I DO love Capt. Picard and the gang. But I never felt the deep camaraderie in Next Generation that was rampant in the original. E.g. Picard, Riker, & Crusher vs Kirk, Spock, & McCoy.

Yes, Picard was fantastic as Captain. He picked up the ball and ran with it very well, thank you very much. As hokey as it is to us now, I reckon that I would keep the original series if I had to give up one or the other. (By a very slim margin.)

Nod to Shatner/Kirk

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 12 2019, 4:27am

Post #5 of 11 (75842 views)
Shortcut
Data: "Captain, sensors show nothing out there. Absolutely nothing." [In reply to] Can't Post

Not so, Data!

Uhura: "What happened?"
Spock: "The occipital area of my head seems to have impacted with the chair."

As did mine! Laugh A warm welcome to the three-month anniversary of this thread, BG and dernwyn.

Spock: "You may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. This is not logical, but it is often true."
Perhaps, Mr. Spock, but not in this case.
Wink
Cheers, folks!

And to answer my own question:
I would find Kirk's "gut-driven, seat of his pants, isn't it fun breaking the rules" command style fun, perhaps, but too unnerving.
I'd rather serve with Picard and his "get as much intel as possible including insight from my very talented crew, make a reasoned decision based on all that - but be prepared to make a quick, intelligent, one-man decision for anything else that arises because I've had lots of weird experiences already in my long career" style.

And he's coming back! Yay! Who'd o believed it?!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12 2019, 4:16pm

Post #6 of 11 (75793 views)
Shortcut
He is? [In reply to] Can't Post

*checks online* On the CBS All-Access channel...another of the pay-for-views...that's why I've not seen Discovery yet. Unsure

I could probably pay the $6 for one month, and binge on the older shows. Have you seen the Discovery series?

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 12 2019, 6:59pm

Post #7 of 11 (75782 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek: Picard, his own series later this year! [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-picard/ How cool is that!

ST: Discovery I've only just seen this week - bought Season 1 on DVD and binge watched it. Will get Season 2 soon. (I don't stream things either Evil.) I enjoyed the characters and idea for the most part. It is darker than the older series in violence and actual lighting, like everything that is made these days it seems to me.Wink It happens ten years before TOS. As a refresher this article gives some of the references to past story lines they incorporate. https://intl.startrek.com/...er-watched-star-trek

I'm looking forward to Captain Pike in S2 after reading this:
https://intl.startrek.com/...ture-discovery-needs There are lots of videos and articles there to get you interested.

Picard!
Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 14 2019, 12:04pm

Post #8 of 11 (75611 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for these links! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like I've got some good reading to do! Smile

So that's why Spock has a beard - he's not at the TOS stage yet. Fascinating. Wink

Hasuwandil
Lorien

Jul 15 2019, 3:15pm

Post #9 of 11 (75495 views)
Shortcut
The Sea-wains of Westernesse [In reply to] Can't Post

Belegaer: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Númenórean ship Palarran. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new lands. To seek out new creatures and new kingdoms. To boldly go where no Dúnadan has gone before!

Apart from Aldarion, I think Sisko is the captain I like best, but I'm not sure I have an objective measure to say why. I agree that Picard probably had the most stable/steady personality of them all, but that didn't stop random crew members from getting fused into decks, or having their blood turned into liquid polymer by subspace beings. I think I'd rather take my chances in an all-out war with Sisko (or Worf) at the helm.

Hêlâ Aurwandil, angilô berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2019, 12:31pm

Post #10 of 11 (74265 views)
Shortcut
That sounds like a great premise for a TV series! [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

I liked Sisko too, he'd probably be my second choice. Glad they let him go bald, it suited him much better. Nothin' wrong with bald captains! Laugh

Omnigeek
Lorien

Apr 18 2020, 2:05pm

Post #11 of 11 (49843 views)
Shortcut
Long debate [In reply to] Can't Post

This has been a long debate but Patrick Stewart has taken Picard out of the running with that abomination "Star Trek Picard" which pretty much up-ends everything that Star Trek was about when Roddenberry created it. Prior to STP, I'd have ranked Picard as #2 or #3 in the pantheon of Star Trek captains but now I'd put him below Janeway.
Jar Jar Abrams is the one who set up Kirk cheating the Kobayashi Maru. In ST2:TWOK, he changed the conditions so it was possible to win and even got a commendation for original thinking. We don't know how he did that but it's hardly likely he would have been commended if Starfleet thought he cheated.
My list at the moment (based on demonstrated command abilities) would go something like this:
  1. Kirk
  2. Sisko
  3. Pike
  4. April
  5. Spock
  6. Sulu
  7. Garrett
  8. Riker
  9. Decker (Matt)
  10. Archer
  11. Decker (Will)
  12. Janeway

13. Picard
  14. Anyone associated with Bad Reboot or Secret Hideout
Note that I can only rate April by the snapshot you see of his command style in TAS and Pike by what you see in The Menagerie and The Cage but a single episode gives us a lot to see for each's style and command abilities.

I questioned putting #19 up because I don't consider anything by Bad Robot or Secret Hideout to be genuine Trek.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.