Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Is the internet a modern necessity or a luxury?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Is the internet a modern necessity or a luxury?
It is a modern necessity.
It is a luxury.
View Results (33 votes)

Cirashala
Valinor

May 6 2019, 2:44pm

Post #26 of 34 (3895 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

There are many communities, including my own area, that band together and help each other when the going gets tough. But there are also many others that aren't, and I do think it would be chaos for a while.

You make some great points!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 7 2019, 3:53pm

Post #27 of 34 (3803 views)
Shortcut
it is a double edged sword [In reply to] Can't Post

Like all other human inventions

like duct tape

there is a dark side and a light side

it is the force that binds the universe together

especially for those of us who grew up in muggle communities where we...do....not....fit....

so nice to find members of your own tribe online somewhere!

but also nice to reach out and learn about so many other things

and yes... we need to unplug, to turn off the phone, to go hike or paddle or ride into the wild sometimes...

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 9 2019, 7:52pm

Post #28 of 34 (3790 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, it's taken it's place as a necessity, but it didn't - and doesn't - have to be. [In reply to] Can't Post

(And, as such, I'm kind of torn on how to vote in the poll. Because I think it IS a luxury, and has only turned into a "modern necessity" because we've made it so.)

If we all really wanted to do without the internet, we could (and, of course, have before), but as other's have said - there's no turning back now. Or at least, nobody seems to want to turn back.

The internet is useful. But we rely on it so much that I do believe it's become a hindrance. I've begun stepping back from my internet use in a huge way, and it's amazing how much your head clears when you expose yourself to a non-online world for a spell.

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 10 2019, 2:32pm

Post #29 of 34 (3726 views)
Shortcut
It's the 24/7 nature that makes it a prison [In reply to] Can't Post

And I include smart phones with this since they have become part of the internet. I used to try semi-unplugging on weekends--checking my phone only once or twice a day and ignoring social media--but it just made people angry at me for not responding to their non-urgent text immediately like you're supposed to, or liking their frivolous video on social media 2 days late, which is uncouth.

I say semi-unplugged because I'd still use the internet to check the news, the weather, look at movie reviews, etc. But that's a different usage. Unplugging from the chatter aspect of the internet and phones: to me the constant chatter is neither luxury nor necessity, it's a prison when it's 24/7. When it's part-time, sure, it's fun.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 10 2019, 6:42pm

Post #30 of 34 (3711 views)
Shortcut
Ugh. [In reply to] Can't Post

but it just made people angry at me for not responding to their non-urgent text immediately like you're supposed to, or liking their frivolous video on social media 2 days late, which is uncouth.

See, this just makes me even more resolute to stay off those services. That mindset just infuriates me. Thankfully, I only really have a few really close friends on FB, all of whom know that they contact me through Messenger if they want to talk to me (this is how I communicate reguarly with one particular old friend - my best friend - whom I haven't seen in years, but we're close via Messenger).

Unfortunately, I have many other "Facebook friends" who are mostly just acquaintances, work friends, etc., and this has done nothing to aid my view of social media. I really should have been more careful when approving requests, etc. (and I feel like I'm too nice to un-friend them, lol Tongue). So I'd just rather not deal with it at all.

And Twitter is just a mess. It begins harmless enough, but it just becomes a sea of people complaining about stuff, 24/7. It puts me under so much stress and breeds such wanton negativity with no real benefit.

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on May 10 2019, 6:46pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 10 2019, 7:17pm

Post #31 of 34 (3705 views)
Shortcut
BTW, I do recognize the irony of me being negative about social media's negativity. :p [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 10 2019, 8:07pm

Post #32 of 34 (3700 views)
Shortcut
Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Twitter in particular can be ultra-negative, so recognizing that negativity takes a positive mind.

It should be renamed "Idster," where people go to release their Id, the negative part in all of us we're supposed to keep in check.

diedye
Grey Havens

Dec 25 2019, 6:15pm

Post #33 of 34 (892 views)
Shortcut
A luxury... [In reply to] Can't Post

Having grown up pre-internet, I can say that people were more connected BEFORE we got our noses stuck to a digital device. People made long-distance phone calls more meaningful because they knew it was expensive and it would be a while before they could contact one another again. (Yes, I know we can see each other now on Skype and such, but the conversations are disjointed and the images kinda creepy, TBH.) I'd rather listen to their voice on the phone and conjure up their image in my own mind according to the nuances in that voice.

Letters held so much emotion and having those words on paper to hold onto means more than some words on a computer/phone screen. I still get giddy when I receive a Christmas card in the mail (thanks, gramma Heart), which has become a rare occurrence nowadays and I must admit that I am the worst at remembering to send ours out until it's too late and I feel guilty for the rest of the year for having failed to do so. Blush

Don't get me wrong, I do like the internet and I own a laptop and it's fun surfing the WWW, but nothing beats having a meaningful conversation with someone you love and loves you in return.

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 30 2020, 12:58pm

Post #34 of 34 (216 views)
Shortcut
absolute necessity [In reply to] Can't Post

Necessity. Especially in these times.
I would not have made it throgh 6 months of quarantine without my online and offline friends and the possibility to chat or videochat with them.
Sitting alone in a suburb of Stockholm and being in 3-4 risk groups and thus ordered to stay at home would not have been bearable.

Now I have found a new job which I actually can do like 99% from home so it is even more necessary!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.