Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Real and mythological Silmarils

Na Vedui
Rohan

Apr 8, 8:41pm

Post #1 of 6 (2114 views)
Shortcut
Real and mythological Silmarils Can't Post

I was recently re-reading Wilkie Collins' "The Moonstone" (a classic early whodunnit/novel about the theft of a valuable diamond) and found a reference to it glowing in the dark, like a Silmaril. Since Collins' novel is set in Victorian England, I started to wonder if this was something that could really happen, and looked it up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_gemstones
The Wikipedia article not only covers the various ways in which certain gems can indeed shine in the dark, but a wealth of mythological references, even including some connecting shining gems with ships, a la Earendil !

Mari D.
Rivendell

Apr 8, 9:31pm

Post #2 of 6 (2080 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for introducing me to the concept ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I wasn't aware that gems can glow in the dark. It seems that it requires heat or prior exposure to sunlight, but still, very nice to know Smile

... non-native English speaker. If you reply to one of my posts feel free to help me improve by quoting + correcting the quote in CAPITAL letters :-)

Thanks everyone for your kind answers to my many questions! It's a delight for me to read them.

hanne
Lorien

Apr 8, 10:12pm

Post #3 of 6 (2070 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for sharing,, Na Vedui! A fascinating read.

Do any Tolkien scholars know if he ever mentioned the Visby garnets story, or the medieval tradition re Noah's stone? (Ark-stone, hee hee.)

cats16
Valinor

Apr 13, 5:40pm

Post #4 of 6 (1973 views)
Shortcut
I just learned this [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a fabulous exhibit on gems at the LA Natural History Museum. It's incredibly large and thorough. I could have spent an entire day or two in there studying each gem. They've collected thousands from just about every country. It was jaw-dropping to see so many in one place!

Anyway, one little window actually highlighted gems that glow in the dark. They even had the lights go on and off every 15 seconds or so, so you could see it for yourself. If anyone's in LA, you should check it out! The rest of the museum is fantastic too.

They also had a really eerie vault that housed a collection of jewelry (I can't remember the designer's name) that actually used moonstone in most if not all of the pieces. I felt like the vault could have been used for the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey--very spooky.

Love the book The Moonstone, by the way!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 16, 9:47pm

Post #5 of 6 (1926 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

May 10, 12:15pm

Post #6 of 6 (763 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful link! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea anything like that really existed. Beautiful discovery. Thank you, Na Vedui!

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.