Meet-up at the Morgan in NYC April 19!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Immortal

Apr 6 2019, 2:48pm

Post #1 of 27 (15363 views)
Shortcut
Meet-up at the Morgan in NYC April 19! Can't Post

confirming that there will be a Moot at the Morgan Library on Friday, April 19, to tour the Tolkien exhibit and then have a nosh of some sort. Shall we say 1 pm?

Entmaiden, Squire, and Dernwyn were pretty definite last time this was discussed. Are you all still in? Anyone else?

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 7 2019, 2:26am

Post #2 of 27 (15242 views)
Shortcut
Would you know [In reply to] Can't Post

if we need to get tickets ahead of time, for the Exhibit, and for the Tea?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Immortal

Apr 7 2019, 2:36am

Post #3 of 27 (15239 views)
Shortcut
it says advanced admission sales not available for this event [In reply to] Can't Post

and the cafe doesn't take reservations either.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Immortal

Apr 7 2019, 1:49pm

Post #4 of 27 (15198 views)
Shortcut
I think they don't do high tea that day [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a weekend thing. I'm coming from a brunch anyway. We could hit the cafe after, or I can investigate nearby places. Like a nice pub where we can hang out for a good while?

-- Gaston Bachelard

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 7 2019, 7:04pm

Post #5 of 27 (15180 views)
Shortcut
I wish I could be there [In reply to] Can't Post

April is always a month of mega-deadlines at work for me, but B.G. and I will be there in spirit and know you'll all have a fabulous time together. We were lucky enough to see the full exhibit in Oxford and if it's anything similar you're in for an amazing Tolkien-y treat!

To all of you going - have the best time ever!! We'll want piccies and reports, of course! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 8 2019, 5:39am)

squire
Half-elven

Apr 7 2019, 11:31pm

Post #6 of 27 (15188 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking forward to this [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand that the 1 PM meeting follows several people having lunch dates preceding the get-together. I will note that, from what I've heard, when you buy a ticket there can be a substantial wait time (like an hour or two) before you actually get to go upstairs, due to the limited capacity of the gallery and the volume of visitors. Should we look into asking someone to show up earlier, get tickets, and hold a place in line prior to 1 PM? (If that's even allowed by the museum).

Or in the best moot tradition should we flexibly repair to the nearest watering hole and socialize before even seeing whatever the heck we're suppose to be seeing, then liquidly seep back to the show about 3 to blearily gaze at a bunch ... oh, you know ... Tolkien stuf ... stuff ... material [giggle] ... paintings and things! ...things?

Also, don't forget the following rules, from the exhibit website:
Costumes are permitted
Shoes must be worn at all times
No masks, wizard staffs, scepters, axes, bow and arrows, or swords are permitted

This doesn't affect me, but ladies??

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 8 2019, 2:43pm

Post #7 of 27 (15129 views)
Shortcut
Hmm ... [In reply to] Can't Post

let me talk to my niece about y'all joining us for brunch.

No ban on elf-ears, I note.

-- Gaston Bachelard

(This post was edited by Annael on Apr 8 2019, 2:44pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Apr 13 2019, 9:39pm

Post #8 of 27 (14746 views)
Shortcut
Just stopping in to say that the exhibition is AWESOME [In reply to] Can't Post

You will not be disappointed - it is beautiful. I do recommend getting there as early as possible, however, since it's a first come, first-serve set up, and we got our tickets at around 11:30 and had to wait until 1:00 before we were let in, so we just popped over to a restaurant down the street and spent some time browsing through the rest of the museum - which is fairly interesting, if you like Rennaisance Drawings and Canadian Photography. But the exhibition itself, once you get in, is brilliant - I was almost in tears by the end. Also, don't miss out on the special book that's on sale at the gift shop: it's beautiful, and contains a lot of stuff that's not on display in the exhibit itself.

"We are Kree"

Annael
Immortal

Apr 14 2019, 2:17pm

Post #9 of 27 (14672 views)
Shortcut
getting tickets and then popping out for lunch sounds like a good plan // [In reply to] Can't Post

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Immortal

Apr 14 2019, 2:50pm

Post #10 of 27 (14675 views)
Shortcut
this might be an appropriate place [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.theshakespearenyc.com/

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Immortal

Apr 14 2019, 5:26pm

Post #11 of 27 (14666 views)
Shortcut
or [In reply to] Can't Post

we could just go to the museum cafe, which has a Tolkien-themed brunch option (or regular menu if you don't want to pay $39 for a large meal with mead in the middle of the day . . .). The museum opens at 10:30 am; you have to buy tickets in person. Shall we meet at the ticket counter at 10:30 and decide what to do?

-- Gaston Bachelard

squire
Half-elven

Apr 14 2019, 6:14pm

Post #12 of 27 (14671 views)
Shortcut
I can do 10:30 - or later. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with William's menu is properly Anglophilic and tasty but very pricey. The Morgan cafe's prices are a little lower but not by much. New York is New York.

In fact the immediate area is crawling with joints from bistros to pubs to holes in the wall - the group may want to weigh in, case a few of the joints, or otherwise decide on the spot. The thing is to get the show tickets first, for sure.

The tricky part at any of the dining options will be getting a table for what, four to six?, at lunch hour on a half-holiday (Good Friday, so many offices may be closed and so the lunch crowds may be smaller).

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 15 2019, 1:47am

Post #13 of 27 (14622 views)
Shortcut
We can get there by 10:30 [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like we'll be taking the commuter train in (how can Amtrak run out of seats!), but it drops us off at Grand Central just after 10:00, only a short walk away.

Thank you for the warning about the tickets, Thor'n! I'm not sure what to expect, I don't know if Good Friday is considered a holiday in New York, but it sounds like the exhibit has been well-attended!

Annael
Immortal

Apr 15 2019, 4:02pm

Post #14 of 27 (14561 views)
Shortcut
Looks like six of us? [In reply to] Can't Post

me and my niece (known as Diamond on the boards a long time ago)
Dernwyn and ?
Squire
entmaiden

anyone else?

-- Gaston Bachelard

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 15 2019, 10:28pm

Post #15 of 27 (14533 views)
Shortcut
I can't make it, sadly :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Real life has overtaken me, and I won't be able to join you all. Have a wonderful time!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 16 2019, 1:32am

Post #16 of 27 (14514 views)
Shortcut
Oh, no! [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed you in Chicago, and I'll miss you here! Unsure

However: congrats on the Fighting Irish overcoming the Huskies, they really did play a better game. And even though they lost to Baylor, that was a great final game! Smile

Annael
Immortal

Apr 16 2019, 3:11pm

Post #17 of 27 (14457 views)
Shortcut
oh noes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, my choir auction's in a couple of weeks and I have decided to bid on the trip to Chicago with tickets to "Hamilton" . . . fingers crossed I'll still get to see you this year!

(Always welcome in Seattle for a Chihuly glass tour too . . . )

-- Gaston Bachelard

acheron
Gondor

Apr 17 2019, 2:04am

Post #18 of 27 (14414 views)
Shortcut
Seconded! [In reply to] Can't Post

Got to go this past weekend and it was fantastic. I don’t think anyone will be disappointed!

When I went, we got there about half an hour before the museum opened and a line was already forming. We were able to go right in but there were long waits behind us.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 17 2019, 10:36pm

Post #19 of 27 (14298 views)
Shortcut
if no one objects, I'd like to join you all for this. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

squire
Half-elven

Apr 17 2019, 10:54pm

Post #20 of 27 (14320 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! [In reply to] Can't Post

Please do! I hope I speak for the ladies, as well.

What the heck are you doing in NYC this weekend of all weekends?

squire online:

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 18 2019, 12:47am

Post #21 of 27 (14301 views)
Shortcut
Omigosh! [In reply to] Can't Post

It'll be great to see you again! Are you visiting NYC or the area?

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 19 2019, 1:49am

Post #22 of 27 (14163 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll see you there.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

squire
Half-elven

Apr 20 2019, 12:14am

Post #23 of 27 (14081 views)
Shortcut
We had a hoot of a moot! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a lot of fun to see Annael and her niece, Dernwyn and her husband, and N.E. Brigand at the Morgan Library Tolkien exhibit today. The exhibit, which I myself had seen before, repays a second or third visit and is just plain fun to look at. You think of Tolkien, bent over another painting or map late at night, and now he's invisibly looking over your shoulder as you marvel at the detail, the sense of color, line, and composition, and the incorporation of narrative and imagery that makes his legendarium the BEST legendarium.

Annael's niece works in the area, and found us an excellent lunch spot where we traded gossip, war stories, and thoughts about the exhibit, TORn, and Tolkien. The funniest thing that I remember is when Annael innocently asked the pleasant gentleman opposite her at the table what his TORn nick was - she had not made the connection, having left for the East Coast just before he joined the moot - and when he confessed he was N.E. Brigand the expression on her face (not to mention the kowtows she reverently performed) was a study in wonder.

squire online:

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 20 2019, 4:34am

Post #24 of 27 (14046 views)
Shortcut
So glad you all had such a great time! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great story about Annael and NEB. As they say - priceless! Laugh

I remember at the Oxford exhibit seeing Tolkien's pipe, glasses, walking stick, and even his desk! Awe doesn't begin to describe it. Having seen the NY Exhibit before, did you serve as a bit of tour guide, pointing out things not to miss and making sure everyone caught all the highlights? (as if anything there *wasn't* a highlight).

Thanks for the report. It makes me wish B.G. and I had been there all the more, but all the happier that good friends met up and enjoyed each others' company. Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 20 2019, 1:21pm

Post #25 of 27 (14018 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he was a great "tour guide"! [In reply to] Can't Post

One special thing squire pointed out, is that Tolkien's paintings are so finely detailed, that some of his brushes must have been only a single bristle. There is so much detail within a picture that is the size of a sheet of paper, or smaller - you look closely at it, and realize it's the tiniest dabs of paint he's used!

But Tolkien was an amazing artist, even in his doodles. The display includes pages from newspapers, where he's made fine black-and-white or colored drawings over the articles. His Middle-earth map sketches are also finely detailed. And there's a sample of his writing style, where he's written in ink over the pencilled draft. Oh, and his professor's gown!

It's taking me some time to process seeing all that was in that room, so much artwork and photographs and letters are in that collection. One that keeps coming back to me is a letter written by his mother, Mabel. The printing is fine, with several letters which have curls, and bring to mind the Tengwar script.

It was fun going through the exhibit together, making comments on the pieces! I was delighted that NEB had been able to travel to NYC for this. Oh, yes, Annael's sudden recognition of NEB was priceless, a moment to never be forgotten. Smile Her niece is a lovely woman who found us a perfect place to just hang out together for lunch and longer afterwards!

After squire left the group, she took us to the New York Public Library, where I think we all took pictures of its Reading Room with its two floors of books along the side, and ornate ceiling. Then to Bryant Park, where we hung out longer, until the wind kicked up and a thunderstorm was showing on the radar. Time for Mr. D. and me to head to Grand Central Station for the train home!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.