Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
YouTuber gains Hugo Award nomination for A Hobbit Duology: A Documentary in Three Parts

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 5, 10:02pm

Post #1 of 15 (4405 views)
Shortcut
YouTuber gains Hugo Award nomination for A Hobbit Duology: A Documentary in Three Parts Can't Post

Read the story here: https://www.pastemagazine.com/...o8T4bkOlvBMjFTyeD9Ls.

And here's a list of all the Hugo nominations for 2019: https://www.tor.com/...finalists-announced/

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 11, 1:23pm

Post #2 of 15 (4281 views)
Shortcut
I was very surprised with how much I like this :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how her series expanded from 2 to 3 parts… just like Jackson's LotR and Hobbit films ;)

She's used a fascinating (and very entertaining) pace of editing the 2 films (Hobbit/LotR) to show the comparison of the development of the stories. She also made some good points on how The Hobbit films couldn't keep up with the strength of the LotR films.

I love how quirky she is in her narration and of how she came to/definded her opinion. She's completely serious, but she's still a geeky fan. She totally had me when she referred to The Battle of Five Armies and not THE Five Armies. *geeky hand clapping* Here's a serious steward of Tolkien's work :D I love how I don't feel lectured to or schooled. She's taking a serious look at how the stories were converted to film… and she's spot on in so many ways, imho, while at the same time offering a history of how Tolkien's works came to be... how they're intertwined.

This is great! I really enjoyed it VERY MUCH and can see why her work is up for an award. Well Done!

Thanks Ataahua! I'm going to watch this again!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Solicitr
Rohan

Apr 11, 2:32pm

Post #3 of 15 (4272 views)
Shortcut
I think she's probably right [In reply to] Can't Post

that there was much more Studio Interference here than in the LR. But we are no nearer to an answer to the biggest mystery of the whole affair: del Toro's abrupt firing, AND the complete scrapping of 18 months of pre-production, so that PJ started over from scratch with rush and lack of preparation hampering everything that was done thereafter.

Plainly either the studios, or the Executive Producer (PJ) didn't like GdT's vision for the movie, and Somebody decreed that Hobbit had to be LR:The Prequel (which doomed it).

Still, I think Lindsay lets PJ off the hook too easily. While it's true the studio may have interfered in various ways, it's not the studio's fault that this time around PJ indulged his worst adolescent excesses, a tendency which had been somewhat restrained and thus marred but at least didn't ruin the LR.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Apr 12, 9:54pm

Post #4 of 15 (4187 views)
Shortcut
yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ's Hobbit is a complete dumpster fire of an adaptation, and I can't imagine what DelToro would have done would have been much worse. Understandably they were going to try to sell it as a prequel to the LotR for marketing purposes as the majority of movie goers only know of the story from it, but I agree, the ham handed way it was handled along with PJ's love of over the top everything and no one telling him "No, that's just silly." from time to time, is what's to blame. He really should have just filmed the book as is...everything he added that wasn't in the book is simply terrible.

Solicitr
Rohan

Apr 13, 12:08am

Post #5 of 15 (4182 views)
Shortcut
everything he added that wasn't in the book is simply terrible. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which was also true of LR, but there there was much less of it. With The Dwarf, about 2/3 of it was bad fan-fic.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Apr 13, 11:46am

Post #6 of 15 (4145 views)
Shortcut

I agree, the PJ additions/alterations to LotR are all terrible as well, but they were at least spaced out enough that it didn't completely ruin the movie...the Hobbit starts out mostly alright, but starts going downhill very quickly and once it gets rolling, it just gets worse and worse and by the end, you can almost forget you are supposed to be watching an adaptation of Tolkien's book.

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Apr 13, 12:02pm

Post #7 of 15 (4145 views)
Shortcut
I think a case could be made..... [In reply to] Can't Post

That both adaptations are equally terrible. Did you see what he post about the Gondorians?

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Apr 13, 12:28pm

Post #8 of 15 (4137 views)
Shortcut

but still, the LotR did a better job of tricking the audience into not realizing it was a terrible adaptation, which makes it the better adaptation. TH makes no attempt to hide it, it's just all right there dangling in your face.

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Apr 13, 1:04pm

Post #9 of 15 (4127 views)
Shortcut
Now I agree with you. // [In reply to] Can't Post

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Apr 13, 7:34pm

Post #10 of 15 (4116 views)
Shortcut
but to be clear... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not saying LotR is a terrible adaptation, only that it contains all of the very same elements that make TH a terrible adaptation but spread out in a much less obvious way. TH to me is like 9 hours of Legolas surfing down a flight of stairs on a shield, followed by Gimli farting and yelling "Nobody tosses a dwarf!" and saying it was based on the book by J.R.R. Tolkien.

(This post was edited by 2ndBreffest on Apr 13, 7:38pm)

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Apr 14, 4:35am

Post #11 of 15 (4067 views)
Shortcut
Then I''m afraid... [In reply to] Can't Post

we disagree again.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Apr 14, 11:03am

Post #12 of 15 (4033 views)
Shortcut

however, if I were to judge them from a strictly purist perspective then both would be terrible adaptations...but TH would still be the worst.

Solicitr
Rohan

Apr 14, 4:07pm

Post #13 of 15 (4024 views)
Shortcut
I would say that [In reply to] Can't Post

there is a progressive descent from Movies I through VI; An almost acceptable adaptation with few throw-objects-at-the-screen horribles for FR, but thereafter an increasing admixture of Jacksonian childishness and Boyensite "I can tell Tolkien's story better than he could" topped off with ever more screentime devoted to off-the-rails fabrications written on a Dragonlance level (sorry, that's an insult to Dragonlance) and moronic CGI action of sub-Michael-Bay standard.

Legolas leaping onto a horse in one motion was cool. Legolas surfing on a shield was silly. Legolas climbing and clearing off a war-mumak was preposterous. Legolas climbing up a falling avalanche was an insult to the audience.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Apr 14, 4:30pm

Post #14 of 15 (4018 views)
Shortcut

but by the time I got to the skipping up the falling bridge part, my brain was already too numb from the 8 hours of stupidity that preceded it to feel insulted.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 22, 11:01pm

Post #15 of 15 (3605 views)
Shortcut
I hope to find time to see this. [In reply to] Can't Post

One prominent Tolkien scholar (and former Hugo Awards administrator) commented on the video here. I referenced TORN in a response.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.