Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
My possible solution to the Hobbit problem

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Apr 4, 8:48am

Post #1 of 10 (2985 views)
Shortcut
My possible solution to the Hobbit problem Can't Post

The problem been that there are some inaccuracies between the Hobbit and the Lotr such as swords, la-la Elves, make up of Wizards and Rings etc. Well, my solution is that the Lotr is a tale told by the omniscient narrator been someone that knows everything and is therefore, mostly at least, accurate. The Hobbit meantime is told in narration form by a kindly older relative even to children a well-meaning person that does have the basic facts correct but can sometimes have a wrong memory or information of events and is not quite always to be 100% trusted.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 4, 1:58pm

Post #2 of 10 (2939 views)
Shortcut
A Corrected edition of The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I could only make one correction to The Hobbit for a future edition, it would be to make the birth order of Fili and Kili consistent with Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings. The rest I can live with.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 15, 11:18pm

Post #3 of 10 (2780 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe it's the other way around? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Solicitr
Rohan

Apr 15, 11:22pm

Post #4 of 10 (2786 views)
Shortcut
But then again [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If I could only make one correction to The Hobbit for a future edition, it would be to make the birth order of Fili and Kili consistent with Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings. The rest I can live with.

It could be said that The Hobbit, having been published first, was correct and Appendix B was thus in error.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 16, 1:46pm

Post #5 of 10 (2715 views)
Shortcut
That argument could be made. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It could be said that The Hobbit, having been published first, was correct and Appendix B was thus in error.

Rather than alter Tolkien's "Line of the Dwarves of Erebor" as it was presented in The Lord of the Rings Appendix A, I would see that as revising the birth order given in The Hobbit. Similarly, Bilbo's recollection of Gandalf's "great council of the white wizards" is revealed in LotR to have been the White Council, founded by Elrond, Galadriel and others of the Wise.

Solicitr
Rohan

Apr 16, 3:04pm

Post #6 of 10 (2704 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

we could, as with so much else in The Hobbit, just chalk it up to First Season Weirdness and let it go.

Real history is full of contradictions; if fake history is too perfect then it looks fake!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 16, 3:09pm

Post #7 of 10 (2703 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

...we can always take Bilbo to be an unreliable narrator and assume that he mistakenly named Kili as the older brother in his account.

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Apr 26, 9:47am

Post #8 of 10 (2094 views)
Shortcut
In which way was the birth of Fili and Kili inconsistent? [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 26, 1:41pm

Post #9 of 10 (2067 views)
Shortcut
Birth order is reversed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In which way was the birth of Fili and Kili inconsistent?

In Chapter 8 of The Hobbit, "Flies and Spiders", it is alleged that Fili is the youngest Dwarf in the company ("'Dori is the strongest, but Fili is the youngest and still has the best sight,' said Thorin."). However, Tolkien's "Line of the Dwarves of Erebor" in Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings reveals that Fili (born in the year 2859) is five years older than Kili (born in 2864). As I wrote above, we could explain this as a failure of Bilbo's memory in his original account or as a mistake made by Tolkien as the 'translator'. My assumption here is to treat the genealogical chart as accurate.

Either way, though, this inconsistency would have been easy to fix.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 26, 1:44pm)

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

May 4, 9:04am

Post #10 of 10 (1569 views)
Shortcut
One would think [In reply to] Can't Post

That Thorin would remember which of his nephews was the eldest. Or possibly whoever wrote the annals of years made a mistake! We just don't know really.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.