Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
George R. R. Martin Writes Novelizations of Amazon’s LOTR Series!

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 1 2019, 6:02am

Post #1 of 11 (4681 views)
Shortcut
George R. R. Martin Writes Novelizations of Amazon’s LOTR Series! Can't Post

George R. R. Martin Writes Novelizations of Amazon’s LOTR Series!

Seattle, Apr 1st, 2019 – Today the internet corporation Amazon published news that should make both Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones fans extremely happy. Not only that Amazon is currently developing a Lord of the Rings series. Also, each of the five planned seasons are to be novelized and published in novel form, based on the series’ scripts. Today Amazon revealed the name of the author who will be writing those novelizations. It’s none other than George R. R. Martin, author of the Song of Ice and Fire book series, upon which the successful TV series Game of Thrones is based!

Sharon Tal Iguado, Head of Event Series at Amazon: “We are extraordinarily happy to have secured support from such a great writer in the fantasy genre. I am sure George will adapt our scripts adequately for fans of Tolkien. George likes the books by J. R. R. Tolkien very much, and, judging by his own previous literary works, he is going to be a worthy successor to continue Tolkien’s universe.”

The writer is very close-lipped as far as the details of the plots of the future books are concerned. However, he has offered some insight into the details of his deal with Amazon.

“Look, the Game of Thrones series on HBO is about to be finished. The other projects, the spin-offs, they are written by other people. I involved in them in name only. However, now I will be busy working for Amazon 100% of my time, I will be writing novels after their Rings scripts. We are currently planning to release one novel per season. I am sure to be able to keep up with this tempo.”

On the topic of whether Martin feels up to filling Tolkien’s larger-than-life shoes, he told:

“I already told that I admire Tolkien. He has managed like no-one else to develop a convincing concept of a Dark Lord with his evil minions. It is hard to fill out his shoes: nowadays you cannot really write about evil dark lords, it’s been beaten to death. However, this is what interests me in our collaboration with Amazon. I will try out for myself, whether I can keep up with the style specified by J. R. R. Tolkien. On the other hand, I also want to bring in own ideas into this universe. Like in Ice & Fire, there will not be just good or just bad characters with Amazon. All the characters are shades of grey, if you pardon my pun.”

Another press release was published by the Tolkien Estate today:

“We are rather happy that George R. R. Martin is participating in this project. This young, aspiring author has already written some quite promising novels in this genre. Therefore, we believe that his fresh ideas will wonderfully integrate into J. R. R. Tolkien’s works and will complement them. We expect that the novelizations will, on the one hand, preserve Tolkien’s style; on the other hand, we hope that they bring in some new ideas so beloved by the readers of the Song of Ice and Fire.”

The publishing house HarperCollins is rather excited about the new project:

„Right from the start we believed that the collaboration with Amazon would wind up the sales of J. R. R. Tolkien’s books from our portfolio. Now we see major perspective to release some new works from the same universe – something only hinted at by Tolkien in his Appendices about the Second Age. And George R. R. Martin is an ideal candidate. We hope to make new fans familiar with Tolkien’s works – the ones that only read books by Martin at this point.”

According to HarperCollins, the novelizations will be released in a new series named J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. The series will be published in the same design as the works by Professor Tolkien, which is important for the collectors’ market.

One question remains. Due to this new job for Amazon: when is George R. R. Martin going to finish his series The Song of Ice and Fire?

The writer is rather reserved on this subject:

“The next book, The Winds of Winter, will be done when it’s done. I am not in a hurry. You see, the Amazon project is an absolutely top priority right now.”

Source: Amazon

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Apr 1 2019, 6:07am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2019, 9:54am

Post #2 of 11 (4603 views)
Shortcut
From afar, 'Game of Thrones' has seemed to me devoid of any Eru [In reply to] Can't Post

and replete with evil lords of both genders all eager to get to the Throne. Also, my impression is that the whole thing is spiced up with much more sex stuff than is found in Tolkien's world.

So my first reaction to these momentous news was almost of dismay.
But then, reading further down, I saw that the Tolkien Estate enthusistically approves of the decision and choice of the author!!!
So, my question now is: have I been wrong all along concerning 'Game of Thrones'??? Should I have been watching it all along as eagerly as I have my dear Two Middle-earth Trilogies by Peter Jackson???

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Dipling
Lorien

Apr 1 2019, 12:00pm

Post #3 of 11 (4596 views)
Shortcut
Almost... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 1 2019, 1:13pm

Post #4 of 11 (4571 views)
Shortcut
"Young, aspiring author"? [In reply to] Can't Post

For just a moment, you had me! Laugh

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 1 2019, 1:15pm)

Belegdir
Lorien

Apr 1 2019, 1:33pm

Post #5 of 11 (4562 views)
Shortcut
Nice try. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Apr 1 2019, 3:13pm

Post #6 of 11 (4499 views)
Shortcut
You nearly had me there for a moment! [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost passed out from shock. Laugh

"We are Kree"

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 1 2019, 7:51pm

Post #7 of 11 (4366 views)
Shortcut
Very good! Great effort! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 1 2019, 9:24pm

Post #8 of 11 (4338 views)
Shortcut
I am sure he is thinking ways of introducing busty tavern maids, elven hanky panky, [In reply to] Can't Post

simmering scenes in the plains of Rohan, freakish orcish coupling, etc.

Evil

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 2 2019, 7:14am

Post #9 of 11 (4246 views)
Shortcut
Merry... [In reply to] Can't Post

...April's Fools! Smile

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Noria
Gondor

Apr 2 2019, 12:55pm

Post #10 of 11 (4193 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful - you had me too until... [In reply to] Can't Post

the article started "quoting" Martin and then of course, the young aspiring writer coupled with a photo of the actual man.

I loved the implication that Martin was never going to finish the book series, which actually doesn't seem unlikely.

And the whole novelizations thing. As if....

I was taken in partly because for all that A song of Ice and Fire and the TV series GoT are the antithesis of Tolkien, Martin is not only about sex, violence and betrayal. Amongst other things, he was also the writer-producer of the hyper-romantic 1990s TV series Beauty and the Beast with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 2 2019, 1:23pm

Post #11 of 11 (4186 views)
Shortcut
George R.R. Martin: A wild card. [In reply to] Can't Post

Until the Song of Ice and Fire series, I previously associated Martin mostly (and fondly) with the Wild Cards series of shared-world books, apparently loosely based on a Champions/i] role-playing game campaign that he game-mastered.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 2 2019, 1:25pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.